Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally looked in the woman's department

finally looked in the woman's department

Finally had the courage to explore the womans clothes section at goodwill by myself yesterday. Other than some dirty looks by some elderly ladies (noted the younger women didn't seam to care) it was kinda fun. Didn't find anything in my size that i liked, but oh well.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Good for you.
    See its not that hard is it?

Banned Read only
    Hello from the other side of the mountains. I had to chuckle about your observation of the age of women who seem to frown on men in the women's department. I've found that to be even true concerning sales women. And, also women in general. But, not all older women are turned off by men interested in women's clothing. During my wife's last trip from Seattle she sat next to a transgender women and had a lengthy discussion on sewing and making alterations. It did not bother her in the least.

As to Goodwill, our Goodwill's have finally started putting out Halloween costumes which always include evening gowns and prom dresses.

I was going to use Halloween as a cover story if anyone asked if i was lost, but no one said a word. I dug in the costumes a bit, all the items i likes were very much ment for a smaller frame.
    a few days ago i might have loaded up a cart the urg was so bad to get new things; but it's died down quite a bit and i was able to keep a level head.
    my wife let me do her makeup a couple times and seemed to help me focus a little better for some reason.

It just gets easier, so what if they laugh or look at you funny. Its there problem not yours. Enjoy the ride. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

I too have noticed more elderly women looking at me funny or bad gestures. Other than that no one else seems to notice or care. Even today so far I've been out in fem jeans at the local festival and really no one cared. So it's not as bad as we make it out to be in our minds.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

You will find that to be the case at all thrift stores. It is my belief we are a big part of their customer base. Don't be afraid to use those fitting rooms. I try on women's clothes there all the time in male mode. No one cares.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I was in your position a few months ago and once you go to the first shop it just becomes easier with every shop, no one cares you may get a few looks and smiles, but it doesn't matter, I now have conversations with the sales staff, but well done for making the first step.
    Jennie x

Aspiring Member
    I just wade in and go for it right alongside all of the other ladies. I don't even get odd looks if I appear confident, focused, and competent at picking out clothes and outfits. As we all know, that grows with experience.

Platinum Member
    Hi KB, Just act like you owned the place and try not to make eye contact, That makes it easier.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    Ignore the gawkers. Don't make eye contact. Enjoy what you are doing.

Good for you! The first steps are always the hardest.

yeah the thrift stores are interesting I have had a mix from the old ladies from that would not look good on you "dear" to the meanies and to to them i am tempted to say what you never seen someone in "avatarmode"? I look strange in a red bikini with a fishook stuck in my bum ? this purely lol meanies will be meanies no matter where we are most of them are just bitter people with nothing better to do .although one day at salvation army I did pick up a nice pair of plushy pink shorts---- and when i went to pay for them the young girl gave the strangest look to which I replied what? I think I will look hot in these shop til ya drop.

Banned Read only
    Great!

I've had a few people look at me sideways at the thrift stores especially when I'm all dolled up. It doesn't even phase me anymore. I just smile as I hold a skirt or something to see how it looks.

Other than some dirty looks by some elderly ladies
    They do that to everyone. Even when I'm shopping in housewares. They seem to resent a man out alone and unsupervised.
    Last edited by MelanieAnne; 09-12-2015 at 11:05 PM.

I went to TJ max today bought a dress , skirt and top....and really am not worried anymore. People don't care ....
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

I really can't remember too many comments or even "looks" from older ladies. I'm always happy to see an elderly lady as the SA in a thrift store. It's the ones in the 40-50 range that seem make the snide remarks. Almost as if they feel threatened. It always makes me wonder if there was a hubby or father in their own life that had been "caught". The worst abuse I ever took was from a 70ish male SA, but 98% of the time it's no problem at all.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Forget the Halloween excuse nobody believes that lie LOL.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    That is such an exciting feeling to me.
    I think my wedding ring brings some closure.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

The more you look at the women's section it will become easy you won't have any fears

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieAnne View Post
    They do that to everyone. Even when I'm shopping in housewares. They seem to resent a man out alone and unsupervised.
    Hey, not all women are like that. I'm a retiree with a working wife. You would not believe the number of time older women have struck up a conversation with me in the grocery aisles. Nothing like a good grocery cart smashing to get someone's attention. They seem to think an unattached older male is in need of a mate. If I was unattached and available I wonder what the goals of a woman striking up a conversation in the lingerie department would lead to????

Went to the goodwill today asked the male sales associate wear i could find women leotards. he answered pardon me and i said the same thing and he directed me to where they might be. I been going to the lady's dept the last week every day right to the lady's dept and always look still don't touch .I find that i always seam to get smiles from the women. maybe they know maybe they don't.

I hit up the Salvation Army every few months in Des Moines. In drab. I head straight for the womens sections and go through every bit of clothing like I'm looking for something specific....women everywhere around, not an odd look that I notice. The only odd looks that I have ever received was from the cashier. I carry a list with me, though....it helps.

Suzanne

I've yet to buy anything when I'm on my own, but I've started browsing a bit when something catches my eye. I've never noticed anyone caring enough to look at me, but that may change should I decide to buy something.
    stefanilara.wordpress.com
    A Girl in disguise

Had this happen early on in a thrift shop; the elderly lady at the cash register seemed confused by the skirts I bought and asked "For your lady?" I answered "Yes", just didn't explain that the lady was me.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)