Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First Time Wearing High Heels?

I wear heels all the time. Short ones (3.5") for all day comfort, and taller ones for partying. Many heels look nice, but either are uncomfortable, or have a weird weight thrust which leaves you off balance. My two favorite pairs of shoes are Calvin Klein Ellison wedges and Calvin Klein Louhana sandals. I suggest you buy some cheap heels at GoodWill and experiment until you find a brand and style that are comfortable and easy to walk in.
    I've had good luck buying shoes at Goodwill, Payless, Ross, and Amazon. They make high heels for men too, They call them cowboy boots.
    Basically, female shoe size = male shoe size+2.

I only wear 5 or 6" heels indoors. I find them easy to wear and guide around the house. Instantly feel fantastic when I put them on. Might be a different story out in the street!

Just bought 4" winter boots and planning to use them on my first trip out. They're so low compared with the stilettos I feel I could run a race in them.
    Michelle

Dressing for me has always been more of a fetsih issue than a passing one so my time in heels has been in 5" pumps. I have never ventured out but I have spent a fair amount of time wearing around the house with what seems like fair success. The first time was much like the first time I put on stockings. Not something I will forget nor cease to enjoy I hope. The mixture of how they look and feel is what has held my attention for many years.

The 5" heels are not terribly easy to get around in and, frankly, I'm more than a bit concerned about my, um, "mobility" when I'm on a date. Or even entertaining at home.
    We shall see.

I love heels 5 to 6 inch are my favorite, i was lucky i guess took them right away and have no issue walking in them or wearing them for extened periods of time. My Wife hates that i can wear them so easily as she struggle with 3 or 4 inch and they kill her feet, LOL

I was probably about 13 when I first tried my moms heels. I remember they were about 3 inch T strap!

First time was as a child, around 10 or 11, wearing mom's only pair. I don't remember exactly what they looked like, but that I did't like them. (She was not into heels and didn't have much of a fashion sense.) Upon puberty, my feet grew quickly to a Men's 11. So no heels for years, until I bought my first two pairs after coming out to my wife. They didn't fit too well, but enough to get by indoors. Not easy to find decent Women's 13. Of the two pairs I finally found this year from Payless online, I have a favorite -- Mary Jane heels. First 15-20 minutes are a bit wobbly and uneven. But then once I get my stride it goes pretty well.

Silver Member
    I too have to say what Karren said, having played ice hockey made high heel wearing pretty easy for me. Now maybe if when you wear heels it allowed others to check you, that would make it a bit harder. Karren, I'm sure you remember the street hockey craze, then roller hockey then rollerblade hockey, maybe we could start a league from this group, High heel hockey?? Maybe start out as no checking?
    The tough part still for me are finding ones that fit well and the sore feet from being in them ALL day (when the opportunity arises).

The first time I went out in heels it was a bit scary. Dealing with different and uneven surfaces kept me off balance, but I managed to stay upright.

Now I'm very careful to select shoes for the occasion. Pointy heels when the only walking I'm doing is from the valet to a restaurant seat. Chunkier heels if more walking or standing is involved, like a couple of blocks between restaurant and theater. Flats or low wedges if I'm walking great distances, such as at a fair. Horses for courses...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    ...Karren, I'm sure you remember the street hockey craze, then roller hockey then rollerblade hockey, maybe we could start a league from this group, High heel hockey??
    article-2078184-0F43E2C600000578-908_224x320.jpg
    Last edited by Eryn; 12-22-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by Diedre View Post
    When I first started dressing in my early teens I took to wearing 2" and up like a duck to water.

Was anyone else a natural?
    Some of us have better natural balance than others. You see this all the time when people learn how to ski or roller blade for the first time, men or women. Some of us can stand on one leg without losing balance, for longer than others.

Congratulations on being agile.

