Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Courage, is it always there ?

Courage, is it always there ?

I thought that as time went by going out and buying things would get easier but now I am beginning to doubt myself again, my courage to go and ask has diminished somewhat and not having had much success via the internet I decided that I should actually go and be measured for a bra, but try as I might I cannot get up enough courage, take the bull by the horns and go and ask.
    Has this happened to any of you girls as well ?. Where do I go from now HELP

''There is no courage without fear''

Ive gone from courage to fear over the years, at the moment im quite happy to walk into a big department store and browse and purchase clothing, still worried while I do it but I can do it. As for small brick and mortar shops im not so sure but what you cant do now does not mean you wont ever, Keep strong and you will find a way!
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Reality Check
    You can measure yourself for a bra or have a friend do it. Use the instructions usually found on the manufacturer's website because some manufacturers size their bras differently.

I wear Ahh Bras and Genie Bras. These are sized very differently and stretch to fit. I can wear my 2X with or without my forms, they fit either way. eBay is a good source.

hi krisi, I tried that but I was not very successful at it and had a couple of wrong goes that is why I would like to go and get measured properly I need to rekindle the courage and go and do it, thank you for your suggestion.

Is courage always there? No. I often feel just fine at home but when I venture out I get that same pit-of-the-stomach feeling I used to get before every race.

Being afraid just means that you understand that there is a risk. Courage is seeing that risk and doing it anyway.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Banned Read only
    I'd pretty much follow Krisi's recommendation. There are numerous Internet sites for measuring band and cup sizes. Frankly, since most of us do not have any flesh to pack into a bra cup, I really don't see too much difficulty in finding a bra. You may be having difficulty in assessing what image you want to project. Is it a full figure? What type forms are you going to use? I consider myself full figured, especially since I wear a size 18 or XL dress. If you're petite then trying to project a large bust may not work well. There is usually some correlation between body type and cup size. If you are going to be measured by a professional, the recommendations are probably going to be somewhere along your body type. If you're band size is a 32, I doubt your cup size is going to be DD.

The problem I have encountered sometimes has been in the length of the straps. Somehow I attribute that problem to a design floor. I've bought some bras where the cups ride up on the chest, even though the band size is correct. There was just not enough strap to allow the band to ride correctly where a natural breast would be. I just chalked it up to, "oh well, live and learn!" Those issues are not going to be corrected unless there is an in-person fitting. You may find reading the comments for an clothing on retailer websites, such as J C Penny. Many women will comment on the fit or issues they encounter. Sometimes you'll find comments by cross dressers. For instance, comments on dresses may indicate the dress for a size may run small or large.

You may just have to suck it up and call some stores for a fitting. I would not just walk and ask. Some SA's may be apprehensive measuring a man for a bra. If you're going to try a bra on at a particular store, such as Catherine's (plus size) be prepared to buy something. I'd check a chain stores on-line offerings to make sure there is some style you really would be interested in buying.

Halloween is coming up soon. You may be able to get some courage up by indicating you want to go to a party as a woman, but, not as a tramp. With Halloween on a Saturday, there should be ample reason to dress Friday, also.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    Being afraid just means that you understand that there is a risk. Courage is seeing that risk and doing it anyway.
    - MM
    Ooooh, I love this. This could be used for anything.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    The great thing about having removable boobs, is that it makes bra fitting ridiculously easy.

Get a tape measure and wrap it around your chest where the band of the bra should sit. This is your band size. For instance mine is 42. I have C sized forms. Hence I wear a 42C. Has worked like a charm every time so far. No need for a fitting :-)
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Reality Check
    Bras come in even band sizes (38, 40, 42, 44, etc.) If you measure yourself and buy a bra based on your measurements, it will either fit, be too big or two small. Take it back and get the next biggest or smallest size and it should fit. The cup size depends on your forms so that may take some experimenting as well but the band size will stay the same.

Again, the Internet is your friend here. Do a web search on "bra sizing" and study the results.

Most women's clothing catalogs explain how to measure for a bra. Of course the actual cut depends on the company making it, where they are located, etc. Just like any other piece of clothing. There is really no "holy grail" to doing this other then trying it on before buying.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    How do you account for moobs? It seems I have a natural b-cup.

