Thread: What do people wear where you work?

What do people wear where you work?

It's pretty boring for me. I work with mostly men, doing shipping and receiving, and dealing with production. Everyone in our department is supposed to wear the company shirt. In shipping, you're expected to wear long pants, except for Saturdays. A lot of the guys on the production floor wear shorts and lab coats, maybe with a ball cap. It is California after all.

Upstairs it's office casual. A few of the older women wear a dress and heels on occasion, but never with nylons. For shame. The only one I ever see in nylons is a woman on her 60s, but she just wears them under her pants suit. But, she is cool as hell and tough as nails, and not afraid to put some puffed up big-wig in his place. Awesome lady.

The only woman I ever saw at my workplace in the last year or so with a nice dress and nylons was a visitor, from Asia? India? Malaysia? Singapore? one of those places. I'm guessing. I didn't ask her. I wanted to though. I wanted to compliment her on how nice she looked in her blue dress. My boss would probably have been like, "Hey, you can't do that! But.....right on! High Five!"

Back in the 80s, every workplace I knew looked like a different planet compared to now as far as how the women dressed.
    Sophia.

Uniforms. Everyone in the same thing everyday. Oh but the possibilities of what they're wearing under those uniforms? I am not brave enough, but I do think about it.

Bernadette

We get everything from business attire down to t-shirts and jeans. My job is active and frankly I'd be in T-shirt and jeans regardless of whether I was presenting male or female. The only difference is that the T-shirts would be prettier in girl mode!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

The guy where I work sometimes wears a dress, or a skirt and top...

...but I'm self employed and work from home

Same with me, I do all the heavy lifting in my building. At work for me it's the company shirt, aviator pants with side pockets (I find them more comfortable and less confining than jeans), and non-slip flat shoes.
    Sophia.

black pants boots and a very barney fife looking uniform shirt. sometimes when I'm out in the field and I know there will be no sort of public relations, I will wear my headbands and jewelry and If I'm feeling really generous than I might wear something pretty underneath everything. My friends wife always tells me that I look like a lesbian d word when I'm not in my uniform
    well even if i'm wrong, you know i'm right

Pretty casual. We are required, in customer facing situations at least, to wear a company t-shirt or "vest" as preferred. Other than that, anything we want, within very broad limits. Nothing offensive, clean, no rips. Can get away with small holes in jeans, though you might get pulled aside for that. Since I've started wearing skirts, it seems to me that the girls have been wearing more skirts and dresses, and prettier ones too. Could be my imagination or just the swing of current fashions. I have worn some women’s shorts as well, they fit a bit above the knee, instead of below as most of the men's, and they are better fitted around the butt. In the last week, I have identified at least 3 other guys wearing the same shorts. One of the guys who rocks a FuManchu moustache, (he's from somewhere in Asia) has worn those baggy pants you sometimes see from that part of the world, and today the pair he wore were very highly patterned and extremely loose and almost floaty. None of the women or girls, wear stockings or pantyhose as such, but they will quite often wear leggings, yoga pants, and sometimes something that could sorta qualify as opaque tights I suppose. They could be stockings I guess.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

unisex uniforms. The younger gals wear them snugg to the body to show off their curves if they're in shape. Otherwise, everybody wears 'em baggy.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Men wear suits or jacket with tie. Women wear suits, dresses, pant suits. You can see a lot of high heels.

Platinum Member
    I'm a retiree now. However, before I retired I worked in a government office. I always wore dress slacks, dress shirt with tie, polished shoes. My sport coat usually hung nearby. Our clients were professionals, business persons and their representatives; certified public accountants and attorneys. When I started there in the 1970's everyone wore suits and jackets, and, the women wore dresses or skirts and blouses. It was expected. It was professional. Now? Don't get me started. It was an embarrassment to go to work sometimes. My female manager, who had to interact with said professionals, wore capri pants, flip flops, and what I would describe as attire worn to a BBQ. Some women wore sweat pants and tops and athletic shoes. Jeans were the order of the day. I worked in the same office for over thirty years. Disgusting.

Women on the other side of the desk. They wore business attire. They wore heels and hosiery. Their hair was well kept. They wore makeup. I often wonder what they thought of most of the staff. There was more than several occasions when visitors thought I was the manager because I was the only person in business attire.

