Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: if you were growing up today, would it be different?

if you were growing up today, would it be different?

Many on here are older (mature) crossdressers. I wonder how many of my/our generation are actually TG but realize they will never transition because of the stage in life. So, they accept where they are in life.

But since attitudes are different now, how many CDs of my/our generation do you think would have transitioned? How many have lived and struggled with it because of society at the time was different?

I'm curious and wonder about stuff often.

Aspiring Member
    I am 72. Yesterday, today, or a hundred years from today I would not consider transitioning.

Quote Originally Posted by nvlady View Post
    I am 72. Yesterday, today, or a hundred years from today I would not consider transitioning.
    Same here!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Aspiring Member
    I'm as sure as I can be that, if today's relatively enlightened climate had been the norm when I was young, I would probably have transitioned and never looked back. I have lots of wonderful memories of the compromised life I've lived, but there's something down deep inside that will always feel cheated by having been born too soon to really be understood and find fulfillment. It's hard to explain, because there's so much to be happy about in the way some things have turned out, but I will go to my grave conflicted and frustrated to some extent. Of that I am as certain as I can be.

I have pondered the OP's question, often.

Quote Originally Posted by Acastina View Post
    I'm as sure as I can be that, if today's relatively enlightened climate had been the norm when I was young, I would probably have transitioned and never looked back. ...
    I feel the exact same way. Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Last edited by Lorileah; 11-18-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: no need to quote whole post above yours

I am 66 and I'm just a crossdresser. I like wearing women's clothes. I've been reading about "Male Lesbians" but I don't know if that applies to me either.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have no clue what I would have done or would do today as a young trans. Since I only began dressing 18 years ago. Also 72 now.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I am transgender. I am not on hormones yet but I am in the early stages of a slow, careful transition. If I were young in today's world, I would be a very pretty teenage girl. As it is, I am not going to throw away any more of my life than I absolutely have to being the man I never really was.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Banned Read only
    Lena,
    Much of what we know is in hindsight, most of our lives are compromises. I married young and just worked worked for the right reasons at the time, build a home up pay the mortgage started a business. Kids come along and time is compromised between them and keeping customers happy, all the time CDing is being dealt with in the background. The thoughts of being a CDer/ TG or TS didn't come into it, at the time I was a guy doing a weird thing sometimes. When the big reveal came twenty years ago the thoughts finally surfaced of what am I ? Why do I do this and what do I do about it, how does my family fit into all this ?
    I'm still not 100% sure of the line between TG/TS but would I change anything ? Well I might not have had two great kids and three lovely grandchildren !

I guess the older generation just got on with the job without analysing things too much ! The ifs and buts come when you have time on your hands, by then it's probably too late to change anything even if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by nvlady View Post
    Me too. Only 35 though.

It's a VERY interesting question which I've pondered on more and more at this stage in my dressing. I'll be able to answer the question more truthfully when I see how this phase of my dressing plays out - which is much deeper and better than anything I've previously experienced.

The reason that my dressing is better is largely due to the current climate and modern technology.

I certainly don't rule out the possibility of transitioning.
    Last edited by Cheryl_Layton; 11-18-2015 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Addiotional sentence

Aspiring Member
    With what I know now, yes I would have transitioned.

Banned Read only
    If I were growing up today, I'd transition as a child, no question about it, and saved myself decades of despair, depression, alcoholism and drug abuse, and suicide attempts. I've lived a life that up until two and a half years ago when I started transition, was a complete fraud, a sham, and a lie. It was empty, hollow, and completely devoid of any meaning. Successes I should've enjoyed were empty for me. Failures only reinforced how worthless I was. I hated who I was with every fiber of my being.

Women don't have it easy, but I'd take my chances on life as a woman over what I experienced pretending to be a man.

I doubt that I would ever have transitioned however I probably would have been able to have been more open to others about my CDing and as a result, the direction of my life would no doubt be different. But isn't that true whenever we choose any path in life? What would have happened if I took this job versus that one? Married this woman versus that one, etc, etc. I don't cry over spilt milk - content where I am.

