Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: did anyone even bother CDing in the 80's 😲

Aspiring Member
    I started mine in the mid seventies.. that's when I started getting my own clothes but I guess I really started on three sixties (

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    That was actually 78 that Rod Stewart came out ( music nerd alert) LOL.......Now I know why this song always used to make me tingle when I would hear my mom play it on her record player when I was supposed to be in bed sleeping but secretly dancing under the covers. Donna Summer was a big one too....gee.....thanks MOM this is all your fault xoxo

Remember that what you see in the entertainment world is mostly fiction. Even KISS took off their make up once they were out of the public eye.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

spent the first half of the 80's totally on the other side. Spent the next 1/4 of it back and forth, spent the last part of it back in drab...

Silver Member
    Well I started in the 50s. In the 80s I started wearing blouses openly. As well as women's sweaters. The western craze helped with the blouses and the shoulder pads helped with the more fem styles.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Remember that what you see in the entertainment world is mostly fiction. Even KISS took off their make up once they were out of the public eye.

Banned Read only
    OMG, that was sooo offensive and like totally rude 'n s***t! 😢

That was soooo freaking funny!!! 😂😂😂 I love Seth McFarlane!

no clue what you're talkin bout???? looks normal to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tI1_KlO6xI
    paula

I did. Was my first time living away from home, was spring/summer of 1980.
    Remember buying my first dress from a store in Queens, NY.
    As I remember, this was a teens store that carried sizes up to 11.
    And a size 11 fit! Been a real long time since that was the case
    Funniest part was, it wasn't till after I left New York that I found the paper that had ads in the back for stores that catered to TS/CD.
    Probably a good thing, would have spent my whole paycheck.

Deb great one! I think we have come a little from there
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Thanks Robin, for opening this thread. It brought me back to another time and another culture that I might have enjoyed, if things had been different.

Some folks say that the Eighties killed Glam Rock. Instead, I think that it simply lost its shock value. The Glam Metal bands of that era just seemed to melt away. By the late eighties, androgyny in music had simply lost its chic.

Anyway, the stage had been set for the crossdressing Hair Bands of the Eighties a decade earlier. Their roots in the outlandish evolved from the avant-garde, bisexual chic of the Seventies and the birth of the Glam Rock bands.

Let’s not forget that Elvis donned his first, white jumpsuit in 1969.

In the early Seventies, though, most of the American Rock scene was still powered by the Rock legends of the Woodstock era. Their understated dress, and their nothing-fancy, Hippie personas might have begun to wear a little thin. Their music was more art than Pop, leaving the stage set for a new era in popular culture. That’s when a few British and American Glitter bands jumped in and changed the landscape of Rock music for the next two decades.

British Rocker Marc Bolan of T-Rex had taken to glitter and boas soon after David Bowie had introduced his Ziggy Stardust persona in '71, I believe. Almost immediately, groups like Mott the Hoople, Mud, Roxy Music, and The Sweet were racing to the top of the charts. Even American Rocker Suzie Quatro had become more famous in Europe than back home in the US.

Meanwhile, in America, Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground, The New York Dolls, Iggy Pop and White Witch were adding a more edgy feel, introducing Glam Rock into the Heavy Metal, Proto-Punk and Psychedelic genres. Hard Rocker, Alice Cooper, even adopted Marc Bolan’s boa – Except Alice’s was alive!

Glam had become a full-fledged member of the Seventies Pop Scene. Even the Rolling Stones dipped a toe into the world of Glam while changing little more than their haircuts. However, the Disco-like stylings of the Some Girls album probably helped. Other super groups of the Seventies that adopted the over-the-top, Glam look were Kiss, Elton John, Queen, Abba and the Bay City Rollers. These were varied and diverse musical styles, all sharing the larger-than-life, flamboyant makeup and clothing styles of the Glam Rock period.

By the 1980’s, Glam’s androgynous look and extravagant performances had become so infused in the Pop culture that androgyny was no longer Chic – And, it would soon become passe’.

Personally, I never took to this sub-culture. I was still stuck in the Blues and Classical based Rock styles begun in the Sixties. By the Seventies, I did follow some of the Super Groups, but my heart did and still does lie with the blue jeans, T-shirts and wailing guitars of the Album Rock era. But, to be honest, circumstances left me few choices.

As a little kid in the early sixties, I learned that anything associated with an alternative gender identity could get someone into serious trouble. The notion that a man was a man was beaten into me. Little boys didn’t do those kinds of things. So, from that point on, I was bound and determined not to give in. If that meant ignoring the possibility of dressing up and having fun, that was okay. I had to be a man, and real men didn’t do those things.