I guess that's why I always wear a dress, hosier and heels, and all proper undergarments. Karen Hutton, if you're still alive, come and rescue us! A woman after my own heart.

I'm retired and don't need to work. But in the area where I live, the well dressed woman wears a tight tank top, to show off the macho tattoos on her neck, biceps, arms, and back. Paired with a pair of XXXL short shorts, to show off the tats on her legs and thighs, along with some tasteful flip flops. The well dressed gentleman wears Carharts, flannel shirts and jeans, and steel toed boots. Yeah, it was a culture shock moving here.

Banned Read only
    I wear casual men outfil, tennis, jeans, and t-shirt, but the interest part its under... hihihi every day: Panties! and if the hot weather its ok. hosiery!!!

I am not out at work and cannot dress at work. I work in various court systems as an independent contractor. In my experience, the attorneys dress well, the women especially. I have seen a lot of beautiful skirted business suits, and a lot of tightly fitted pants suits on the younger women. The jurors are all over the place in terms of how they dress, from just got out of bed and threw something on, to professional women who dress to the nines, but they are a very small minority. Most women do not seem to be willing to dress up for jury duty. As far as the litigants, they mostly dress well in the civil courts, but in the criminal courts, not so much. Lots of folks over there get made to wait in the hallway due to dress code violations. The biggie is always wearing shorts. Shorts of any kind are not allowed in the courtrooms.

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar
    Retired Pilot. but here in Lake Havasu Az I wear "short, Shorts" every day usually cutoff dungerees (female) cuffs right at the bottom of the rear pocket, Epilated Legs & my Blonde pony tail, Hair in Avatar is mine ... Keep the legs tan for the most of the year.. Gotta love being retired ,,,,
    (((HUGGS)))
    JoanAz

On campus, professors and instructors wear anything from jeans to dress slacks and shirts (depending on the college .. the sciences and liberal arts tend to be more casual, and law, medicine and business are dressier). Female professors mostly wear slacks. The students pretty much wear jeans. The administrative staff (mostly women), wear mostly slacks. A few wear skirts and dresses but it is not the norm. No one wears panty hose, unless they are older. If they are like me, it is to camouflage a no-longer young leg. lol. Top female administrators tend to wear dressier outfits such as an office suit.

I agree, in the '80s most of us wore skirts, dresses, hose, and heels. It's just so much easier now and better on the budget.
    Reine

My favorite Stats teacher wears a wonderfully feminine wardrobe. Makes me feel like a schlub in my male clothes. The dean/director of anthropology dresses great too- I always find reasons to ask her stuff- orang-utan mental evolution and stuff like that...

The students dress great- actually quite casual-chic, but more than once I've written down the outfit a co-ed was wearing and bought items to duplicate the look.

Then there was the boot incident- where I saw a student in low heel/high calf boots- and I stopped at two stores on my way home that evening to find a similar pair....

But I wear functional, safe clothes en drab, while teaching (college). If I were to transition, I'd wear pantsuits on lecture days, and quasi-uniform outfits on lab-days. I am aware that this would be quite noticeable, regardless of the evolved nature of our society, and would be a distraction from the subject. It matters more to me to communicate and interact with students than to express my gender, for now.

A Cutie With A Hot Bootie Tammie.J.Swenson's Avatar
    Until I got laid off from the government contract position 2 years ago during a contract renewal due to a 50% budget cut I always wore female undies, bikini or string bikini or thongs or French cut briefs with a matching bra w/O the 38DD GIRLS , spandex black or tan tights during cold weather or knee hi in hot weather, one time in a snow storm I wore nude pantyhose under black leggings with a zip front teddy and ladies knee high fir lined snow boots. The only comment I got was "hey there that outfit is a really nice skiing outfit , what ski shop, did u get it, I bet it is nice to be warm" from my male office mate shivering in his wet to knees suit slacks ...snow was 18" deep. TYPICALLY I WORE MALE ATTIRE OVER FEMALE UNDIES BUT THAT DAY AIR TEMP WAS 5 BELOW 0 Wit 30mph wind so I said to myself they would just think I was wearing a black zipper front turtle neck ski outfit.

