For those of you who see Halloween as an opportunity to go out dressed, to you I address this.

Do it. Do it now. You'll regret it later in life if you don't. And if you DO, you'll have a wonderful feeling and great memories and SATISFACTION that you DID it.

Believe me, I am old, and I know.

If being outted or seen by friends or acquaintances makes it not doable anywhere near home, or at friends' parties, etc., then plan to go out of town, to another city, to do it. This situation is UNDERSTANDABLE. I regret those I know whom I shared it with. For many, it can be a stigma for life whether we want to admit that or not. Whether it's fair or not, it's real.

A city known for partying, Halloween, or wildness on party holidays anyway---that's a great way to go. That probably applies to any large US city (sorry I don't know about EU or Asia, etc.) But I know New Orleans French Quarter is a fabulous place for Halloween. Get a room or bed and breakfast and walk everywhere the entire Halloween weekend, because people will be partying before, after and on Halloween. I am sure there are places that would be like this in San Fran, LA, NYC and tons of even smaller cities. Probably would have to research to find the right party "districts". And here it is Halloween Eve so if you haven't planned for this....

Go to another part of YOUR city. Or to a nearby, neighboring city where you'd feel no one would know you.

AND, right now, or on Nov 1, start planning for Halloween 2016. that's what I did. For a few years, in middle age---and I deeply regret I did not do it when younger (circumstances prohibited.)

There's nothing like being out. Halloween has a special appeal to some of us (a small % I'd say, based on checking here around Halloween the last few years.) But for some of us, Halloween (or costume parties and such) can be absolutely titilating.

Take my advice. It's better to do something and regret it than to NOT do something and regret NOT doing it. In my plans the regrets might be that it wasn't as much fun as you'd hoped it would be, perhaps. But for me it NEVER was. Large parties in cities benefitting AIDS or other charities might draw a lot of gay people, and though I'm not gay, I've been to parties like that, attended by thousands, including tons of straight people, and it's like a free pass for dressing up and going out! A big party can be like an entire party "district" with lots of people and lots to offer (various libations, various music, different places to stand, sit, be a wallflower, or dance with people all around you)

Thank you and best regards.