Thread: How's your spidy sense - do SAs feel awkward?

Banned Read only

How's your spidy sense - do SAs feel awkward?

No UK girls, I don't mean SAS (Special Air Service, I know I totally scare the crap outa those blokes 😀 ) Sales Associates...I was just picking up a couple things at a local convenience store and let's say I present like a 'tween', wearing skinny jeans (that rock my behind), push up bra, and a black Moncler jacket that looks like a shiny down filled dress (funny that sounds like boasting here but at work or the gym I'd get my fat behind handed to me with a side order of regret 😯 )

Anyway, both SAs were completely polite in greeting me when I came in. One male and the other female, I checked out with the guy and I couldn't help feeling he was nervous and kinda awkward (but completely polite)...anyone feel that as well when in 'tween' mode?

That same clerk may well be nervous and awkward if one of your SAS guys came in all decked out in cammo and dead-eyes. When confronting someone who is outside the norms of our experience, there's a tendency to be a little skittish at first. Smile, give 'em some small-talk, put 'em at ease. You're setting the tone for his next encounter.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    That same clerk may well be nervous and awkward if one of your SAS guys came in all decked out in cammo and dead-eyes. When confronting someone who is outside the norms of our experience, there's a tendency to be a little skittish at first. Smile, give 'em some small-talk, put 'em at ease. You're setting the tone for his next encounter.
    LOL, maybe pink camo...I've actually seen that 😆 I agree Jennie, I am actually more friendly in the 'tween' mode, I like to think at least that I'm an advocate and ambassador for 'us'...if only in my mind anyway ☺

yeah, the plumber visited today and was all flustered by my leggings and nail ;-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

In tween mode UK SA's are more conservative and reserved.

In the 'States, they are more receptive to abnormal presentations and are more likely to comment on how cool you look.

Because they probably find your appearance interesting and are more curious.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

SAs are just people, and you'll get the same range of reactions from them as from any other group. The profit motive may skew the results a little; they're more likely to hold their tongue if they disapprove, or to express enthusiasm if they like the way you look. I've freaked out a few SAs in my time, not so much by dressing femme per se, as by dressing femme AND acting like I was nervous about it. As I've gained experience and become more confident (not that I don't still have a ways to go), so has the apparent friendliness and enthusiasm of the SAs where I shop. I'm probably also better at picking out the ones who will be OK with helping me.

- Diane

I've had some SAs that haven't reacted too well to me either non, "tween" or fully fully dressed. Not negative per-say but uncomfortable. In general though very positive experiences especially when I say that I'm shopping for myself.

Robin, I've also experienced that uncertainty in a local convenience store but as it's often said here, own the encounter and act like it's completely normal, make eye contact.

Lets face it, to many we're a novelty, something they don't see every day so it's not surprising that they may not know how to react.
    One of my first interactions with an SA was it the home of the uber male, the DIY store. There were 2 tills open, one staffed by a GG busy with a customer, the other staffed by a male. As I presented my items it was obvious the SA was a little uncertain, not openly hostile but certainly standoffish. I think in part it had something to done with him being an older gentleman. The GG SA had finished with her customer and glancing up I could see that she to recognised her colleagues unease as a little smile came across her lips.

One final observation, although my experiences are limited I have found SA's in women's clothing stores to be generally less phased. I hope that's because they're wowed by my dress sense!
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Reality Check
    Eventually, these clerks will see just about everything and after a few thousand customers the main thing they are looking for is a weapon or a sign that you are going to rob them or cause some other sort of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    yeah, the plumber visited today and was all flustered by my leggings and nail ;-)
    He's a plumber -- they're never flustered but often flushed.