Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do women go in dresses?

The term I have really begun to hate (as a guy) is "business casual"!!! I mean how many guys can you take in one place wearing khakis and some version of a pastel button down shirt and brown loafers. - Just Yuk! I mean it is so in between. To me I would rather be in jeans or a full suit, or sport coat and a tie, not that dreaded "business casual". Mens kahkis=yoga pants in ugly.
    While I am on my fashion soapbox what does "business casual" mean to you well dressed GGs or you higher end experienced CDs? Just wondering.

Outside of a wedding, I rarely wear ties anymore. And when I do? I never button the collar.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Too many dresses and not enough places to wear them too??!!
    Two words: DATE NIGHT!! :-)

Symphony, movies, nice dinners, church, wine tastings (bonus for fabulous hats in the spring), gallery openings, art museums. If there's a college in your town with a music department, find out when they do recitals, cause you can always get dressed up for that and the students appreciate having an audience (that isn't other students).

Hmm ...what else? Well ... you could get a parking ticket ... people still get dressed up to go to court right?
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

well I guess to answer that question with a question: in guy mode, where do you wear a suit?

Exactly. My wife and I have talked about it. We wanted to go out dressed up and dignified looking but other than overpaying for dinner, we couldn't figure out a place that we would go.

How about the symphony or the opera? My wife dresses up for church and for the symphony, and that's about it. HOWEVER, I wear dresses a lot! Much more often than my wife. In Texas women wear dresses and skirts fairly often. It's not unusual to see several women in skirts and dresses at any crowded venue. We can't all be cross Dressers!

How times have changed lol,I should say so.I remember when I was growing up women & younger girls all wore dresses just as part of everyday goings on.Today it's like was stated they all wear legging and such,I use to hate them when they first became a fashion statement but this winter I may even give them a try myself instead of just stockings or thin pantyhose.I do sometimes where tights with things but I like to have a bit of color to match with what I'm wearing(which is usually a top and skirt and I usually save my dresses for clubbing and such).
    I even wear skirts when I go to the grocery store(do I stand out?)Maybe but adleast I can say that I look better than a lot of the other women and girl around me.Im not out to draw attention to myself but I always like to look like a lady(and I see nothing wrong in that).

[QUOTE=ReineD;3841828]I mostly wear dresses or skirts at work and my workwear is simple, uncluttered, modest and comfortable. In other words, I don't try to make a fashion statement there, I just try to look professional. I don't think that the clothes I wear there would interest many people here. I wear flats or 1 inch heels and not much makeup or none at all.

This is where you would be surprised! That is the persona and style many of us crave. The thought of wearing your image to so many of us CDer's is vicariously pleasing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Silver Member
    Where do women go in dresses depends on where they live, their age, their occupation as well as their personal style.

If you want your wife to wear a dress more frequently, take her out to places she will want to get dressed up to go. Compliment her. Make her feel special when she is dressed.

Al girls are different. My wife wears pants everywhere. Not necessarily jeans, but dress pants. Then again, one of my workmates wears skirts / blouses or dresses every single time: we once did a company outing to a park, she wore jeans and looked utterly uncomfortable.

So if your wife wants to wear a dress, you two don't need any special occasion -just do it. Myself I wear dresses to the grocery store. But then again I'm no GG no matter how hard I try.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by audreyinalbany View Post
    well I guess to answer that question with a question: in guy mode, where do you wear a suit?
    The last time for me was about a month ago. I was part of a panel for discussing life experiences at a middle school. The next time will be this Thursday evening at college recruiting meet 'n' greet. Personally, I don't mind it.

I do think that clothes have an effect on personal behavior. If you look better, you behave better. I believe that a lot of the shitty behavior in adults and kids traces back to how they are dressed.

For my purposes, when I go out as DeeAnn, I dress to look good. That often has the effect of standing out, but that is a consequence and not necessarily the goal. Blending in is something I rarely think about. To me, blending in is being nonediscrept and that's just not going to happen.

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 11-11-2015 at 07:38 AM.

I feel very fortunate to live where I do, the number of women in dresses and skirts (and hosiery) seems to climb higher all the time. If not, then quite often very smart and well fitting pants, or even better, yoga pants! Have to disagree, AnnieMac, nicely fitted yoga pants on an athletic posterior look fantastic! Maybe that's the problem? Lack of firm derrières to display the yoga pants properly? On another subject you raised, my workplace is generally very casual, so they have introduced an optional bit of fun, Formal Fridays. I haven't yet participated, but am putting together some pieces, decorative waistcoat, matching tie and stockings, maybe a bow tie?
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

I just returned from a couple weeks in Western Australia, and most of the women I was around were wearing skirts or dresses. Take a trip?

But seriously (well, that was serious, too), maybe when your wife picks out her next dress say "Honey, I know you really like this dress, but since you will likely never wear it, or at least rarely, how about this - buy it in my size, and then I can wear it and you can see how nice it looks, and be really happy that you bought it." You are "out" to her, right?