Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reenactors: just curious

Any reenactors: just curious

Just one of the "just curious" questions that we all seem to come up with.

I have reenacted various historical time periods over the last 35 years (should cross dressing be one also ? Are there any of you that have also reenacted whether in your guy mode or as your female self? Personally, I have always strived to best portray the time period and the results have been worth the effort. My primary scenarios were the Civil War and both of the World Wars. I loved it when I saw GG women in period garb; but of course it was more my fantasy to dress like them!
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

I've been curious about doing WW2 Re-enactments, though from the perspective of a soldier rather than a woman :P
    Interesting to think about though!
    "And tell me, why you're staring. Come on, Come on, it must be, what I'm wearing! - Smash Mouth"

I used to do Medieval Reenactments. I focused on 14th Cen Italian mounted man-at-arms. There are a few dresses from the time period that I saw that would have been nice to have had a chance to wear, but for the most part, there was no desire to mix cross-dressing and reenactments.

I've been a Civil War reenactor for several years but have fallen out of the hobby in recent times.

All my impressions were male although I admit to casting a covetous eye towards the Southern Belles in their hoop skirts and long gowns.

Maybe someday, I already have the corset or two or three......

I haven't but would love to do this for the victorian era, middle-age, renaissance or to 'play' a civil war southern belle too.

Well I don't know if this qualifies or not.But I use to do cowboy reenactment competition shooting .Of course I portrayed a bountyhunter.but secretly I wanted to wear a saloon gal dress..

Yes, but not as a CD. For a very long time, like 20 years or so, I was active in a medieval/renaissance reenactment group called the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). They do primarily the period from 500 AD to 1600 AD, mostly western Europe. I wasn't actively cross-dressing at that time, but my wife and I did have matching outfits once, where mine was a red, tunic-like garment with tight cuffed sleeves, and hers a full length dress with long, flowing sleeves. Technically her gown was a style that both men and women would wear, and I did wear hers a few times at events, though not while presenting as female. I knew several crossdressers in the SCA, (both MtF and FtM) though I didn't know any of them very well. But I haven't been active in the SCA for the last ten years or so. Got burned out.

I still do go to Renaissance faires a lot, and I've seriously considered going to one as Ceera, and spending the day en-femme there. I have a Halloween costume type garment that I could arrive in - a 'lady in waiting' dress that's at least passable - and could most likely buy a complete women's outfit and change into it at various merchant booths at the event. Maybe I could be a tavern wench, or possibly a fine noblewoman. It would be fun for both myself and my daughter.

Once I move to Oregon, I will scope out the nearest Ren Faires, and see if any look like good ones to try that at. I also kept several of my late wife's period gowns, and some of them I could possibly alter to fit me, or could use as patterns to make fancy outfits for myself, since I do know how to sew rather well.
    Last edited by Ceera; 11-08-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceera View Post
    I was active in a medieval/renaissance reenactment group called the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).
    That is the group I done my reenactments stuff with as well, and you are like the 3rd person I have met on here that has been in the SCA.

I think it would be fun regardless of the gender portrayed

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    when I was young ( 12) I was part of a local civil war reenactor group...I was the drummer "boy" cause I was too young to carry a rifle....so much fun as a kid though

I've been involved in reenacting for 40 years, Rev War, F&I war, CW, and SCA all done in male mode I would love to have do it in female attire. Always envious of the ladies and what they get to wear.

I don't do reenactments, though I have worked support for several Pony Express rerides. They actually carry mail from Missouri to California by horseback relay once per year. The funny thing was that in the rural area that I covered, the reenactors were actual ranch people and typically wore their regular clothing, not period costume. On the other hand, we also have a few reenactors who fly in from Europe for the event and they have perfect costuming, right down to the bible, Bowie knife, and Navy Colt that were originally issued to each rider. Not much opportunity for female costuming with the Pony Express, since there are no documented female riders. If any women did ride they were cross-dressed as men.

I have a CDer friend who is very involved with the vintage scene here in SoCal. She has the most gorgeous outfits and always dresses in vintage. She's totally accepted by the GGs in the vintage scene and we've gotten together several times for vintage shows and dining.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Last edited by Taragirl427; 01-02-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceera View Post
    I still do go to Renaissance faires a lot, and I've seriously considered going to one as Ceera, and spending the day en-femme there. I have a Halloween costume type garment that I could arrive in - a 'lady in waiting' dress that's at least passable - and could most likely buy a complete women's outfit and change into it at various merchant booths at the event. Maybe I could be a tavern wench, or possibly a fine noblewoman. It would be fun for both myself and my daughter.

