Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you pretty?

Are you pretty?

Maybe we hate to admit it, but a lot of us "gurls", myself included, just are not conventionally femininely pretty. No matter how hard we try.
    How important is it to you that you, as a woman, be considered "pretty"?
    Make up and clothes can give us the regalia of femininity, but are we striving to attain the basic "pretty" appellation that puts the stamp of approval on our hobby?
    If you are able to attain real prettiness as a woman, do you think you feel differently than the CD'er who even MAC can't help?
    Lot of questions but let's do one more.
    If you can't attain real feminine prettiness, do you think any less of yourself as a woman and do you think others dismiss you more easily as the woman you want to be?
    I'm a Wendy and I love it!!!!

At times usually after a day or two from the pictures I don't see the prettiness that u though I saw when I took the pick. But we all hold ourselves in a different light than what others see. I feel I need lots of work. But some others may see that differently.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

I put my best foot forward to look decent en femme. As to whether I look pretty, I leave for others to decide.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Silver Member
    Wendy,

I can do ok, and once in a while I am truly happy with the results. I am not drop dead gorgeous, but I don't think I'm repugnant either. I've never had aan overly positive self image, so it's hard for me to say. When I had my makeover, I felt that I really was pretty. Part of it was good art, including technical skill and good sense of color and balance. Part of it was attitude and openness to perception. There's an old saying "pretty is as pretty does"

Also it is good to keep a couple of other things in mind. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My wife has a worse self image than I do. And sure there are some less optimal features, but I can still look at her and see beauty. Our image of beauty is hugely affected by mass marketing and post production. How many supermodels say that when they look in the mirror, they don't see the image that they see in the magazine?

While I want to present as best as I can, I'm happy just to do an acceptable job, and get out. And when I go out, I want to feel free enough to laugh and talk and have a good time. What's the use in getting dressed, just to huddle silently in a corner, hunched over and afraid.

Platinum Member
    I'm certainly not pretty. Would I like to be...sure. But not every woman is pretty, petite or young. Yet they are women who can carry themselves with dignity and are worthy of respect. I hope to do the same.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Reality Check
    At my age I'm a bit old to be "pretty". The best I can hope for is "classy" or "attractive". From a distance, I can be those. Up close, I doubt it but I would have to get an outside opinion. An honest one.

People tell me that I am. Are they telling me the truth or just being polite and not wanting to hurt my feelings? If I am fine, if not fine also. Being a nice person is more important than being a pretty person.

Pretty is such a subjective term. When I put forth the effort to get ready, get my outfit right and do a kick butt job on my makeup... I feel pretty for sure! It's more of an internal feeling of prettiness, I feel pretty because I've brought Lauren out into the world once again to say hello and that is a beautiful thing. As far as the outward appearance of pretty, I'd have to leave that to others to worry about. I'd only hope that some of those wonderfully powerful pretty feelings from inside make their way to the surface for all to see. I think that because we are all doing something that makes us happy, and expressing ourselves in a most genuine way that it makes us all supermodels!

<3 Lauren

Like Kristi, I don't think I'm "pretty" but if I can achieve classy or at least passable I'm happy. What makes me happiest is when other women complement or say that they are jealous of my makeup. But then I realize it takes me an hour + and they maybe take 10 minutes and they still look so much better,

How did that happen ? Samantha2015's Avatar
    Hi Wendy, I've always had low self esteem in my male life.
    Others say I make a pretty gal and for me that's amazing and I hope it's true.
    As a male I'm just average looking (maybe less) and it seems women always
    ignore me at least where romance is concerned.
    Maybe that's why it's so important for me to make a good looking gal, or try
    my hardest anyway. It makes me feel good to look good.
    I don't think CDing ever leaves you completely so as I get older
    I'm sure I'll continue to dress I just hope the self esteem doesn't fail in
    the female mode.
    Hugs
    Samantha

I prefer to think of inner beauty and I have learned to see beauty in all people

Smart aws answer, but Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Also Beauty comes with a price http://blog.ted.com/6-talks-on-beauty/
    My answer for myself would be something approaching "Only my Mother would think I was 'pretty' ".
    Though my GF complements me, and after a few drinks I can look in the mirror and not see much of the 'guy' looking back.
    Youth has a lot to do with the ability to be what society considers Attractive / Pretty.

When I first started really trying to present as female, I didn't have much hope for getting any higher than 'reasonably passable and pleasant looking'. When you look at genetic females, there's an amazing range of appearance, and a significant portion of them wouldn't qualify as 'pretty' - yet that doesn't make them any less female, or any less of a good person. I think that should apply to all of us TG/TS girls as well. Society's standards for what is 'pretty' are fairly arbitrary, and are not possible to attain for many ladies who have been female from birth. So it shouldn't bother those of us who strive to be female, if we also have issues matching that often unattainable goal.

