Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider yourself part of the LGBT community?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    I'll just leave these here:
    In the washroom debate, too much is made of the safety angle, sexual misconduct, racism, sexism, etc. The issue is simply the discomfort of many people about sharing facilities with the opposite sex. You cannot eradicate such feelings by edict, and they have nothing to do with bigotry or ignorance. Our own insistence on such a "right" however, can at times be extremely insensitive towards others. Some women are uncomfortable with a male doctor, just as some men are uncomfortable with a woman. You cannot undo a lifetime of conditioning any more than you can overturn the need to crossdress.

Veronica

As a person who hasn't been out more than a couple blocks from home, the bathroom issue is critical. I don't think I would go out unless I felt I was passing. I think I could pass...if I got a makeover or learned how to put on make-up. Every other aspect of my body is passing, so I don't think I'd have any trouble getting to a stall without being noticed or worried about. At 61, a bathroom nearby is pretty important.

I don't really consider myself as part of the LGBT community.
    I guess by definition, I do fit, But I don't really feel connected,
    really just a guy who like to dress in pretty women's clothes.
    No gender issues here, can't really explain it myself, but no connection felt for me.

I know there are others on the forum that do feel more connected then I do.
    but this whole deal is a very wide spectrum of people.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Hmmm... Define 'community'...?

As Lena said in post #2 (soooo long ago...) - LGB as a community represents it's adherents against discrimination through sexual orientation... The 'T' for Transgender may describe all of us (thank you Jennie-cd.. ) whether you feel you are part of it or not - but it's hard to see how the community really works in crossing sexual and gender issues, OTHER THAN, the discrimination against TS or those who present habitually as the gender opposite to which they would normally be recognised. TG is an extremely broad and fragmented grouping, at best.

Personally, I do consider myself as a valid member, and feel more empathy towards those who may be discriminated against because of either sexual or gender non-conventionality. I think it's pretty hard for anyone on this board to argue that wanting to identify, dress or present as a woman, particularly when the need or desire is to do so in public, is anything but gender non-conventional - so it puts most of us in the same somewhat camp, camp...

I do think it's harder to explain or rationalise why so may of us fit the genderfluid, or flexigendered pattern versus explaining the nature of TS folk... because we don't fit the binary and pursue a very unconventional, sometimes shifting need...

I do wish all of us could grasp that T does not mean TS and that TG describes us without defining us...

To paraphrase a very appropriate quote... If we do not all hang together then we will be very apt to hang separately... (Penn or Franklin, depending on whose publicist you believe...)

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Am I L, G, B or T? No. Do I identify with the LGBT community? Yes.

How could we not identify with this community? We may not feel a direct part of it, but we should all support this community.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I consider myself part of the T community but as for the LGB that is a different story. The rest of the acronym seems to be against the T rather than with the T because they feel as if trans people are holding them back some how. So while I am part of the T community, I tend to have mixed feelings about the LGB and how they feel towards us. I guess it is so much for the united we stand divided we fall because there is a divide amongst the LGBT community with the T being as far away from the rest as possible but not by choice.

Certainly I consider myself part of the LGBT community. I'm T and L. My wife is L. Many of my friends and some of my family are one or more of L,G,B, or T.
    The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom -- Bertrand Russell

Platinum Member
    Hi Carrie, I don't identify with any group I just love dressing as a lady. ......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by josrphine View Post
    I am with Jaylyn, I would like to see as I am not a "T" added LGBTCD, T means you have become a women , am I right or wrong. JO
    No "Transgender" covers all aspects of presenting in a manner not consistent with your birth gender. Even if it mean TS your idea that you have "become" a woman would be incorrect
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I guess if you're bi (and there's lots of us here) you're technically LGBT, although I'm not an active member of the "community" I certainly empathize and support them

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    Simply, Yes. I'm B and T living in a straight role most of the time. If there was an Academy Award for playing "Life Roles" I think I'd have a shot at receiving one.

From conversations with quite a few G and L, they don't understand us any more than the rest of the population. There is a loose cohesion based on being on the fringes but, apart from that, it's all a bit wibbly wobbly.

To be honest, I don't feel like I'm part of any community, I'm just me doing my thing.

Not at all, although I do have some interest in having a safe restroom to use when driving en femme on long trips. So, a bit of advocacy on the interstates would be appreciated.

Even without the B I most certainly do!

Silver Member
    Supporting the LGBT community and feeling like one is a part of are two different things.

