Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: did anyone even bother CDing in the 80's 😲

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned Read only

did anyone even bother CDing in the 80's 😲

I've been watching a lot of 80's videos lately and am I wrong or did EVERYONE look like a chic!? I'm not TG/CD...I'm a freaking 80's Rock Star !?

https://youtu.be/Hphwfq1wLJs

Now where did I put my keys to the time machine? 😳

Dustin Hoffman did...
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

LOL Where I lived nobody dressed like Rod Stewart in that video.

In 1977, on the way home from school, a girl asked me if I was a boy or a girl. Yep, trendsetter, that's me!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    No. In the late 90's. In my 50's!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaYVR View Post
    In 1977, on the way home from school, a girl asked me if I was a boy or a girl. Yep, trendsetter, that's me!
    That happened to me a few times as well Ah the days I could get away with no make up...
    "Slipping into stockings, stepping into shoes"
    The shortness of life prevents us from entertaining far-off hopes. From Horace’s Odes, Book 1,4

70's you mean? check out "Mud" and "Sweet" - both bands have a crossdresser in the line up. xx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

The early 80s is when I finally came out of the crossdressing closet. 70s glam rock and crossdressing had much overlap and definitely influenced my style at the time.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 11-26-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Especially in the 80's. I was in my CD prime then.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

no clue what you're talkin bout???? looks normal to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tI1_KlO6xI
    paula

Tom Hanks, Peter Scollari, and Me. Looks like I was in good crossdressing company.
    Last edited by Heidi Stevens; 11-26-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

This is when I first became serious about dressing. I purchased my very first long black full lace dress then. It was absolutely beautiful. Maybe the prettiest dress I've ever owned. With matching shawls in silver, gold and white. I wish I still had it. It went in my first purge. Along w/ some exquisite lingerie. And some other beautiful dresses and gowns. And hose and shoes. And make up.

I'm depressing myself thinking about it...oh my.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving,

Kate

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    Ahhh...shoulder pads and stirrup pants...I miss the 80's! lol
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Deb great one! I think we have come a little from there
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Stevens View Post
    Tom Hanks, Peter Scollari, and Me. Looks like I was in good crossdressing company.
    Me too! My parents were out of town for a few days and I (high school student) used my time wisely: purchased some heels, applied some makeup, borrowed some of my sister's clothing wore a scarf on my head and went to a 7-11 type convenient store at night. Browsed the magazine rack, Cosmo and some other women's magazines and then high-tailed it home. Still can't believe I did it. I still remember it like it was yesterday (over 30 thirty years ago). The scariest part was after I came home and parked the car, a car pulled into my driveway. I froze, thinking that my parents or sisters had returned early. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Nope, just someone using my driveway to turn around. Thank God!
    "It is so easy to exist, instead of live. Unless you know there is a clock ticking."
    --Anna Quindlen, writer, journalist, columnist

OK! How about the late 1940's and 50's! Christene Jorgensen roamed the world then.

The 80's were just another decade, with different style clothing that I wore.
    Since I began in the 50's, rocked my long locks in the 60's and 70's, discoed through the 80's and made it through the 90's, the turn of the century and now the 2010's they all seem like just another change of clothes.
    Now I no longer worry about be "fashionable", I just wear MY clothes....bring on the 2020's.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    The 80's is when it all started for me, took me 25 years to refine my dressing and another 5 to figure out that I am a transgender person.
    Erica

My divorce took place in 1986, and the ex split with the clothes on her back...literally...

I was left with a WEALTH of clothing, including all of her sexy stuff, and she had tons. As she was a size 10-12, I could have worn most of it. However, my next-door neighbor was a horny creature who had eyes for me (I never acted upon it because she was married...longer story here), and she immediately suggested I have a yard sale and get rid of everything in order to pay the bills of being a (now) single parent. I sold damned near everything, but kept a couple blouses and a couple bras. Can you believe they STILL smell like her? I wish I'd kept a few more things, but I've more than made up for it with way too many purchases. I have no intention of ever purging, but I might have to sell down in order to empty out the two rooms stacked to the ceiling with clothes.

I had hair modeled after the "BeeGee's". Way past my ears and down on my shoulders. Blow dryer every time I'm out of the shower. I didn't stand out because everyone was doing the same thing.

I could blow my hair out and look pretty with my own hair. Wish I had that hair today.
    Live and let dress.