On the other hand, it's certainly fun trying to look my best! I've tried to learn as much as I can about using cosmetics to improve my feminine presentation, and I think it's working better than I could have hoped for. When presenting as a woman, it's not at all uncommon for me to be complemented by strangers on how pretty or beautiful I am. I get a lot more complements as a woman than I do as a man, even compared to when I am trying my best as a man. Even in the professional opinion of the cosmetologists at Sephora, they think I look great and present myself well. I still have a lot to learn about makeup application - especially for doing my eyes, but I have the basics down pretty well, it seems. Most people also guess Ceera's age as being at least 20 years younger than my real age, which is an incredible ego boost. I can walk through a mall or a grocery store and no one reacts at all adversely to my appearance - they don't seem to notice that I'm TG at all, and almost always treat me like a lady. For me, that's success. I don't so much care if they realize I wasn't born female, as long as most of the time they treat me like a lady when I'm presenting as a female.

I have no illusions about attaining the full "pretty girl" image our society tries to hold women to. Most real women can't match that standard either. But I do like to think that I am more attractive than a lot of real women out there, and among the TG/TS ladies that I have met in person, I'd say I am easily in the top third in terms of how 'pretty' and passable I am.
    Last edited by Ceera; 09-11-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Na,

My face shape is wrong, my skin is bad, and my back is wide.

With a few photo tricks and many hours of trail and error....
    Last edited by Kaze_; 09-11-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    Just Roll With It

Banned Read only
    I'm more cute than pretty.

I'm also who Carly Simon was singing about

Yes.I am told that I am.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post

I can do ok, and once in a while I am truly happy with the results. I am not drop dead gorgeous, but I don't think I'm repugnant either.

While I want to present as best as I can, I'm happy just to do an acceptable job ...
    I guess that pretty much says it for me. Considering what I have to start with, I think I do OK. Makes me feel good, anyway

Banned Read only
    In the cold light of day? Well, in any light actually, no, I am decidedly not pretty. My wife thinks I am a handsome man and as a result, she says that when in Jennifer mode, I am good looking, "but... still off in a way." Makes sense, I am a man after all. Perhaps I am a handsome woman? I wonder what that means.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I showed my ex wife a pic of me and several ladies from my trans group and she honestly thought I was dating one of the women and asked why I wasn't in the pic.
    I told her I was in the pic and she said "no way". It took her a minute and she figured out which one I was and told me "you make a very attractive woman".
    Do I think I'm pretty? No not really.

Aspiring Member
    That's dangerously subjective. Male mode I'm probably average at best. I still look younger than I am. Which isn't too good. I actually think I look a little older en femme. Least of my worries.

Being passable proper, let alone pretty, is a totally different ball game, however. Of course I wish to seize the day and try to look as pretty - and indeed sexy - as plausible. But that is for others to decide, and beyond my agency. If I were to be honest, as long as I look natural I'm satisfied.
    Last edited by Lily Catherine; 09-11-2015 at 10:29 AM.

i don't think i'm pretty
    and i don't think i'm ugly,
    so i must be pretty ugly...

in all honesty, i think i'm just ok. i have received many nice compliments when
    i have been out but i don't really take compliments well. i never know if they
    are truly being honest or just being polite.
    paula

NO,I try to take off the male edges and present as natural as possible in femme mode, I'm not trying to fool anyone that I am a "pretty" woman, just possibly a female with more masc. features,and if need be a more femme male in less masc. clothing. I believe actions speak louder than words anyway so if my actions are femme, and my mind is femme I am a "pretty" woman.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Platinum Member
    I do not consider myself "pretty" at all. I am an aging male who loves to wear women's clothing. As a youth or young man with wavy blond hair I was "pretty" or at least attractive. I use to get honks on the horn when strolling in a red dress and heels. The wrinkles of time have taken their toll. However, for my size and build I have maintained a good weight. If I was not so tall I would appear to be the woman I feel needs to break out sometimes. I remember how my grandmothers looked at the age I am now. I wear stylish clothes that a woman in her forties would wear.

I'm always amazed by the necessity to equate femininity with prettiness. I guess with my years of being a human I really do not think in terms of masculinity and femininity. I really love donning a pretty dress, heels and hosiery,proper undergarments and wig. But after all is in place I really do not feel any different than if I was in my favorite cutoff well worn jeans, white vee neck tee shirt and barefooted as I go about doing domestic chores.

I go with what gg's have told me. Many of them have complimented me on my appearance and told me I make an attractive woman. They tell me that I present well with fashion, gestures and body language.
    I don't see it when I look in the mirror, but the opinion of gg's, especially ones I know well, mean a lot.

Jodi

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Prettier than when I'm in guy mode! <rimshot>

Seriously, I guess I'm a universally objective sense, I definitely am not. Anyone seeing me on the street from a distance might think so ... until they got a little closer LOL.

But whatever! As everyone else has said ... the world is literally full to the brim with women who are not objectively pretty in a universal sense. This doesn't prevent them from proudly unfurling their fabulousness into the world, and it shouldn't stop us either. All of us are beautiful in our own way, and no one should ever be ashamed to show that.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir