Thread: Has anyone had hip replacement surgery?

Has anyone had hip replacement surgery?

I was wondering if anyone has had hip replacement surgery. If so, can you still wear heels? Can you cross legs at the knee.
    My priorities may be a little askew, but those are two of my favorite things.

Yes and yes. Don't hesitate to get it done.

Silver Member
    I have not but know people who have. You will have to mend for a while but you will be able to dress and wear heels again - without pain.

Hi Carolyn,

I'm afraid I can't tell what age you are (your avatar looks so young! ) but I had a friend who had one replaced in his early 60's and he still runs and does 'hashing' - some sort of nutty, cross-country, orienteering thing across rough country and in bad weather.

I don't believe heels or crossing your legs will be comparable with that...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I've had both hips replaced. Left one in 2004 and the right one in 2005.
    Best money I've ever spent.
    I've only been walking in heels for a short time but I'm not having any problems
    with crossing my legs.

Patty

my GF had it done twice because the first one wore out. She almost always wore heels unless she was working out
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Had my hip replaced, best thing I ever did.
    As far as heels go, I have no problem with my hip, my feet are also kinda screwed up (bent bones) so that limits the height of the heels.

It really depends on the person, the doctor, the type of replacement and the surgery. My GF had hers done a couple of years ago but still needs her cane and OTC pain meds on more or less a daily basis. She dances when she can but no heels for her.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I had both hips replaced, nearly 15 years ago; two operations about six weeks apart.
    It took a while but I was soon able to cross my legs at the knee, touch my toes enough to trim my nails and walk in heels.
    The one thing that was really noticeable is the reduction in my hip measurement.
    Carolyn, if you asked because you may be having it done don't hold back.

I had my right hip done this past June. The worst part about it was all the anxiety and worry that I did before the operation. Go for it. You will wonder why you waited so long to have it done.

I'm a Lumberjack & I'm OK
    Neither my wife or I have had a hip replacement, but my wife is an X-ray tech. A patient that she did X-rays on for her new hip was told to NOT cross her legs at the knee until much later when Physical Therapy OK'd that as well as other activities.
    A day or maybe 2 after her surgery the patient crossed her legs at her knees and popped the new hip out of place since the ligaments had not strengthened and tightened up yet.
    She was not sure if they were able to get it back in without surgery or not, but it did require anesthesia.
    Allows follow the doctor and other medical personnel's advice.

My wife has had 2 now, and she has no issues doing the things she likes to do. If you need it done, get it done!
    Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I.

Thank you all for your responses. I was looking for reasons not to be so nervous. I am 58 and having the replacement done in a few weeks.

I had both my hips replaced at once. They will do this if the surgeon uses the anterior method (also known as the jiffy hip). When a hip is done that way, you have no limitations in what you can do. You are only limited by what your body can accomplish. I was surfing (not well) eight weeks and one day post surgery. I can cross my legs and wear high heels just fine. Your post operative PT is very important, but don't neglect preoperative strengthening. BTW, I am surfing just fine now. If you want to discuss this further, just PM me.
    Please call me Lisa!

I would if I could get curvier ones.

I think I'm heading in that same direction. You and I are almost the same age, and I have been having a lot of hip pain since the beginning of the year. I am still on the non- invasive program of Physical Therapy and the like, but have an MRI scheduled for late October to determine next steps.