Fifty years of continuous practice, and look where that got me!

Oh, by the way, that line, “some folks say” is my favorite line from Fox News. That’s the line they use when they want to introduce something into a discussion that has nothing to do with verifiable fact or evidence. They just pull it out of their collective ***es. So, no, I never really heard anyone say that the ‘80’s killed Glam Rock. I just thought it sounded like a good hook. So, please, forgive my lapse in journalistic ethics – If you can.
    Last edited by Jaylah414; 11-28-2015 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Couldn't help not adding that last paragraph...

Banned Read only
    Wow, great analysis of the rock scene Jaylah, good points ☺

Thanks, Robin. I tried. I love music, especially the music I grew up with, and older music that I was introduced to by my older friends and family. But, I do enjoy the opportunity to talk about it almost as much as I do listening to it.

Banned Read only
    I hear ya, ahh the formitive years! Never understood why my parents liked Lawrence Welk...I get it now LOL 😉

Okay... That made me laugh. Maybe I was lucky. My parents listened to Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Sarah Vaughn and Charlie Parker. So, I reckon, they thought Lawrence Welk was pretty lame, too.

The 80's were my favorite decade for women's fashion for several reasons, most of all because this was women wore pantyhose quite often and with most everything. Being a pantyhose fetishist, I was in heaven.

However, this was also my single days, and I dated a lot, and got my fill of legs and nylons so I rarely dressed. Also, this was still back in the pre-internet days, and at that time I still had no idea there was anybody else who shared my interests. I was a straight man wanting to wear women's clothing, and I had no idea I wasn't alone. That fact had me questioning myself all the time as to what is wrong with me. That guilt tore me up, as even though I was getting plenty of satisfaction from females, I still couldn't shake the urge to want to dress up like them.

Thankfully the 2000's came along and I discovered there were many, many other men who were in the same boat as I was. In retrospect, had I known about CDing as I know today, I would have taken a LOT more advantage of the opportunities of those days!
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

Oh gosh! Yes , Big hair, shoulder pads and pantyhose were worn all the time!!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member
    Hi Robin, I've been in this program for almost 69yrs., Yes I passed through the 80s'
    and I may still have something from that era in the back of the closets
    I'm sure that I got rid of those awful looking shoes.~~~~~~~~~~~......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Stevens View Post
    Tom Hanks, Peter Scollari, and Me. Looks like I was in good crossdressing company.
    Me too! My parents were out of town for a few days and I (high school student) used my time wisely: purchased some heels, applied some makeup, borrowed some of my sister's clothing wore a scarf on my head and went to a 7-11 type convenient store at night. Browsed the magazine rack, Cosmo and some other women's magazines and then high-tailed it home. Still can't believe I did it. I still remember it like it was yesterday (over 30 thirty years ago). The scariest part was after I came home and parked the car, a car pulled into my driveway. I froze, thinking that my parents or sisters had returned early. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Nope, just someone using my driveway to turn around. Thank God!
    "It is so easy to exist, instead of live. Unless you know there is a clock ticking."
    --Anna Quindlen, writer, journalist, columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian Best View Post
    OK! How about the late 1940's and 50's! Christene Jorgensen roamed the world then.
    Yes, how about that? I was born in the 40s so my formative years were in the 40s & 50s. I still adore the fashions from those years - like the 'New Look'. In fact, with the latest revival of that period, I still, wear them and will be going to a Christmas party at our local CD/TV Lynx Ladies in a couple of weeks in my new black Audrey Hepburn look-alike, complete with full skirt and petticoat.
    The 80s was a great decade not just for fashions but music too and the memories of it all are great too. It felt as though everything was beginning to free up. The nineties felt like the opposite - all downbeat and miserable.

Jaylah, tell me you were not the least bit effected by a young Stevie Nicks suddenly appearing on the scene dripping (beautifully) in black chiffon and lace?

What memories...

Kate

what about the 70;s only change as time change love being in thongs now

I did, panties everyday 86 to 88, bra and or camisole during winter months as well. Got my first job in 86 and made good use of Wal-Marts layaway. By the time I graduated in 88 I had 20 bras and over 200 pairs of panties, a bikini, a one piece swimsuit, 10 or 12 camisoles, a dress, 3 or 4 skirts and 5 or 6 blouses. Ladies at Wal-Mart were very friendly and helpful, helped me find the right sizes in everything.
    Went from Wally world to McRaes and Parisi an and started getting nicer clothes.
    It's fun and always has been.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    I'm sure that I got rid of those awful looking shoes.~~~~~~~~~~~......
    I don't know Orchid, I'll bet you still have a pair or two! 😉