Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wonderful people

Wonderful people

Last Friday, I decided to get some professional advice on a lipstick shade. The MAC store has great staff and I had been before, so off I went to a stand alone MAC store in. By this I mean not a counter at a department store, but a store that was just MAC Cosmetics. There was I time that the thought of being seen out was frightening, I think we can all relate. I thought that I needed to completely 'Pass' or bad things would happen. While I have gotten better at my appearance, by no means do I pass.

I arrived at the MAC store, wearing leggings, the ones that stop just below the knee, with a loose V-neck top and heels. This is my standard casual attire. A male employee approached and asked to help. I told him what I wanted and he quickly found just the right shade of red, I had requested red. He led me to a makeup chair to try it on. Gave me a lip base to use first. I applied it and the lipstick then he handed me a liner pencil. I told him I was not very good with the pencil and he showed me the easy way to do it. It involves the angle you hold the pencil. I told hime it was perfect and I would buy all three. When I started to get up he said wait, I want you to 'Pop'. I had done my eyes, that day but little else. He applied, blush, a little contour, the added to my eyes. Then told me exactly how and why he chose each. If you look at my current profile picture you will see his handy work.

There was no time that either thought I was anything other than a transgender. He was super encouraging and seemed to enjoy helping me make the best of myself. In fact everyone in the store was extremely friendly.

Just outside the store was a Starbucks stand and I proceeded to get in line for a coffee. While waiting a lady behind me commented on a chocolate pastery in the case and I replied that it did indeed look good. Since I responded she struck up a conversation with me. Mentioning that her 'Partner' was shopping in the Mall. I grabbed a table and offered her the other chair. She sat and we ended up talking for over an hour. The conversation encompassed everything from our lives, jobs travels, wine etc. And of course a lot about how much the world has changed for us. She was gay and I was trans, and we were both quite happy about it. There we sat, two perfect strangers, at Starbucks in the middle of a busy up-scale mall, chatting away. And absolutely no one acted any differently around us.

Finally I stopped by a store that specializes in prepared gourmet food to go and bought dinner for my wife and myself. The checkout girl greeted me and the let out a 'I love your Makeup!' I told her of my trip to the MAC store and she again complimented my lip color. We ended up chatting for 10 minutes, as it was mid afternoon and they were not busy. Again no need to pretend to be anything other than what I am, a gender non-binary human being. People can and will be wonderful, if you just give them the chance.
    Jess
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

These are the stories that we see time and time again, just how freeing it is to be out. The wonderful experiences outweigh any negative ones you might encounter by 100 to 1. Glad that you had a spectacular day and yes, the MAC people are great!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Sounds great I love a story with a good ending

Jess, what a great set of encounters. Good for you.

Jess, you are so right about the acceptance. We both want to go to the mall and get a make-up done like on a Saturday.
    Part Time Girl

I love going to cosmetic counters. Last March I was going to the Keystone Conference in Pa. It was my 2nd time there. I got my hair and nails done at my regular place and went to the Ester Lauder counter in Macy's. I like to go when they give you a free bag with cosmetics when you make a purchase. I needed some foundation and I like theirs. The sales person was so nice. We had a wonderful conversation and she told me she never met a person like me. She was young and her meeting a older TG like myself was something new. I think more and more people are beginning to accept us.

Aspiring Member
    One of the nicest things about going out and about dressed is the lovely people you meet that you would never have encountered in male mode.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    What a awesome experience!

Hang on!

I re-read that twice to be sure I'd got that right...

MAC USA has male cosmetic consultants...???

That is so cool. I don't think I've ever seen a male behind any cosmetic counter at ANY store in the UK - although I admit to not partaking much of the big cities and being a bit of a provincial girl...

Am I the only one here that's surprised by that..?

And what a great experience overall Jess - there are some wonderful people out there, you just have to get lucky with the ones you meet...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    What a great Friday!

That's so awesome!
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Hang on!

Katey x
    And Sephora also. Ours is in a JC Penny store and a guy helped my wife last year. I've also seen a few guys working cosmetic counters in Taiwan department stores.

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 11-04-2015 at 06:08 PM.

A gentle searcher. Chriscrossed's Avatar
    Isn't it great to be a nice person and know that there are a whole bunch more of us around to be nice with.

Great story of acceptance and being oneself. It just shows that if you don't go out you miss so much kindness and nicety. Talking to total strangers and educating them about our community is so fulfilling, it's what keeps me going out and out weights the bad experiences. Glad you had a great time and thanks for the story.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Deviating from the topic a bit but yes, male staff in MAC and Sephora. My local Sephora even has a TG girl employed.

What an awesome experience you had. Very encouraging for me... still not there yet, but the more I read on here, the closer I get to having a wonderful experience like all of you... thank you!

Banned Read only
    Great story Jess, I love the inspirational ones!

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    Also male consultants in here in SA.
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks pretty good

Looks awesome Jess ! There are a few guys at Sephora and Nordstroms cosmetics near me , and I am so tempted to ask them for a makeover. They wear a ton of makeup themselves, and I am sure they would be accepting and helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience

I am smiling from ear to ear, thank you for your story, it realy did make my day.

Mwah

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Hang on!

I can verify that the MAC store in the Cancun international departures terminal had one last Saturday. I SO wanted to go in, but 1) with family and 2) wouldn't match my passport! Gives me hope for my local stores and getting a makeover, though.

A lovely heartwarming story Jess. I am very happy for you. We need more people like this.

Silver Member
    Sweet story. I think this type of experience is the rule these days, not the exception. We just have to believe that and get out there as ourselves. We don't even have to kick the doors down anymore. Just hold your head high and put one three inch heel in front of the other.

I love, love, love, your story! I'm glad you had a such a time; Thanks for sharing!