I have good balance and so walking in high heels is not difficult. But, I have weak ankles, which made it difficult to ice skate when I was little. My ankles would buckle outward like this.
    Reine

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elnkay View Post
    For me, high heeled pumps started me on this adventure. I tried on a pair of mom's black patent stilettos and loved walking or was it strutting! The 3" heels were so natural and easy..... then why not everything girly?
    I felt an electric charge when I first stood up in a pair of heels. 2.5" I think. I eventually worked my way up to a pair of 6" domina style shoes. Unlike other pieces of feminine attire, heels never stopped being highly sexually charging for me, so I only wear them in certain situations.

Aspiring Member
    I spent a lot of money ordering 4 or 5 pairs of heels on line when I first started (wearing heels). Anyway, I did what the forums and size charts said I should do - order a size larger to fit my man sized foot.

Wrong!

What I got were heels that fit comfortably, but allowed my foot to wobble inside of them. I could barely handle a 2 inch heel, but nothing higher.

Then, I went to Payless and bought a pair of 2 1/2 inch heels in a woman's size and medium width (measure your foot from the toes to your heel and that will give you your size for a woman's shoe. Most women's shoes are sold in a medium width, so how they will fit in that respect is arbitrary). They were tight at the toes, but I could walk in them quite well. What a surprise.

Then I bought a pair of 4 inch heels in a woman's size for my foot and, low and behold, I could walk in them beautifully (to be honest, those shoes had a 1/2 inch platform, so they weren't a real 4 inch heel).

So, what did I do about the tight toes? Well, I bought some shoe stretchers and stretched the toes on each pair. Now the toes fit comfortably.

Oh, and I have a pair of 3 1/2 inch heels (actual height) with an ankle strap that gives me even more support. I couldn't believe how easy it was to walk in them.

The bottom line for me was that I needed a snug fit to walk on the higher heels without a wobble. I don't know if that would apply to any of you, but the next time you have trouble walking on higher heels... check the fit. That may be part of the problem.

I and high heels always gotalong great even 4& 5 inch heels.
    Angie

You can youtube girls trying to walk in heels and stuff like that, or 1st time in heels. I am almost amazed at how bad some of them are. Or guys trying on heels. I would imagine many of them (guys) are on purpose walking so awkward as to prove how manly they are and have never worn them.... not suspecting they have. I am just saying that walking in them at 1st is awkward no doubt. But I don't see how it can be that hard to where you can barely put one foot in front of the other without falling. It was never so hard for me that I could barely stand and walk. Just awkward.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I feel so natural in heels, not only have i used them since childhood my mother has always accidentally given me tips on how to use them, when we would be at a store shed mention how she could not walk as fast cause of her heels and thaat she required shorter shorter steps, also i noticed as a child her walk looked very different when in heels, she said to wear those right, she had to do a little ''strut'' while walking. i saw her in them so much with such a memorable presence, all i did was imagine her strut and mine comes so naturally

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Age 7 for me.
    First time dressing up for Halloween.
    Came home from school in my Halloween "costume" with my sisters.
    Tried on a pair of my Mom's black pumps with my 2 younger sisters.
    Plenty of laughs as the 3 of us stumbled around.
    Obviously our feet were too small to wear them properly.
    Went out Trick-or-Treating with them wearing the flats that I had on during the school day.
    Last edited by dana digs sweaters; 01-02-2016 at 11:45 PM.

I just got a new pair 4" , I love them!

I don't go out and only wear them for two hours at a time. My toes do go numb.
    Attachment 255564
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I love your shoes ☺
    I love wearing high heels i only wear them for a short time at home could only find a size 9 and I'm a size 12 takes a lot to squeeze my feet in there only hurts after a while but still love wearing them

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Some of us have better natural balance than others. You see this all the time when people learn how to ski or roller blade for the first time, men or women. Some of us can stand on one leg without losing balance, for longer than others.

Congratulations on being agile.