Thanks, Robin. I tried. I love music, especially the music I grew up with, and older music that I was introduced to by my older friends and family. But, I do enjoy the opportunity to talk about it almost as much as I do listening to it.

Thanks Robin, for opening this thread. It brought me back to another time and another culture that I might have enjoyed, if things had been different.

Some folks say that the Eighties killed Glam Rock. Instead, I think that it simply lost its shock value. The Glam Metal bands of that era just seemed to melt away. By the late eighties, androgyny in music had simply lost its chic.

Anyway, the stage had been set for the crossdressing Hair Bands of the Eighties a decade earlier. Their roots in the outlandish evolved from the avant-garde, bisexual chic of the Seventies and the birth of the Glam Rock bands.

Let’s not forget that Elvis donned his first, white jumpsuit in 1969.

In the early Seventies, though, most of the American Rock scene was still powered by the Rock legends of the Woodstock era. Their understated dress, and their nothing-fancy, Hippie personas might have begun to wear a little thin. Their music was more art than Pop, leaving the stage set for a new era in popular culture. That’s when a few British and American Glitter bands jumped in and changed the landscape of Rock music for the next two decades.

British Rocker Marc Bolan of T-Rex had taken to glitter and boas soon after David Bowie had introduced his Ziggy Stardust persona in '71, I believe. Almost immediately, groups like Mott the Hoople, Mud, Roxy Music, and The Sweet were racing to the top of the charts. Even American Rocker Suzie Quatro had become more famous in Europe than back home in the US.

Meanwhile, in America, Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground, The New York Dolls, Iggy Pop and White Witch were adding a more edgy feel, introducing Glam Rock into the Heavy Metal, Proto-Punk and Psychedelic genres. Hard Rocker, Alice Cooper, even adopted Marc Bolan’s boa – Except Alice’s was alive!

Glam had become a full-fledged member of the Seventies Pop Scene. Even the Rolling Stones dipped a toe into the world of Glam while changing little more than their haircuts. However, the Disco-like stylings of the Some Girls album probably helped. Other super groups of the Seventies that adopted the over-the-top, Glam look were Kiss, Elton John, Queen, Abba and the Bay City Rollers. These were varied and diverse musical styles, all sharing the larger-than-life, flamboyant makeup and clothing styles of the Glam Rock period.

By the 1980’s, Glam’s androgynous look and extravagant performances had become so infused in the Pop culture that androgyny was no longer Chic – And, it would soon become passe’.

Personally, I never took to this sub-culture. I was still stuck in the Blues and Classical based Rock styles begun in the Sixties. By the Seventies, I did follow some of the Super Groups, but my heart did and still does lie with the blue jeans, T-shirts and wailing guitars of the Album Rock era. But, to be honest, circumstances left me few choices.

As a little kid in the early sixties, I learned that anything associated with an alternative gender identity could get someone into serious trouble. The notion that a man was a man was beaten into me. Little boys didn’t do those kinds of things. So, from that point on, I was bound and determined not to give in. If that meant ignoring the possibility of dressing up and having fun, that was okay. I had to be a man, and real men didn’t do those things.

Fifty years of continuous practice, and look where that got me!

Oh, by the way, that line, “some folks say” is my favorite line from Fox News. That’s the line they use when they want to introduce something into a discussion that has nothing to do with verifiable fact or evidence. They just pull it out of their collective ***es. So, no, I never really heard anyone say that the ‘80’s killed Glam Rock. I just thought it sounded like a good hook. So, please, forgive my lapse in journalistic ethics – If you can.
    Last edited by Jaylah414; 11-28-2015 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Couldn't help not adding that last paragraph...

Yes leotards and hose for workouts.

70's 80's 90's and to present day .There was a lot of stuff women were wearing that has influenced my dressing though all those years and really im thankful for changing fashions it keeps it interesting
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian Best View Post
    OK! How about the late 1940's and 50's! Christene Jorgensen roamed the world then.
    Yes, how about that? I was born in the 40s so my formative years were in the 40s & 50s. I still adore the fashions from those years - like the 'New Look'. In fact, with the latest revival of that period, I still, wear them and will be going to a Christmas party at our local CD/TV Lynx Ladies in a couple of weeks in my new black Audrey Hepburn look-alike, complete with full skirt and petticoat.
    The 80s was a great decade not just for fashions but music too and the memories of it all are great too. It felt as though everything was beginning to free up. The nineties felt like the opposite - all downbeat and miserable.