A few days later a long time and good friend female coworker said "you know Jamie with a little make up and a female hair cut with some DD OR DDD boobs ud be one cute hot moma." ...at that time I think Dee quessed I had been XDRESSING to work that snowy day because for several days before I had been asking her about her Makeup and her new hairdos she had ever few days and how long it took her to get ready 4 the office every day plus I'd asked her about how she'd managed to walk around the office all day wearing spiked 4 or 5 inch platform high heel shoes w/O fall ingredients down..

Particularly since the shoe boots I wore that snowy day were duplicates of a pair she was wearing that same snowyday.

Then a few weeks later when the office was shutting down at noon for a holiday , that morning she invited me to have lunch with her at a nearby restaurant in a shopping mall. During lunch she said "I know you are an xdresser and more power to u but you need some good makeup and some sexy outfits . U didn't think I noticed that you have been wearing a little touch of mascara and eye brow pencil 2 work", so this afternoon we are going back to my apt and we are going to see what outfit of mine fits you then I'm going to Make U Up, Do your semi long hair up like like mine.Then we aregoing shopping in the mall and getting u a tight spandex sexy black lace top, a red or black lace mini skirt then get u some nice platform shoes and then hit the downtown club
    scene after dinner downtown.
    Had a blast with Dee that Friday. Then she was laid-off just b4 I was.

Since then lost track of she moved to another state to find another job

Like ReineD I work on a college campus. Student 'uniform' is jeans and a top. For the guys, the jeans tend to be full length (in various states of (dis)repair) and top = t-shirt. For the girls the length of leg on the jeans varies between 0 (I.e. Completely cut off) and full length - and envy thing in between. The tops are every colour under the sun, some far to skimpy for anywhere other than beach or bedroom. Something like 50% of the girls clearly don't possess a mirror (so says my wife!)

Staff tend to vary between 'jeans and a top' and business suits depending on whether they're 'academic', 'support' etc. and also seniority (I've yet to see the VC in anything other than a grey pinstripe suit). Funnily enough, most of the women in the 'business suit' category seem to prefer dresses or skirts to pants.

Me? Normally shirt & tie, tailored trousers, jacket (if I'm going out of the building). If I'm interviewing or going somewhere to (formally) represent the university then on goes the business suit!

Gone to live my life
    I am in the military and everyone wears a uniform. However on Fridays, business causal civilian attire is authorized for everyone. So I wear what most women wear . . . when in uniform dress shirt and pants with pumps which I may swap out for a skirt and pumps. On civilian days . . . business casual which vary from skirts, to dresses, to pants.

Cheers

Isha

Platinum Member
    Mostly scrubs.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aspiring Member
    The women where I work dress differently - some in boring black trousers or jeans and top but some go all out with dresses especially on hot days. Except on these hot days a lot of them wear sheer tights or opaques. Sometimes I really want an outfit someone is wearing and occasionally I see someone wearing something I already own.

Quote Originally Posted by Krististeph View Post
    If I were to transition, I'd wear pantsuits on lecture days, and quasi-uniform outfits on lab-days.
    This reminds me. A few months ago, Sir Tim Hunt, nobel laureate in Medicine, made sexist comments about women in labs that unchained viral protests from women on twitter. He jokingly suggested there should be separate labs for boys and girls following this comment: "“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls. Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry."

Female scientists responded by tweeting pictures of themselves at work under the hashtag #distractinglysexy. Click to see the pics and comments:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ntists-5864691
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    This reminds me. A few months ago, Sir Tim Hunt, nobel laureate in Medicine, made sexist comments about women in labs that unchained viral protests from women on twitter. "“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls. Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry."

Female scientists responded by tweeting pictures of themselves at work under the hashtag #distractinglysexy. Click to see the pics and comments:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ntists-5864691
    Sir Hunt has since retired because of the outcry (supposedly), but his last reason is reason enough= you don't criticize students. If they are doing something wrong or not up to par- you explain- kindly. A bit of humor may help, but understanding and explanation as to why things are not working for them is why they attend school, rather than self study.

Sorry, I know his comment was probably tongue in cheek- but I've seen too many otherwise good instructors fail because of this. IMO - it's a matter of understanding what is important tot he learning process. Hrumph. And folks still wonder why the colonies broke off...