Platinum Member
    Hi Bobbi, You will regret the things that you didn't do more than the things that you actually did do as you get older.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    My feeling, having lived in darkest France for 10 years, is that the Brits are a more tolerant people than the French. I just don't see crossdressers on the street here (Provence). Male and female roles are very traditional, roughly what they were in 1950s UK; France is basically ultra-conservative. I bought make up at Sephora in Avignon and although the girl handled it well, I could tell she was not used to dealing with a man asking her questions about foundation and eyeliner.

My advice is study the art of measuring, then go and buy a few cheapies in and around what you believe your size to be, and learn from the experience. Go to a huge chain store for low prices and anonymity. Once you have a feel for what you want, then either go back online, or just go ahead and buy what you want in a lingerie shop - believe me, times are hard, they want your business.

On the other hand, if you really want to do it the proper way, go into a number of lingerie shops (there are at least 3 in any sizeable town) until you find an assistant/owner you like, and lay your cards on the table. What's the worst that can happen? Some minor embarrassment? Faint heart never won fair lady.
    I used to have a short attention spa

the only problem with that Nikki, is that those first-time nerves can have even people like me stammering and shaking like a leaf, and that can look quite close to the pervert's excitement to an observer. That aint so good. So I feel its necessary to do gentle steps at a time, increasing confidence with each little win.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Sometimes it's easier to do something for the first time than it is to do it over and over. Your first time, you're doing something new and exciting. The excitement makes it worth the risk. After you've done it for a while, it becomes ordinary. Once it's become ordinary it's no longer worth the (perceived) risk. What you're feeling is normal.

Nobody sells a 46A :/

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Banned Read only
    Bobbi,
    I was confused about bra sizing so I rang Ultimo helpline , she couldn't have been more helpful and gave me my correct size from my measurements.

There was an interesting article in a national newspaper a while ago about bra sizing, a journalist tried about a dozen well known shops in London and came out with one perfectly fitting bra . As a GG she had no fears obviously but fared little better than a CDer, at least most of us can alter our bust size at will !

Reality Check
    For anyone looking for an "A" cup bra or "AA" cup, check for mastectomy bras. A woman with very small breasts wouldn't normally need to wear a bra but if she loses a breast, a bra is needed to hold a form.

And, as I have posted many times, an "Ahh Bra" or Genie Bra will stretch to fit most anything within reason. I'm guessing a 4X Ahh Bra would fit a 46A.

The interesting and troublesome aspect of following directions to get he perfect bra size is that there are at least 2 different ways to determine bra band and cup size. The old tried and true method is as described in one of the previous posts above. measure where the bra band would be and that is your band size. Then measure over the fullest part of the breast and the difference in dimensions would indicate the cup size, normally rounding up is having an odd number measurement/difference. Now, I have recently run into that other method of measuring your band size and then adding 4 inches to that to determine the correct bra band size. One p-lace that follows that method is Janet's Closet.

If you are wearing forms, it has always been recommended that you use an underwire bra to keep those forms from migrating around and possibly out of the bra cup itself. I understand that some have had no problem using bras without an underwire, but I personally have. So, that is another thing to consider. I prefer a tighter fit that keeps the forms in the right place and orientation and helps develop a little cleavage too.

I own 'sports bras' They are not the same thing as a bra with cups..

I don't want forms. I want pretty things meant for ME.

This comes close: Body Aware

I'm a girl, dammit. Yes, I live in a big male body. I didn't get any say in that. I wasn't consulted.

My wife agrees.

- MM
    Last edited by mechamoose; 09-09-2015 at 04:45 PM.

I guess there is no easy way out of gaining courage to go into shops to buy lingerie or skirts or whatever I suppose the more one thinks about it the harder it could get to go out to the shops and buy whatever, If only there was a friend near me who could come with me one day and thus give me moral support.

Painted toes n panties Cassandra*'s Avatar
    Courage begins with you looking in the mirror and saying I can do this. Everyone has this problem and has to work through the nots in the stomach. For instance I've recently been given the chance to take on a managers position. I have to try it so should you. I was sized at a CD store and I recommend you do the same if possible. I walked in as a man and they sent me out as a woman. Good luck Bobbi you can do this‼️💄

You can do this.

};>

Silver Member
    You can address your fear after you name your fear. What is your fear? Once you identify your fear, look at it rationally. What are the outcomes, what are the probabilities, what is your loss for doing and not doing? Then confront your fears.

Is it easy, not necessarily. But when you have succeeded, you have built something.