Thread: A little inspiration for the afternoon

A little inspiration for the afternoon

It definitely bums me out sometimes that women get such a wider range of fashion choices than men, so I was really delighted to see this Buzzfeed list (ugh, I know, a Buzzfeed list, but still): "These Men Are Killing The Whole “No Makeup-Makeup” Look". Maybe things are -slooowly - moving in the right direction? And I really want to try some of the looks!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/augustafalle...ook#.esPLnRQW9

Reality Check
    I don't understand why men would "want to get to wear makeup". Men have it lucky, we aren't expected to spend hours on our makeup trying to look better than we actually look.

For historical information, many, many years ago when musicians and singers didn't try to look like douchebags, we did wear makeup to try to cover our beard shadows. It was called "show" business back then.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I agree with Krisi that we have it made since we do not have to spend hours to look prettier.
    Yet, I am jealous of the wide variety of clothes, shoes/heels, and makeup styles women have.
    I will be in makeup for an upcoming theatre show next week.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Ironically, I tend to date women who wear very little makeup - I certainly don't appreciate the societal expectation that women go to the nines on it, so I sort of get what you're saying, Krisi.

I guess I was going for the idea that a pretty high degree of androgyny is tolerated (or appreciated) in women, and far less so for men, and that I appreciate any movement in the culture to embrace a wider spectrum of "acceptable" male appearance as well. Personally, one of my favorite things about getting into femme mode is doing my makeup, and part of me thinks it will be great to be able to do that to some extent en homme as well. It would also be great if we as a society could learn to embrace men with no makeup wearing skirts or dresses as a natural male appearance, but I think that's a long way off, so is like to celebrate the small steps I do see out there...

And of course, "many, many years ago," pharaohs wore makeup, Loius XIII painted on beauty spots, and dandies throughout the ages have played with gender expectations. These tides turn, and it would be nice to think we're in the middle of a little of that now.

Banned Read only
    Some millennia AFTER cross dressing is accepted will this become acceptable. This is not real life, this is like runway fashion: it never becomes reality

Platinum Member
    Personally, I am not shooting for a man in makeup look....if I must be drab then I'll be full drab.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Not sure things are slowly moving in the right direction -- to me, they're pretty much standing where they've always been. I have "old Irish guy complexion" which is a combination of vampire-white skin covered with tiny red splotches. I've been using a light foundation makeup for years to look "normal," which I take to be the "no makeup-makeup look." Even in high school I wore flesh-tone Clearasil to even out my complexion.

Yikes some of those are anything BUT subtle, they have no pores! I think makeup is fun and a great form of artistic self expression, I'd LOVE to be able to get away with it in boy mode!

The Girl in a blue dress. Jennifer B's Avatar

A little foundation can make a difference. I sometimes use some foundation or BB cream in drab just to even out the complexion a bit.

Aspiring Member
    Yikes. They are all twenty somethings. When I was twenty I would have looked real pretty with just a touch of blush and bling. But now.....

Ineke