Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many years will it be until we can comfortably"embrace our femininity in public?

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Answer = whenever you are able to overcome your internalized transphobia

Transphobia? Nah. More like afraid of being the center of attention no matter where I go. It's a pretty normal human reaction, right? Most of us want to conform to societies "norms" to a certain extent, no?
    Last edited by Lorileah; 10-15-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: no need to quote ost above yours

Banned Read only
    mp:

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. We'll all be dust before that happens...

DeeAnn

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
    Transphobia? Nah. More like afraid of being the center of attention no matter where I go.
    Well how exactly are you dressing that you are such the center of attention?

@Nadine

Uhhhh

I mostly fetishize certain outfits, so the other stuff doesn't really do it for me. I like to go over the top I guess? Tight skirts, super high heels, etc. The other stuff just doesn't do it for me right now sadly. So if I go out, it's either all out party girl or nothing. I don't really like "normal" girl clothes or tops. Leggings are pretty sexy though, but I don't really consider that CDing.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 10-15-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: no need to quote post above yours

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Your title of this thread is "How many years will it be until we can comfortably"embrace our femininity in public?," but I think that what you are really asking is "How many years will it be until we can comfortably embrace our sexual fetishes in public."

I am not attempting to be offensive, though I know it will probably come off that way. Cross dressing for a sexual fetish is fine. I fully support people in that. Whatever floats your boat as long as you are not causing others unwanted harm, then fine, have at it. But if you are dressing for a sexual thrill, and wanting to go out in public, then aren't you kind of involving the unwitting public in your sexual activities? There are plenty of sexual things I like to do, but they are done alone or with my wife, and not in public. I suppose if you want the public involved then maybe you need to go to where that is expected, like a sexually oriented club, and not going to the mall.

Maybe if you are wanting to go out in public, maybe, just possibly, there is something going on here that is more than just a sexual fetish? Maybe not. But maybe??

It all depends on you. Many people are comfortably expressing their gender preferences publicly now.
    My name is Carol.

None of us will be alive by then, and that is assuming that it will happen. We live in such a primitive society...

More like afraid of being the center of attention no matter where I go.
    Oh that surely is not possibly internal transphobia. Hahaha!
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 10-15-2015 at 03:23 AM.

Call it whatever you want. The fact is, getting clocked isn't funny.

I'm 22, and people tell me my generation is a lot more "accepting". I'd have to strongly refute that fact. If anything, my peers are much more judgmental. It's easy to say "don't care what others think!", but that's just not the case more times than not.

I've always wondered though if by the time I'm 40-50 years old, if men will then have the ability to get all dolled up without taking all of the backlash for it.
    If a sizable percentage of men wanted to dress in a feminine manner, then it could become mainstream. But the reality is, the vast majority of men don't want to be feminine and so I don't think it will ever be embraced. Even if everyone in our society becomes educated enough to eventually acknowledge that men who wish to be feminine are not sick (and that's a big IF), I think they will still continue to be regarded as outliers and there will still be people who will wish to keep their distance.

So the trick is for you to establish a good group of friends within this community who do accept you and don't pay attention to the rest.

<edit>
    I just read your post about the type of clothes you like to wear in public. Nadine is right .. if you want to be accepted while wearing those clothes, go to a GLBT nightclub and not a mall. I mean, even GGs who dress in club clothes at the mall get stared at, and not always for positive reasons.
    Last edited by ReineD; 10-15-2015 at 04:06 AM.
    Reine

Call it whatever you want. The fact is, getting clocked isn't funny.
    There you go, once you overcome your own fear of being made out as a transperson or crossdresser then you should feel more comfortable embracing your "femininity" while out in public
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 10-15-2015 at 05:50 AM.

Platinum Member

Not In My Lifetime !!

Hi Mikeyp, Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen, There is way too much Macho Testosterone floating around.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    If a sizable percentage of men wanted to dress in a feminine manner, then it could become mainstream. But the reality is, the vast majority of men don't want to be feminine and so I don't think it will ever be embraced. Even if everyone in our society becomes educated enough to eventually acknowledge that men who wish to be feminine are not sick (and that's a big IF), I think they will still continue to be regarded as outliers and there will still be people who will wish to keep their distance.
    Look no further than this... What society accepts and cultures as the norms for masculinity defines a great deal of what Western society is about, and a lot more of some Mid-Eastern societies - the main symptom of this condition (crossdressing) is going to be no more acceptable in general society than other outcasts, weirdos, oddballs and rebels will ever be... although tolerance may be guided by education and legislation - that is our only likely compensation...

But yeah, if your chosen dress preference is fetish or otherwise edgy, there are clubs that will cater for this (and not necessarily the LGBT friendly places) but in 'normal world' you will always stand out unless you wear 'normal uniform'.

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieMac View Post
    hmmmm yeah the transgender and/ or the cross dressing thing has been rattling around in my head for a while. Kind of funny now that being transgendered is ranked slightly higher on the acceptability chart than cross dressers. Like ooooh, it's Ok for you to wear that because you want to be a woman, of course you will wear women's clothes.
    However, one of the nice benefits our TG friends have given us CD-ers, is if we are approached we can just say we are a TG-er in transition.
    "Because you want to be a woman". I didn't think anyone on this forum was so uneducated about trans matters. That's insulting, but more important, completely wrong. WE ARE WOMEN!!

"Just say we are a TG-er in transition". WHO???? is going to ask? and what the hell is a TG-er? That would come out as- transgender-er.

Stay inside. And don't talk.
    Last edited by Katey888; 10-15-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Correcting members use of language is not done

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    There you go, once you overcome your own fear of being made out as a transperson or crossdresser then you should feel more comfortable embracing your "femininity" while out in public
    The problem is that fear goes along with a very real threat of physical violence, especially in the South.
    I'm a girl when I feel like it

Banned Read only
    AM:

Your reference really points more to transsexuals and not to those of us, including me, who are transgender. While I have a bit of gender dysphoria, I have no desire to transition, live as a woman full time or "be" a woman. It is not enough to move me to try to correct anything. For transsexuals, the lack of alignment between physical and emotional selves is something that must be corrected.

DeeAnn

Silver Member
    As others have said, you already have the ability to "doll up" and dress the way you want to. Some people will probably "accept" you. Some may probably will not. Most won't care. You will also never know what people think.

If you want to wait 40 years, or 50, or 60, maybe crossdressing will be commonplace or universally "accepted". Who knows?

But try to live your life for yourself and figure out how to enjoy dressing the way you want to. Live you life for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    Yeah, well, maybe. That's why I just get dressed up and walk right out and enjoy it. I'm not waiting for society to catch up to me!
    that is my approach as well

I'm comfortable expressing my femininity in public. I go to stores, restaurants I've been to NYC a few times dressed, and other cities, even took the commuter bus into NY. I don't think I pass but I do try to dress appropriate if not one step nicer for the situation.
    Once I learned to be comfortable with myself, I've had no problems with the public.