Thread: How many years will it be until we can comfortably"embrace our femininity in public?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many years will it be until we can comfortably"embrace our femininity in public?

I currently tinker on the androgyne style of clothing. It's been pretty comfortable for me and women don't seem to mind my look . I did manage to go out dressed to a gay bar once, but I still didn't feel comfortable at all, plus there were guys ridiculing me, etc.

I'm 22, and people tell me my generation is a lot more "accepting". I'd have to strongly refute that fact. If anything, my peers are much more judgmental. It's easy to say "don't care what others think!", but that's just not the case more times than not.

I've always wondered though if by the time I'm 40-50 years old, if men will then have the ability to get all dolled up without taking all of the backlash for it. Transgender individuals don't really help our cause because they're just going from one box to another(not saying they had a choice in the matter). Since they are considered to be women, they should also be able to wear the clothing of the opposite gender.

I honestly feel like women are allowed to express themselves so much more in society. As men, we are told to show no emotion and "man up", and if you're gay, good luck pal. It's no wonder why male suicide rates are through the roof.

I truly believe that every man has a least SOME sort of a "feminine" side, for some of us, our feminine side just happens to be dressing very delicately, loving the feeling of being "pretty". Except society outlaws this type of thing greatly, partly because society also hates gays, we're pretty much seen as the same entity.

There are lots of gender non-conforming men on this planet though. Male nurses. Male flight attendants. Male kindergarten teachers, etc. We are truly an extreme minority though, or maybe not, as most people keep this kind of stuff DEEP in the closet. I guess the answer is that we have to be the change and I see some people on this forum doing just that. I envy some of you here.
    Last edited by mikeyp; 10-13-2015 at 04:04 PM.