Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing for a drag themed party?

Dressing for a drag themed party?

So my BFF is having her birthday next week and the theme is drag. She is the one of the only people that know about me and has already offered to help with my make up . It will be a house party and it will be mostly my closest friends there so im not too worried.

But the question is how far should I take this, if I turned up as my normal girlie self I think it might give the game away but where do I draw the line? I was thinking I should get a cheap wig instead of my normal one but I do kind of want to wear my normal one. Also should I buy a cheap LBD rather than one of my dress's? I want to feel like me but not let people know too much.

I normally put a lot of effort into fancy dress so going as a decent looking girl shouldnt be too much of a problem.

AHHHH Any advice?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Why marginalize yourself by not looking your very best?
    To do otherwise is only going to mock Cding in general IMO.
    Your friends will think you are pocking fun at transgender people which won't help your cause down the road if you decide to "come out".

You asked for opinions so thats my take on it.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Thats a tough one for sure, I understand not wanting to give away to much but if it were me I would want to present as well as I could, you can always say you BFF helped and they might think thats why you look so nice. Anyway have fun

DO NOT GO! you are going to ridicule the whole ethos of what we all love doing, just think what those other party goers will look like, thoroughly ridiculous and some of them with over the top giant boobs that not even mother nature could have dreamed of giving to the girls. My advice is give it a wide birth or get the host/ess to change the theme. I feel very strongly about this.

I know what you are saying but im worried that if I turn up with an expensive wig, breastforms etc people might come too near knowing the truth. It is not my intention to poke fun as CD or TG people and would be very upset if people thought that was the case. I know the other guys will turn up in poorly fitting dress's and trainers (my friends are rubbish ) so I know I will stand out but I dont want to stand out too much.

Banned Spammer
    Honestly I doubt 90% of the guys will actually dress in drag and those that do will be over the top like Bobbi suggests.
    If you do pass as well as you say you do then you might just be the hit of the party because you got it right.
    Give all the credit to your GF of course.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-30-2015 at 01:12 PM.

own it, be it, and come out, why not? i'm sure its the subconscious reason for the party
    xxx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Honestly I doubt 90% of the guys will actually dress in drag and those that do will be over the top like Bobbi suggests.
    I think you are right but our friend group is about 80% girls so the guys are not too important.

Most of the guys I'm sure will do david bowie ziggy, or rocky horror. It sounds like a lot of fun and I would not agree bobbie46 that you are personaly responsible for promoting the TG CD community.. what a heavy burden! Go dress to the nines and OWN it.

If I were able to dress well enough to pass as a real gg, then I would. If someone says something about how well you look, just say I had help and it was not free. If even you look well enough to pass I would not do the normal walk or talk like a woman. Go ahead and look good as a woman, but do no emulate one with actions, so people will just think you hired a great make over artist, but allow your actions to not scream I know my way around, while wearing these cloths.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbi46 View Post
    DO NOT GO! you are going to ridicule the whole ethos of what we all love doing, just think what those other party goers will look like, thoroughly ridiculous and some of them with over the top giant boobs that not even mother nature could have dreamed of giving to the girls. My advice is give it a wide birth or get the host/ess to change the theme. I feel very strongly about this.
    The point is really not to ridicule crossdressing or transgenderism. I would like to think of drag as separate to both of those. My friend is VERY pro LGBT+ and within our group we have all sorts of people (inc myself but no body actually knows). The point of the party is really just an excuse for the girls to have BIG make up and BIG hair, no ridicule intended.

Maybe just go as yourself but get a little garish with the makeup and go for those super high heels. It will keep all the unknowings guessing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

I would go as best looking that you can. Use your own wig and don't buy a cheap one. Do not try to be a drag queen. Go as your girl self and have fun.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Spammer
    So let me get this right the GG's are going for big make up and big hair then they are trying to look like drag queens?
    How is that drag for them? Drag for them would be dressing as men would it not?

My first time out in public was at a friend's Halloween party.
    I went all out, wife did my makeup, fully shaved and smooth. It was great! When I entered I heard my close friend who was the host say, "who is that broad?", then "that's not a broad, it's a guy. Who is that guy?"
    I was silently laughing. When they finally realized who it was they couldn't believe it. All the girls kept me busy all night with questions about my makeup, what kind of stockings was I wearing, what did I use for breasts, etc. It was a fabulous night!

I would say, go all out and be yourself. Most will think you just went for it costume wise and the others that wonder...well let them wonder.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar
    How old are you & the group in general,, If you get "tagged" as cd will it really make a difference?
    I am 76 and my neighbors and lots of friends know of Joan..
    Enjoy what you can when you can
    (((HUGGS )))
    JoanAz

Banned Spammer
    Like Cheryl T says let them wonder.
    After all its a drag party and you went in drag.
    The only one making a big deal about what others think is you.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Seriously, your best approach is to bag me an invite and I'll take all the flak first. There'll be no denying my gender presentation . Then you can reveal yourself in all of your glory. When there's a party to be had, I'm completely selfless...not!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    So let me get this right the GG's are going for big make up and big hair then they are trying to look like drag queens?
    How is that drag for them? Drag for them would be dressing as men would it not?
    Erm,...er...yeah, exactly that I think. If you go dressed, at least you'll be out and no messing. I understand the point of not wanting to ridicule Trans peeps and all that, but anything better than a parody character is going to out you quicker than a club doorman...or is that person?

I'm afraid it's either Bob mode or all out Alex...sorry!

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

GG's could go as drag kings... who knows.

Silver Member
    By all means go. Options could be:

- Don't dress - safe and quite boring
    - Dress silly or comical - safe and disappointing
    - Dress normal girly self - risk may initiate suspicions - offers excitement, fun and anxiety
    - Dress "over the top" - be a drag queen yourself - drag queen makeup and hair - may be safe if extreme and fun to do

By all means, go and dress as you would feel most comfortable, and enjoy yourself.

Drag is supposed to be over the top. OTT make up, OTT clothes. Sounds like a hoot, what's with all the belly aching from everyone?
    If it were me, I'd get done up as well as possible and give credit to my friend.

Be all that you can be!
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    As mentioned before "drag" is usually flamboyant. Have fun, over do the eye shadow, make your hair into an 80's style and pack on the boobs. You dont have to look comical, but have fun with it.
    Erica

Banned Read only
    "Drag" is over the top. If that is the theme, then so be it. If you attend and look "normal" you will be suspected of being a closet cross dresser. Do you care?

If you dress over the top, then you are following the theme and you will fit in, you can then act flamboyant and it will be obvious it is an act and nobody should assume you are a regular crossdresser. Have fun with it!