While the occasional hetero TV might technically fall under the "LGBT" umbrella, in the broadest definition, in practice I seldom see people use "LGBT" (outside the trans community itself) to intentionally to include folks like myself. I can't even remember the last time "mainstream LGBT" leadership has talked about non-FT non-TS heterosexual men crossdressing. Not that they should "have to" or anything, but it is hard to feel part of a group that does not acknowledge someone like myself.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 11-16-2015 at 06:09 AM.

Silver Member
    This has been an interesting discussion and apparently initiated a lot of personal thought and learning. I appreciate it and all contributions. Our diversity is a strength. I would also offer that it is OK to go "off track" with heady discussions. This was not a "What's you favorite color?" thread. Thanks to all participants.

Reality Check
    No. .

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    I hate that T is included in the acronym LGBT. I understand why they do it but I don't like it because LGB are all sexual orientation and T is gender identity. They're not the same. But they are grouped together because of the general perceptions of society.

Yes, I feel part of it because I have empathy for all of them because of my own issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieAnne View Post
    In a word, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferpl View Post
    hard to say. supportive yes.....active....not at all.
    I feel that I'm just a genderfluid crossdressing male in society. I do respect the LGBT cause and applaud their societal accomplishments but, I don't feel the need to be part of practically any group.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I just pretend everything. Don't I?
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Quote Originally Posted by FeliciaCDSNJ View Post
    So while I am part of the T community, I tend to have mixed feelings about the LGB and how they feel towards us.
    So who are these people who can speak for the LGBs? I hear stuff like that a lot and really all I can think is the old saying about one bad apple spoiling the barrel. Yes, there are individuals in any group (even ours) that will have bad things to say about the other groups but that doesn't make it the official word. There are lesbians that don't like TS people and vice versa. There are gay people who don't like CDs and vice versa. And although there is no Official Party Line, since trying to manage LGBT people makes herding cats look like a walk in the park, the political organizations like HRC and GLAAD attempt to represent everyone in the community. There are always haters -- both in mainstream society and LGBT society and we have to work against all of them.

I think that all people that are included i the LGBT have one thing in common. Lets go in detail for the obvious to find the hidden things.
    LESBIAN, everybody knows what does it mean but is related to sexuality, gender is sexuality.
    GAY is the same as Lesbian but for men. Am I wrong? I know some women call themselves gay, but the meaning is the same.
    BISEXUALS, is obviously related with sex, it's not a gender issue, it's sexuality.
    TRASGENDER, TRANSSEXUALS, is obviously related with sexuality.
    Now, I'm a crossdresser, I'm an acting and looking straight guy, but when dressed there is a feeling of feminism that pours out of my being. I feel as a woman, and for all I've read here everybody feels the same. Independently if you hace, want or not want to have sex with another man, your sexuality shifts to the female side, so all in this group have a shift in the sexual orientation.
    You want to call you gender and go in a discussion about gender and sexual orientation is up to you, but all we have a shift in our sexuality/gender orientation.
    I Don like men. I love sex with women. I'm not looking or dreaming with men when straight, so I'm not gay. But my personality strongly slides to the female side when dressed an I identify myself as a woman not being one. I'm sure a lot of guys feel the same, so we're related for similar feelings related our sexuality.

Greetings to you all. My wife died suddenly 2 years ago, and I have found that I like to be with crossdressers. I live in a very small town, been here 30 years, everyone knows me, got 2 kids and an X nearby, etc. I have been with two CD;s, and loved it. I dont consider myself gay, and dont go to gay bars, etc. At my age of 70, bars arent so hot for me anyway. It is a rather lonely life, and I have to content myself with chatting online with friends I meet on Literotica and Sissy Social. I go to NYC for my annual fall shopping/play visit this week. Is there a club for CD's in Manhattan? While quite conservative in many ways, I am adamant about personal freedom for Americans. I got drafted for the Vietnam War and attended the Gulf War; and do sincerely feel that one reason I was glad to go was to defend the right of the individual be be what he wants. After all, human dignity is our measure.

Of course!
    Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / Music is the best - FZ (Except of course for Dressing)

I do, but I knew I was bisexual (and repressed it) long before I acknowledged that I am transgender. My feminine aspect is bisexual and leaning strongly to lesbian, so I do identify a lot with the lesbian community, and hang out with a lot of lesbians.

I certainly realize that this is not the case for all of us though, and I try not to assume anyone's orientation based solely on their gender presentation.

As far as I'm concerned, we are appropriately considered part of the group, but that's just my opinion.
    My name is Carol.