Thread: Halloween costume question

Halloween costume question

So I know for the most part, when it comes to Adult Halloween costumes, pretty much anything goes. I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it is disrespectful to our community, so I though I would try to get some opinions from here!

My thought was to wear a dress and present as well as possible, but not to worry about my hairy arms or "man-hands" (I usually wear long sleeves or a jacket). The costume part would be to get one of the "Hello my name is" stickers and write Bruce Jenner, and then cross out the Bruce and write Caitlyn above it. I'm not sure how it would be received by the general public(and don't really care), but I would care if it would be considered offensive by a sister. Any thoughts?

Miranda

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    What r u hoping to accomplish? Crossdress, or wear a more socially acceptable look? Sounds like you're mixing apples and oranges, FG.

Vanillas that dress as females on Halloween usually do the comedic look. With a $3 wig, beard and stash, balloon boobs, etc.

While first time out dressers often go for a polished, regular female look.

Personally, I go for a, female in a costume look. Because I sometimes can pass that way. I can do comedy looks at home, in private, the other 364 days a year!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Im not sure of this idea, sounds like some people will take it wrong and make it a mockery. Im thinking doc made a good point. I would either go full blown drag queen and have fun with it, or run the risk that someone will catch on that you have a bit too much experience in finding a female persona. I would keep the name tag out of it though. Just my opinion so please lets hear from others.
    Erica

Banned Read only
    IMHO, go as an amazing looking woman, but 'act' like a dude!

Banned Read only
    A "woman" is not a costume.

personally, I think it would be insulting. Just dress up and use that as a costume. You may think it's a tribute (I don't quite get how you take it but the statement of man hands and hairy arms tells me you don't "Get" the transsexual group) but it will be seen as a joke. But I'm not at your party so...
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I wouldn't touch it either.
    I've done a few years as the standard "witch", mostly adult parties (almost lost a boob when everyone wanted to feel and try on my breasts).
    This year the party is a daytime party at a 2 year olds, so hopefully wifes wedding dress and angle wings (or as the Ice Queen or similar)
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    A "woman" is not a costume.
    I totally agree. And, well, you know, Ms. Jenner seriously deserves every bit of respect that we can offer.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    If I were to do a Caitlyn Jenner costume it would be as feminine as possible with a female olympian outfit or with a glamour dress accessorized with gold medals. No sash or signs to explain who I am trying to portray

"A "woman" is not a costume." You nailed it Jennifer. That's exactly what the problem is using Halloween as an excuse to cross dress in public and think people won't think anything of it. They'll know you are a cross dresser now. Not a big deal if you are out, but a big deal if you are not.

Reality Check
    It wouldn't offend me but this seems to be the year of the "offended" so I'm sure it would offend someone, somewhere. I think it's a pretty good idea, personally. Try to find an outfit that looks like the one Jenner posed in for the magazine cover.

Why not trim your hairy arms with a "man's groomer"? You will still have hair but it won't be so obvious.

Edit: I see you have already offended some people and you haven't even left your home. Halloween costumes often imitate or make fun of public figures. I remember JFK and Richard Nixon masks from the past. You can be sure you won't be the only one wearing a Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner costume this year.

See this:
    http://www.papermag.com/2015/10/in_g...ws_caitlyn.php
    Last edited by Krisi; 10-28-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Some people might laugh, some might blow it off, and some will upset upset. That costume would offend someone no doubt about that.

A woman is not a costume? Oh, please. How many of us dressed as a woman - no particular woman - for Halloween? Furthermore, Caitlyn is a celebrity, and fair game. I like the idea, and think it's clever and funny. But then, I don't wake up every day looking for something to offend me like some do. Do it, have fun on Halloween, and when it's over it's over, and the offended can get over it.

The concept behind Halloween costumes is disguise, so all the cross-cultural angst on display this time of year seems a little misplaced. If your costume is designed to disrespect someone/some culture then it's wrong. If it's meant to disguise you so the evil spirits combing the world on All Hallow's Eve won't be able to recognize you and give you your just comeuppance, then it's fair.

Your proposed costume could be sly social commentary or it could be disrespectful to Transgender people everywhere -- you have to ask yourself why you're wearing it. If you're satisfied that your heart is pure, then go for it.

Thanks for the responses. As it turns out, I won't even have to make the decision...the party that I was hoping to attend was cancelled! So I guess that this is life's way of saying that I shouldn't.