Once I move to Oregon, I will scope out the nearest Ren Faires, and see if any look like good ones to try that at. I also kept several of my late wife's period gowns, and some of them I could possibly alter to fit me, or could use as patterns to make fancy outfits for myself, since I do know how to sew rather well.
    I've gone to the Ren Faire several times en femme in period costume. The first two times I went alone and rented a wench costume there.

The past two years I've gone with a CD friend (and her wife) in a costume I borrowed from my friend.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Nothing on the CD side, but I have done Victorian and Regency which includes English Country Dancing (ECD) and ECD demo events.

Tara,

I don't see why you couldn't find a group that were into the experience rather than just the clothes. It just takes a little searching to find the right fit.

Down here in the South one issue that I didn't care for was that some people were still fighting the Civil War and the damn Yankee's. I just wanted to enjoy the hobby.

One feminine impression that I loved was the woman who portrayed a "Camp Follower/Prostitute". She was historically accurate and well versed in knowledge of her character. She had put an entire persona together for display to the public. Unfortunately she was hounded out of one ladies group as they didn't consider her impression Gentile and Lady Like enough! She told them to go to H@^$*& and just went solo.

Active WW2 reenactor. Ino boy mode. Though I know a TS who started an all female Soviet group.

I found reenacting and cross dressing have more in common than one thinks.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Active WW2 reenactor. Ino boy mode. Though I know a TS who started an all female Soviet group.

I found reenacting and cross dressing have more in common than one thinks.

I have done as you describe, but others have not considered it dressing on my part, more like making up the numbers.

Usually period costume.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Last edited by Taragirl427; 01-02-2016 at 07:40 AM.

The closest I've ever come to a reenactment was dressing I those costumes at the amusement park where they take the sepia pics. Never cross dressed but I have had my eye on the saloon gal and flapper dresses there. Actually now that I think about it, I think that was one of my big draws into crossdressing.

Yep. Been doing it along time. Civil war. History, guns and Horses. What more could you want.
    joank
    Southern California

It would be interesting to do, especially in the Civil War reenactments. Southern belle dresses are what drew me into cross dressing as I've always been fond of wearing them. I got most of a complete outfit now so I'm probably a couple pieces away from being able to blend in if I ever did something like that someday. Never actually been to one though.

Hi Everyone

I also do SCA and have been a lady for the last 10 years . I am known to be trans (non op) and have had no problems yet. I make Mead and wine and also fence and shoot crossbow.
    I have also done Civil War (US) as part of a heritage dance group . I was able to attend the WV Statehood Ball commemorating the 150th year of West Virginia as a State. This was in June of 2013 .
    I loved the hoops and the gown my friend and I made our dresses. it was a total blast. Sitting in hoop skirts is an art.

Hugs Annette
    "It takes more courage for a man to appear in public wearing a dress than to charge into battle"

Me July 2005

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Did a Vietnam reenactment back in the summer and had a blast.
    I was picked to be a Vietcong light machine gunner because I am shorter than the rest of the guys and I had the right weaponry and the correct outfit and web gear.
    Really had fun chasing all the fat old GI guys aroundLOLOL
    Hope to do a ren fare next year in girl mode.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 11-19-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: the rest is sill borderline, but no discsussions about weapons

I do Civil War, infantry. I've always wanted to get one of those gorgeous southern belle dresses with hat and perasol, or a really nice mourning dress. I guess it makes sense we also reenact since we like to play dress up, lol. Plus, we get to be both our rugged guy selves and our softer girly selves. Who knows, some of us may have been shooting at eachother across the battlefields or stood arm to arm in a firing line. We should have some sort of secret insignia so we know when we come across another sister.

Oh, now you can imagine where the 2nd half of my name came from ;-).

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

So, have any of you ladies underdressed in battle, or "slipped into something a little more comfortable" in your tents? I don't have the guts to underdress. Reenacting can be a dangerous hobby and I'm afraid I'll break a leg on the battlefield and paramedics will have to cut my trousers off exposing my stockings, garter, and panties to a few hundred guys with guns. Yeesh. And also, does anyone have any funny or interesting stories about anything like that while reenacting?
    Last edited by Scarlett Viktoria; 11-19-2015 at 01:44 PM.