Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tired of not being passable

tired of not being passable

I have been dressing for a long time now. I have never had time to buy a wig or learn how to do make up super well.
    I love dressing up. I wish i could go out to the bar or a night out dressed up. im only 26 and skinny.

I feel trapped. I want to go out dressed in a skirt and heels. Be girly!!!!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Time to get serious then get a good wig and some make up and practice ,practice,practice.

i would love to but becasue of my living arrangment. that wont happen sad face!!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    What is your living arrangement? Married a girlfriend?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Andrea, its all about maturity. When get older u will find direction, hopefully. That means wanting something or someone bad enuff to plan the steps necessary to reach your goals. When u finally reach your goals u may find the self esteem that comes with them is an even more important benefit.

Because istead of wishing for things you'll know how to make them happen. That gives many dressers the confidence to go out even tho they never pass. They want to go out, period. And won't let anyone or anything stop them. Be patient and stop wishing. Start planning how to accomplish your independence and other goals!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

How did that happen ? Samantha2015's Avatar
    If you are still in the closet it certainly helps to live alone. I've been living on my own since your age about 20+ years ago.
    You may not be able to do that right now but it probably won't always be that way.
    You are still young, you have plenty of girl time ahead of you.
    Do what little things you can to get through the pink fog days.
    And Like Tracii said get a good wig, it makes all the difference !!
    Hugs
    Samantha

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    If you really want to do it, you'll find a way... Aliwigs for hair, YouTube for makeup tutorials... Now get out there and we want pics...
    Call me Donna, please

Hi Andrea
    Don't let your situation rule your lifestyle, Set a goal of what want to do and look at ways of achieving that goal. If your living situation is restricting you change it, it may mean getting a new job in a different place, or look for changes you can make within your current situation. You can learn a lot about applying makeup on the internet, find a place to practice, a hotel is a great place for privacy. The important thing is that you have to make the changes, we can advise you but it is down to you
    Good luck

You can do it! I know I did. Collect clothes for a few good outfits, you might need just one that you can wear over and over again. A good wig, now when I started I paid $20 for a halloween wig. Don't do that. Go online and pay $40+ for a decent wig(choice of color,length, etc.) Collect makeup and play with it. I started with cheap and I mean CHEAP makeup. If I could do it over again, I would start with decent drugstore makeup. Brands like Covergirl, Rimmel, Revlon, Maybelline, and L'Oreal. Know a makeup look that you can achieve with your skin tone and face shape and practice, practice, practice. Watching tons of tutorials on youtube can give you ideas and techniques.

Next is to actually do all of that and go out.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

Andrea, your still so young girl...you have so much time left to further develop. Dont give up and give yourself time. I started to fully dress just about 10 years ago or so after years of just underdressing. And today I am still learning and developing makeup techniques. And I am years older than you!
    Love and hugs Jeanette

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    as already said...you ARE young, and to be honest when I am out at either a bar or cd tg event I STILL am one of the younger gals out there ( and I'm not that young anymore )...my living arrangement is with my mom .... I FIND the time for makeup practice late night, and wig shopping...you CAN and will when you truly want to take this to the next level. When I did I set small goals for myself, like today I am going to JUST practice eyeshadow, or eyeliner...NOW I'm going to practice JUST full eye makeup. And as far as having a tough living arrangement, I dont know yours, but as I said I utilize my late night freedom when the household is asleep, you can also get yourself a hotel room for some privacy to explore your feminine side, where there is a will there is a way, you just have to make it happen instead of making excuses. If it is something you TRULY want, you will figure it out.

Banned Read only
    Amen, Halloween is coming up next month. That day is a day for all cross dressers to buy a wig. You are young. It's a lot easier for young men to buy wigs and clothing for Halloween than guys in their sixties (Me!). Buying makeup? Go to a variety store like Wal-Mart and throw something in the basket when buying milk and eggs or beer. Use the self checkout lanes. The Internet is available for perusing everything and anything. Every label for makeup has a website. You can preshop until you drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Time to get serious then get a good wig and some make up and practice ,practice,practice.
    And, don't forget Christmas is just around the corner. Every variety store sells sets of makeup in a gift pack. You have a niece, wife or sister? Every cross dressing young man has a young niece!!! Every one!

Andreaxxx, if your subject line is really what you want, being "passable" is a science in itself with lots of moving parts, and achievable by only a few.. "Blending", where you can walk down the street and be read as female by most people, is much more attainable. Read the many informative posts on this site about passing and blending. The good news: if you are 26 and skinny, your chances of attaining the blending level are excellent with the right information. If you live near or can get to a transformation service, you can get expert wig and makeup help in a supportive environment, that could take years of experimentation on your own. Passing, or blending, is mostly from the neck up..passing requires learning a female voice, blending is possible without that.

You can find almost any info you need on line, it just takes time and research. With the right wig, expert makeup help(especially from someone trained in TG makeup techniques), and the various available body shaping techniques, you can look so much like a girl your own mother would be fooled! Going to a bar requires talking, so you'd need the voice to pull that off no matter how great you look..though if you're OK being read as a guy, then you can go for it! But once you learn the tricks of presenting as a female, cruising the mall? No problem. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Go to a variety store like Wal-Mart and throw something in the basket when buying milk and eggs or beer.
    When someone says that it reminds me of American Graffiti where Toad needs liquor and he buys ten other items hoping the clerk doesn't notice. Really, no one cares if you buy makeup except the sales person for those cosmetics (which helped me get the right color and type without batting an eye).

