Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any of you older girls remember the Catalog days!

There was a great one in the late 80s called Mellow Mail. Sexiest stuff ever.
    Sophia.

Oh yes, it was the only way to view women's clothing, without going to the shops and loitering around the underwear section, I remember spending many hours flicking through the underwear sections and being fascinated by the variety of styles and colours, This helped me through the early years of cross dressing and developed my desire for the lingerie I like to wear.
    Jennie x

The largest catalog and public library in our life is the INTERNET! And I love it!
    If you feel the need to explain yourself. Smile and Educate. Be proud of who you are!

."ALWAYS, SIT, SPIN, AND TUCK ONE FOOT BEHIND THE OTHER....NEVER CROSS YOUR LEGS"

Emme as in "M"

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    careful....you are showing your age...........xoxo

Very much so! My mom worked for Allstate and would bring home the full editions of the Sear's catalogs and, as with most of us older girls, I would go straight to the girls section and dream.

Reality Check
    The catalogs are still coming in the mail, they are just much smaller and from specialty shops. Paula Young (wigs) is one but my wife gets many with women's clothes and undies.

The Internet is much better, you can look for anything you want. You can't put the old Internet in the outhouse though.

The catalogues were indeed a rich source of not only photos but detailed descriptions. I learned a lot of useful terms about different styles of dresses, skirts, etc but most of all I liked to read the descriptions of bras and girdles. The writers of those descriptions knew what their women customers might be looking for and for a teenage boy without any sisters it allowed knowledge to be gained about the finer details - underwiring, padding, boning, types of elastic, panels, suspenders - and then to imagine how women and girls would study those descriptions in order to make their choice of underwear. It was some years later before I knew any young women well enough to learn from them about such things.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    We just couldn't wait for the Montgomery Ward Christmas catalog to come out. Thumbing through the toy section was a yearly tradition. And when I had it all to myself there was that alluring lingerie and foundation section. How absolutely fascinating!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I remember when a new catalog would arrive i couldnt wait to get my hands on it.I think a cd is born with it. None of my friends ever looked twice at a catalog. I never realized how many gurls read them at such a young age.

Back in the olden days, if you lived in a small town you lived by the catalog, for us it was Sears and Roebucks. J. c. Penny's and Montgomery wards. And the best catalogs where the Christmas Wish Books. Not only did they have all the toys a small child could dream of, they also had all of those really cool holiday dresses with all the pretty frills and bows that a little boy could ever want. Not only did they fill the imagination with all that could have been, the old ones that the family was done with it, I also found they make pretty good paper dolls, for a boy that could not ask for real ones. I still love catalogs, and we get many of them every month, but I don't make the paper dolls anymore.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Aspiring Member
    Learned how to measure myself for all of the woman's lingerie, I remember my older sister coming by the house one time when our parents were on vacation and I had the house to myself for a week or a few days. I called in and took a sick day, stayed home and dressed as a woman all day. She came by to check on me and found me dressed as a woman, she had to ask how I knew what sizes to buy and when I told her I found everything I needed in a JC Penny catalog. She told me that I shouldn't look at anything in those catalogs.

Heck I used to order from the Michael Salem Catalog. The only place you could get CD/TV styff back in "the day".
    Last edited by Kate Simmons; 09-12-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Victoria's Secret catalogs / catalogues! ... getting them in the mail 2001ish and on was so groovy... was so nervous about always making sure to check the mail so I would get it and not be caught! hide it under my jacket or whatnot! oh god!

they were so lovely back then... they still have good stuff now but too much changed around 07/08ish with that PINK crap (if you LOVE pink so much why are your sweatpants that say so GRAY? bleh!)

though now and even back then there was too much dang focus on the non-lingerie stuff... the clothes before and the sporty stuff now (or swim!) etc...

it bothered me when a sexy LINGERIE catalog would have next to no sexy lingerie in it!

like what the hell!

plus those early girly days of some of the models... Adriana Lima just starting out! getting big! then waning and Miranda Kerr stepping in!

then it was Candy Ice / Swan Pool! etc

then things just went nuts!

