Thread: Walking the Walk

Walking the Walk

I believe in certain things, but there can often be a disconnect between theory and real life. I guess I crossed a line today, or rather, I discovered today that I had crossed a line without realizing it. It was a really good discovery.

I believe that the gender binary is a myth. By that I mean I do not believe in gender as a black and white thing with everyone either male or female. I confess, though I am internally female, there are days when I still feel “male”...whatever that means...haha. It does not happen often anymore, but it does still happen. And, at six two in height, I have no illusions that without a lot of obvious gender markers such as a wig, full makeup, heels etc...that I appear female to most casual observers. Though my hair is quite long now, I am quite sure that if I simply throw on a sweat shirt and jeans and run to the store without makeup, wig, heels and purse...as many gg's might on a lazy Saturday morning... that I will be gendered as male, despite having been on hormones now for five years.

I just accept that.

And here is where the theory thing comes in. I don't care how I am gendered (as long as misgendering is not done maliciously and deliberately). I don't expect to “pass” without trying. But my theoretical believe is that it doesn't matter. I know who I am and am comfortable with myself.
    But...in practice...in real life...testing those beliefs has been a difficult thing to do. Fully dressed I am always gendered correctly, as female. But in what passes for drab for me lately it has not been an issue. I have always been gendered as male...slightly odd male...lol... but male.
    Until today.
    My reaction surprised myself.

I had to run to the drug store this morning ( I was out of tonic water for my G&Ts tee hee).
    I threw on a pair of skinny jeans, a hoodie, baseball cap and sneakers. No makeup and no bra. I ran into the store and grabbed the bottles and walked up to the counter. The clerk was a few rows back in the store. He caught sight of me and yelled out “I'll be right with you ma'am”.
    Now, being in what my mind still thinks of as “male mode”, and without thinking, I yelled back in “male” voice “No problem”
    A moment later the clerk walked up to the counter and said “Sorry about that, sir, the long hair threw me off.”
    And, again without thinking, I laughed and said “No problem. It's cool. I am transgender”
    Without missing a beat the clerk, a nice young man in his late 20s or early 30s said “Oh, ok, no problem...which do you prefer?”
    I said “It doesn't matter” and laughed “I know who I am”
    And I smiled.
    He smiled back, chuckled naturally, and said “That's a great attitude!”
    We then had a very brief discussion about gender and the binary. He was really cool and happy to learn something about a subject he knew little about.
    And I walked out smiling.
    Maybe it was because someone had seen me and, without any tricks, seen me as female.
    But maybe...and I think this is the reality...maybe it was because I realized that I finally really do not care. My gender is not determined by how others react to me. It is internal and real and something with which I am totally comfortable. If others get that...awesome. If they don't...I don't care. I really, finally, totally do not care.

I know exactly who I am.

I am transgender.

And I am not only comfortable with that....

…..I am proud of it.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Sam such a great attitude to have and knowing exactly what this part of you is about is great.
    Thanks for sharing

Sam, great story. I am gender fluid but do not care how fem anybody sees me. I am proud of who I am and I know that I am transgender also.
    Part Time Girl

A great little story Sam,And now that Ive made it here myself I hope to hear more about you.See you in Nov.
    Sindey

Way to go, Sammy. Once we accept ourselves its a lot easier to talk and be social with others. A friendly talkative attitude and warm personality work wonders.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samantha rogers View Post
    I am transgender. And I am not only comfortable with that....…..I am proud of it.
    Well said Sammi! We all need to follow the example you are setting.
    Kelly
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

You're not walking, Sammie, you're marching with that attitude!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Aspiring Member Dana does shopping's Avatar
    Tears Sammi, you 've made me shed some tears , happy ones mind you ...

You are right. The important thing is to be secure in our self and who we are. We are all so different so how can we expect the general crowd to react to us in the correct way. When they are saying sir or ma’am to us and don’t say it correct it isn’t always meant as they don’t respect us. They are trying to say the correct phrase but don’t know what to say. If we are being more secure in our self and who we are, we will get more respect and understanding from the people we meet.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha rogers View Post
    It is internal and real and something with which I am totally comfortable. If others get that...awesome. If they don't...I don't care. I really, finally, totally do not care...
    I'm still working on this but it's great to hear you have reached a point that you are now totally comfortable with how you feel inside.

Thanks for sharing.

Banned Read only
    Great response. I really really like how you reacted in this situation.

The clerk made a mistake - because of your hair he thought you were female. No big deal. No deal at all in fact.

After educating the clerk, from your post I would say it is the clerk who should be congratulated on this thread, more than you yourself should be (that isn't to say that you shouldn't be applauded, just that the clerk should be applauded more than you).

What stands out the most however, for me, is your attitude, which I think is absolutely top class - you are proud of who you are, and in my humble opinion it needs more people like you in order for the tg community to become more accepted.

It's the one (only) problem I have with those who desire to pass. If they are successful with that, then that means that they are not representing the tg community at all, because if they pass, then no one sees them as tg. If you pass as a woman, and people think of you as a woman, then in their eyes you effectually are a woman. in such situations, transgender doesn't even enter the public's consciousness. What takes more courage are not the ones who pass, but the one's who don't, yet have the balls (pun excluded) to present themselves to the public nonetheless. These are the ones who I have the utmost respect for.

Great read and very thoughtful Sammi... thanks for sharing,

Jamie
    At the makeup counter

It was an excellent teaching moment and you used it. You have a wonderful attitude!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

totally agreed!! what a great way to look at it all

Awesome coolness! I think you're my hero/heroine.

What a nice young man!

Affirming for you Sammi - and I find totally abhorrent the idea that you could look anything but totally chic even in a sweatshirt - but like Jenni said, it's great to see such an accepting and understanding attitude from a muggle...

Perhaps they'll all be like him one day...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sammy those same things happen to me a lot people just see the long hair,skinny jeans and think female.
    I get ma'am'd a lot from the back and sometimes from the front and it doesn't bother me one bit because like you I know who I am and that is transgender.
    I have gotten some younger guys on the register that seem to be cool with it and refer to me as ma'am because they are used to seeing us or at least know about us.
    Great story Sammy

A gentle searcher. Chriscrossed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni_xx View Post
    ...from your post I would say it is the clerk who should be congratulated on this thread
    I agree, I loved the story, your natural flow during the exchange and especially the hero clerk with the open mind.

Chris.

It will be people like you, with your attitude and your willingness in public to let people see you for what you are and not make them feel uncomfortable, that will make Transgenders less scary and uncomfortable to the general public.

Excellent story, thanks for sharing. What we do for our Gin and Tonics hahaha

i love and applaud your attitude. it would be so great in the future when 2 people meet,
    hit it off and connect, and gender is a secondary question... after your ask their horoscope sign
    and religion...
    paula

Congratulations on reaching that point of self acceptance. Whether we're male, female, or something in between, we should all be proud to be who we are, huh? Thanks for reminding us of that.