Thread: Dressing Service

Dressing Service

Has anyone here used a dressing / makeover service to help get a better look? Did the experience work... would you recommend the same for someone starting out?

Samantha, I have been to True Colors in Bethlehem PA. I can highly recommend Amanda.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

All the ones I knew of went out of business..... and I guess if your new and want to experience everything st ones its probably awesome... Personally shopping and experimenting are two of the more fun aspects of this......

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Samantha, I have been to True Colors in Bethlehem PA. I can highly recommend Amanda.
    I saw Amanda posting Halloween photos on here facebook page... See looks amazing. Technically its more of a glamour photo shop, right? She doesn't help you shop or anything...
    Last edited by Karren H; 11-03-2015 at 10:28 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I've tried a few
    Do your research, It can range from professional makeup artists, to not much more than your friends "practicing"
    on you.
    Professionals will have a portfolio, keep their brushes clean , use high quality products,ETC. and have references.
    If you have a DIY leaning, there are 2 books that set the standard. Making Faces,and Face Foreward, both by Kevin Aucoin, he was an incredible makeup artist, easily readable, and full of excellent information.
    The professional makeup artist I went to recommended these.
    Expect to pay $100 and up for professional work. Well worth it if you're going to do a photo shoot, or a special occasion.
    Ask if they cater to the TG community. Male skin is a little different, and they know how to enhance features or hide flaws
    If you're just starting out, a great makeover will really make you feel and look great ,as well as learn the right way to do you're makeup
    Last edited by Jacqueline StGermain; 11-03-2015 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff

Thank you so much.. I always think word of mouth is better than simple trial and error

Banned Read only
    I know MAC is very CD/TG friendly for a makeover with tutorial...haven't tried one yet but have had a private consultation, I was VERY new at the time (took a 20+ yr break) but found it very comfortable (but wow, all the stuff I bought 😲 ) LOL

As for a dressing service though, I've seen a few online but very location dependant. I had a GG friend who thought about offering the service, might check the local LGBT community for a GG who does that, I'm sure it's not at all uncommon ☺

Not really answering the question, but ... I will second Jaqueline's recomendation of Kevin Aucoin's books. Very inspirational!

- Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    ... Personally shopping and experimenting are two of the more fun aspects of this......
    I've never used a service like that. Not intentionally but honestly because being such a n00b i didn't even know they existed. I tend to think Karren's statement is something more in line with what I want to experience but wow is that the expensive way to go.
    Last edited by IamWren; 11-04-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

A gentle searcher. Chriscrossed's Avatar
    If you are in the UK this looks cool: http://www.stylemequirky.com/

I'm going to try a traditional styling service starting Friday morning, read more here:
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...st-appointment

Samantha, You didn't mention where you're at.
    I have friends all over the US., and I could ask them if I know what area you're in. I think most big cities will have someone that can "dress" you, beyond only makeup.

Banned Read only
    s42:

I have not used a shopping service and I don't know of anyone who does that in my area for crossdressers and transgender people.

However, for makeup, I've visited a semi-retired makeup professional outside of Atlanta, Phoebe Cross. I've been 3 times (most recently about a month ago) and others here have been as well. She taught me a lot about makeup and application techniques. She also has TONS of clothes, shoes, wigs, forms, undergarments, etc., but mostly I brought my own as I wanted to see how I looked when completely done in an outfit that I was going to wear out.

Phoebe took the photo below during my visits and my current avatar also (all my own clothes):
    Attached Images Attached Images

These photos from my first and only experience with a dressing/transformation service. The photos and transformation were by Beth Taylor at her studio in Arlington, Virginia. I'm certainly no looker, but I was extremely pleased with the results and would recommend a professional transformation for anyone who is considering this option.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Katherine L.; 11-05-2015 at 06:38 AM.
    WARNING: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other reasons, you do not have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form. If you do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

I've been to the MAC store twice for makeovers. Both times were wonderful experiences. Be prepared to drop a couple of hundred dollars though, the make-over session plus the cosmetics they expect you to purchase. There is no hard sell, but after such a wonderful time, how can you not purchase some items.

Cassie

Silver Member
    All the ones I knew of went out of business..... and I guess if your new and want to experience everything st ones its probably awesome... Personally shopping and experimenting are two of the more fun aspects of this......
    I saw Amanda posting Halloween photos on here facebook page... See looks amazing. Technically its more of a glamour photo shop, right? She doesn't help you shop or anything...
    Amanda is awesome. She is a magician and quite talented. She made me look and feel good - and she is so pleasant and fun to be around.

I am so glad to see you again, Karren. You are one of my heroes and your comments always made me laugh and feel good.

The one stop for clothing, makeup and accessories, closest to me is "Transformations", in Arlington Heights Il. I highly recommend Rori and her competent staff.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Karren, you are correct, she is more of a glamour photo shop.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

For makeup....try a Merl Norman cosmetics store. I had a couple of really great experiences in Merl Norman stores and bought several products. I'd call in first and see if they are comfortable working with cross dressers.

Yes I have used a dressing service. Find yourself a professional and you will be amazed, and hopefully delighted, at the results. You might even find it quite emotional - I did!
    I don't know what part of the world you're in but if in the UK I can recommend a few places. PM me!

Samantha,

When I started dressing I was working in SF. I was out dancing one night and a girl was telling me about a make over service that she had used in the Portland area. My wife told me I would have to go else where for make up tips. One week my wife and her girl friend stayed at my place in SF while I was at home. I found the make over service, about 5 miles from my house, and made an appointment for Wednesday evening. I took a video camera and recorded the whole session. We got to talking, very interesting person, and before I knew it she was done, about an hour. In addition to the makeup service, she sells the forms, wigs, pads, and clothes and rents out clothing lockers for girls to keep their stuff. You can also arrange to have her plan an evening out somewhere on the town with her. One evening she showed up with one of her new clients who had never been out at a Halloween party. Her new client was 89 years young. How cool is that. She has expanded her business to include a bed and breakfast.

The evening of the make over, I was just planning to learn something about applying makeup that evening. She said I should go downtown and meet up with a bunch of girls that go out for dinner every Wednesday night and off to a bar to drink, dance, and shoot a little pool. So I did. Quite an eclectic and active group. The weekly schedule now is Monday night football, Wednesday night dinner, Thursday night football sometimes, Friday bar night get together for conversation, drinks, and pool.

The MAC counter can be a bit pricey. One of the gals in the group has arranged private makeup lessons at Nordstroms. It has been a while, but I recall the arrangement as $50.00 per person with a minimum number of participants. The fee was applied to purchase of product. A couple of the MAC makeup artists would demonstrate on a techniques to achieve a certain look on a volunteer model in a private room. The classes ran about 1 to 1.5 hours with plenty of time for questions and answers. After class one could venture back out to the counter and if you asked, they, would put you in a seat and give a quick make over.

I would love to go to a dressing service but don't really know of any near me in the UK