And Halloween people rarely buy good stuff like wigs. It is a one off night and most the stuff is disposable.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Andrea - you're young, you can find the time to do this if you really want to...

And don't worry about "passing" too much - as said before, "blending" is more achievable, but what I'd guess you're after as well is acceptance as much as anything...? You're more like to find this in an LGBT-friendly venue rather than just tolerance... My advice would be start somewhere friendly - and yes, practice until you get better and you will get better...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

If you're young and skinny I'm sure you can look very feminine (even passable) with the right wig/makeup/outfit. There's lots of tutorials on youtube about makeup, you'd be surprised what a huge difference it can make!

Don't have the time? If you have time to slip on a bra and heels then you have time to experiment with makeup! Don't think of it as a whole facial procedure, instead get good and fast at one thing. Maybe lipstick one week then foundation techniques the next. Take your time and find what looks good before moving on to the next item. It feels daunting at first but once you get the hang of it you'll start enjoying your time in front of the mirror more. As for passing, who are you trying to impress? If the answer is anyone but yourself, rethink and refocus your efforts. Unless you go full transition you might always look like a guy in a dress but if you wear it well then at least you'll be a cute guy in a dress.
    Last edited by Junius; 09-21-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."
    Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Finding a support group helped me! It helped me find the people that help us too! I learned of a women who sold wigs from her home and made an appointment. And it just kept growing to where I found a place and time to dress! It's an option...

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Platinum Member
    You have lots of time. You're only 26. (Sigh). So start getting your act together. Find a wig store and get fitted with something that works well in the stylists judgement as well as your own. Go to MAC, Ulta or similar cosmetics store for a make over and some basic lessons. And once you've done that, watch what women are wearing in public and look for styles that work se who have your general height and weight.

Prepare yourself to present to the best of your ability and then do this: forget about passing. Blending in is as good as it gets for most of us. Why set yourself up for disappointment?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

26 AND skinny??? Wow, talk about having the advantage! Put on your Nikes and Just do it, already!
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

Hey, I'm 26, sk8nny, and had my first time out last week. If I can do it, you can do it. The hardest part was just walking in.

There are tons of videos on youtube which will show you how to do your make up, and pick a wig. Then simply choose an outfit that will go with what you have to offer which appears passable as feminine. There was one really good one....I'll try to find it and get back here. Here you go. A perfect example of a guy who uses what he knows will pass, and covers up a bit of the rest, to become the cute babe that he wants to be. His video initially appeared about I think six or seven years ago under his own channel, which was deleted a few years later; but someone else had reuploaded it. A lot of us wonder what happened to him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlS0d18Flc
    There are more links at the bottom; the first time I saw his video, I was amazed.

There are lots of videos like this. Just search youtube for boy to girl transformation, look for someone who resembles you, and try out the techniques that you see; you can even just go out and buy the same clothes and wig that you see the other person using. Remember, it takes real girls several years of doing make up every day to even begin to get it right. So you're not going to get it perfect in one evening's practice. As much as I'd like to be beautiful, I have a damaged face (birth mark surgery and scars, irregular teeth) that has parts which no amount of normal make up could cover. So there are times when I think I'm better off NOT being able to ever use make up effectively, because of how much work it would be to learn how to do it, besides having a body that could never remotely pass as female (unless you include those east German 'female' olympic athletes from the 60's and 70's).

Watch lots of videos. There are literally tens of thousands of 'how to' beauty videos on youtube. You could also go a few towns over to a big department store that has women at make up counters that give make overs.
    Another possibility, if you're really into eventually being out, is that you could take a cosmetology course at a local trade school to learn make up skills, and maybe practice with the other students.
    They keep taking down this guy's videos. So I've included several options. Look at his final 'product' and ask yourself if he would pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlS0d18Flc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RN4W2lA9gE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeR90rkLgmg
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 09-23-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaxxx420 View Post
    I have been dressing for a long time now. I have never had time to buy a wig or learn how to do make up super well.
    I love dressing up. I wish i could go out to the bar or a night out dressed up. im only 26 and skinny.

I feel trapped. I want to go out dressed in a skirt and heels. Be girly!!!!
    If I was 26 and skinny, my dream.
    Halloween is coming up and get a girl friend to help you and just try it then.
    Or just as a girl you know ... u are going to a party and u want to totally surprise everyone and I am sure you can get some help.

I wish I had your problems.

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar
    Go to local or distant thrift store and shop (don't feel guilty or intimated) just get used to it
    NO ONE realy cares what you are buying..DON'T FEEL GUILTY

THE FEW BUCKS things cost will be well worth it ...Enjoy the moment,, by the way I am 76 and was 74 in my avatar
    ((((HUGGS ))))
    JoanAz

If only you could see me sarahcsc's Avatar
    Hi Andrea,

Everybody starts off as being not passable. Its about trial and errors and you mustn't be afraid to embarrass yourself.

Being young and skinny works in your favour in many ways instead of being old and chubby.

Be prepared to spend some money if you want to be passable.

I paid a professional make up artist to teach me how to do make up. Its only a one off session and it costs a bit, but hey, its worth it!

Love,
    S
    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me" - Ayn Rand