I have good balance and so walking in high heels is not difficult. But, I have weak ankles, which made it difficult to ice skate when I was little. My ankles would buckle outward like this.
    Good point Reine. I never thought of that aspect. But, I too, have very good balance. Even after being "over served"

Thanks for your input.

I was around 11 when I wore my mom's 3" slingbacks, I don't remember really having issues walking in them.

I was lucky, from about 7 - 12 I had a female friend in the same street who used to let me wear her shoes when we would play together & then my mother & grandmother both did Physical Culture, so when I was young, I would spend time & my grandparents house with ballet shoes on, during the school holidays.

I am also an ice/inline hockey player, so I have good balance & find it easy walking in heels.

I ever had a problem with 2-4" heels. But the 6" heels took a but of practice to get used to them. Stairs are the biggest challenge, I find.
    Di

Aspiring Member
    Jenn, the gold heels are darling. I want them.

Now, I thought I would give my two cents worth about my first time walking in heels, plus some advice... so here you go.

My first heels were 3 1/2 inches high and I almost fell through my patio door when I first put them on.

I was getting nowhere until I realized the fit was wrong. Like many of the posts here and on other sites, I bought shoes a size bigger than my male sized shoes (I noticed someone here said you should get 2 sizes bigger - which I also had done). But the problem with that is you might get a "wobble" problem because your feet move around in the shoe if it's too big. That's a good way to break an ankle.

You need shoes that are comfortable, but at the same time are rather snug... with no "wobble." So, you first need to measure your feet. You can do this by putting down a sheet of paper and tracing around your foot and measuring what you traced... or by simply putting a tape measure on the floor and standing on it. The main measurement you want is the length of your feet... from the outermost toe front to the heel. For me, both my feet are exactly 10 inches long. Also, when you measure both feet, take the larger measurement if one foot is slightly bigger. If your feet don't come out in an even number, you will have to find shoes that come in half sizes.

Anyway, this gave me the women's shoe size I should wear... and that was size 10 - women's shoe sizes mirror the length of a woman's foot. The shoes I had bought previously were size 11 and 12 like everyone was telling me, but I ended up taking them all to the thrift store - they were worthless. Then I bought some shoes in size 10 and, incredibly, I wasn't wobbling anymore. Luckily, the average width of most women's shoes fit me after I put my shoe stretcher in them to widen the toe width a bit. If you have an especially wide foot, you need to search for the same shoe size, but in a wide width. Not too wide mind you... that can be as bad as having a shoe that is too long for your foot.

So there you go... I was finally walking quite well in all the heels I bought.

Then I found that heels with straps (Mary Janes, for instance) gave me even more support. So, last month I found some really sexy stilettos with 4 1/2 inch heels and straps and... I could walk on them the first try.

Ladies, I don't know if any of this will work for you, but you might consider what I've written.

Again, snug fit and straps (if you like that particular style). Then...

Practice, practice, practice.

In fact, I once asked a drag queen in 6 inch stilettos how she could walk in them and she replied:
    "Honey, whenever I get new shoes, I put them on in the morning and vacuum my apartment in them. Then I do the laundry, wash the dishes, watch TV and even have sex in them. In other words, I spend the whole day in them and when all is said and done... I never have a problem walking in them after that."
    Last edited by Sandie70; 01-12-2016 at 04:20 PM.

i took heels like a rubberduck to water never had a problem
    Attachment 256115
    Flickr- https://www.flickr.com/photos/brandiedaniels/

Can I just say I'm jealous of all of you?! I'm a gg and I can do.. um... 1" heels... I'm uncoordinated in sneakers, add that to having wide feet and being overweight? UGH, kill me. Heels are SO UNCOMFORTABLE!! It takes forever to find ones that even fit my wide feet, and then the larger the heel, the more uncomfortable they are to wear... I'll do a 1" heel for a wedding, other than that, I'm in sneakers... props to ALL of you! I'd be in the hospital with a broken neck! But yeah, ankle strength has a lot to do with it I'm sure!!