When I read about today's transgendered kids, and how they and their parents are coping with this, I'm realizing how times really have changed. Looking back at the 40's and 50's when I grew up, I remember many things that should have tipped me off that I was different. If I were growing up now, I think yes, I'd want to do T blockers to stop puberty changes and start HRT as soon as I could.

But then was then and now is now, and I would have missed the wonderful 40+ years I've spent with my wife. Now my transitioning means spending as much time as I can as me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

AWESOME QUESTION!

Because of my parents (they were old enough to be my grand parents) I would say not too much.

But- If my sister was my mom, and she lorded over my 'dad', 30 years prior, here is what I might expect (still a degree of old school here):

A bit of indecision, at first, then she would go with it. Dad would actually be more supportive, initially. Lots of crossdressing at 12-14, but highly physical in sports- but mostly non-contact sports: XC skiing, cycling. Kung-fu would be a large influence, lots of support in that. Aikido too.

Sent off to cycling/skiing/kung-fu/aikido/gracie jujitsu camps. Along with piano lessons. (My sister was always more practically smarter than Mom, bless her heart). Maybe even ballet. Perhaps as a retaliatory (to my TG) effect. No matter- ballet and kung fu/taichi mesh quite well, actually.

By 14 she would be pushing me- to test out of high school early. GED at 15. Working (enfemme) at 15 to help pay for college- tearing through physics and philosophy with the latest computers... [remember this was decades ago]. Crazy support for my most outre' stunts- laden double centuries, triple centuries; two week long survival/hunting expeditions. Perhaps eve running away on a train- riding a container car out to the west coast...

But she would push the hormones- I would have to take the meds. My best friend/aunt/sister/mother... 13 years older than me... so cool and with it- so understanding. Not what she was used to- but she would trust the zeitgeist- and follow with the best aggressive advice for treatment/support.

I would have no choice... and she would watch over me. And when I finally matured at about 20 or 21- she would let me go into the world- incredibly prepared. Probably do a 4-8 year stint in the Army. Combat or Intel, or both. After- come home, try to settle down.

When the surgical transition? Your guess is as good as mine. Probably 17-18. She loved being a mother/mentor.
    Last edited by Krististeph; 11-20-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Yes. In a New York minute.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Quote Originally Posted by kittie60 View Post
    With what I know now, yes I would have transitioned.
    I was going to ask if we thought a few lives would have been saved from suicide if it had been more common. But even today, trans children are taking their own lives.

Platinum Member
    Hi Lena , I will be 73 in three weeks and have been in this program for about 69years now,

I'm very happy having the BEST of BOTH WORLDS......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Great question , I have no idea if I would have transitioned , but I think I would have given it some serious thought

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Great post. I'm right around the corner from 60 and I'll have to say that transition has been rather alluring over the years. But, in retrospect, I've had some amazing man experience in my life. Such as my career and having a child and flirting with women from a bad boy's point of view. And even now that I'm older, I might consider feminine facial surgery or maybe breast implants but, full transition would be a little extreme.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Hi, for the record I am 67 and finally about 2 years ago was diagnosed as having a variation of Kleinfelters Syndrome resistant to testosterone and have now been on Estrogen since, would it have been different for me YES!!!!!! for several reasons, one I would not have ended up disabled (severe osteoporosis) and in chronic pain, which affects not only me but my family probably worse then transition, I would not have lived with the dysphoria which we all know is rough. I am convinced of this without a doubt at least I have peace of mind that I am not mental but have a birth defect as result of prenatal exposure to DES. I'm sorry for the soapbox but there are others like me that may benefit from my experience.

I won't transition now, I missed the bus.

I would have caught that bus and paid my fare to the end of the line when I was twenty.

With all the information available today, medical practices as they are and peoples attitude towards transition, I would do it in a blink......

If I was twenty.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Reality Check
    I was born during WWII. Do the math. I would not transition if I were born today, last week, last year or last century. I understand that I am male and always will be. I like to wear women's clothes and other things to make me look like a woman, but I never wanted to be one except in a fantasy.

Aspiring Member
    I would like to think one of my older sisters might have treated me differently if we grew up in this world today, as far as transitioning probably not but I would be more at ease in my dual life.