Wasn't old enough to order from them but I remember Montgomery wards and sears and roebuck catalogs. Actually I got a wards catalog in the mail a week ago. Thought they were out of business.
    Last edited by Candice June Lee; 09-12-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Not only do I remember, but when I was 9 or 10, had a neighbor who wrote copy for Alden's. She always had pics(and samples)laying around. She paid me to deliver her work to the Alden's warehouse in Chicago.

In my teen years, many moons ago, there were 4 major catalogs my mother made sure to have always on hand, as we were in a small town in southern New Mexico then. Sears, Monkey Wards, Penneys, and SPIEGEL's. There was always at least 3 issues a year back then---Fall &
    Winter; Spring and Summer; and The Christmas Catalog. It was a shock when they started to have to charge for them after many years, but you got it refunded with your first order.

Platinum Member

O' Those Were The Days !

O'yes, Those were the days we always had the Sears, Wards, Penney's & Spiegel's catalogs at home.
    I couldn't wait to look at through women's foundation garments pages.

There were Wards and a Sears catalog stores located not far from home I got my first two pairs of forms
    through the Wards catalog store. Sears had a catalog/clearance store and I got many many women's
    foundation garments and many skirts and tops.

Back in the day wards also had wigs.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Oh yes, I sure do remember the Sears and JCP catalogs. They were wonderful with full color pictures and sizing information. I would sneak time to look at the lingerie section for hours fantasizing about which panties, bras, and garter belts I wanted. I also remember when your store credit card bill would come with little inserts advertising something. It was not uncommon for one of those somethings to be an item of intimate apparel. And that was how I bought my firs pairs of panties.

I, too, loved to peruse the Sears and Pennys catalogs. I learned alot especially from the Sears catalog. In my late teenage years, I actually ordered some items from Sears and picked them up at their main distribution center in LA. I bought a black garter belt, waist cincher, stockings and 3" wedge sandals. Not sure if I bought a bra? It was agonizing sitting in the waiting room as they picked my order, then read it off to me. But so worth it! It was so much more challenging to cross dress back in the 70's and 80's!

I remember taking a crazy chance and ordering a Frederick's of Hollywood catalog. I was...junior high age. I used my last name, but a fictitious first name, of course. My parents and sisters just thought the post office made a mistake. I loved those catalogs. The stuff dreams are made of: high heels, stockings, and lingerie.
    "It is so easy to exist, instead of live. Unless you know there is a clock ticking."
    --Anna Quindlen, writer, journalist, columnist

Loved when the catalogs came just before Christmas, great memories sitting by the tree looking thru Montgomery ward sears penneys. Loved the lingerie section girdles nylons garters slips, dresses. Wish santa brought me what I really wanted but was to afraid to put it on my list, I did eventualy try on my moms girdle with garter snaps and nylons knew right away how they worked, what a life changing event, scary back then wonderful today!

I lived for the Sears, JC Penny, And Monkey Wards, catalogs. Spent hours upon hours, wishing and hoping to someday own what I was on the pages of the women's sections. I also learned some sense of style. How it changed and then reverted back and changed again, over the years.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

Ah yes!! I loved looking at all of the lingerie and wished that I could somehow buy many items. My wife gets the catalogs from Woman Within and Roamans, but it just isn't the same. But,I am so fortunate that my wife will order anything that I want from these catalogs.

Monkey Wards?!!

I thought they shut that place down!

I ordered nearly all of my early crossdresser clothes from catalogs. Sears & J.C.Penney were the biggest. The specialty CD catalogs were more drag queen clothing. For the first few decades of their existance, Lane Bryant was only an option if you wanted to look 50 and fat, they featured bright neon polyester stuff with patterns that would blind you. Today, they have a lot of nice things as well.
    Even Fredericks of Hollywood carries plus sizes now. I have one, one very sexy, beautiful dress that I'm proud to fit into, and like real girls, like to think that I look as good as the woman in the catalog picture. That's probably one of the selling points of catalogs too; that we get to pretend we look like the lady in the picture. Because if we had to try everything on in a store with a mirror that reflected reality, a lot of us would just shudder, shake our heads, get back in our own clothes and look for a place to drink and forget reality.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.