Thread: Has anybody read The Danish Girl?

Has anybody read The Danish Girl?

I just finished reading The Danish Girl and was wondering if anybody else has read it.

I do like to read historical fiction but have never come across a book with a transgender character as in-depth as this one. I did read Middlesex and found that interesting as well.

Through my late teens and early 20's during my college experience I spent quite a bit of time researching exactly who or what I was with these feelings of wanting to dress and be like a woman. I don't recall coming across this event.

Anyway just thought I ask if anybody has read it and had any comments.

i havent heard of it, ill keep an eye out for it. yoive peaked my interest

Haven't read the book but seeing the movie the first chance that I get when it comes out.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

I read it and enjoyed it and hope the new movie version reaches a wide and accepting audience. That said, the book made Elbe seem completely passable, which not really realistic for most of us under the TG umbrella. Elbe was pioneer none-the-less.

I grew up in Denmark.
    When I started trying to figure out what was going on with me and why I had these strange needs and desires for dressing like a girl, I sought out any information I could find. Of course, back then there was no such thing as the Interweb. In fact, pocket calculators were not even around yet!! (hmmm .. thats a scary thought, I might be dating myself a little too much here). So, I went to the big-town library to see what I could find.
    Being 50 shades of paranoid, I had to find ways to casually pass by the section of the library where the few books about sexuality etc were kept, couldnt just hang out and browse, so that made it even more difficult.

Anyway, the only book I remember finding, which had anything to do with gender, was a book about Lily Elbe. As I remember, it was a biography type book. I was much too scared to check it out and bring it home, so I could only read passages now and then, and I dont really recall much of anything from the book.

It made things a bit confusing because with only this one source of information, I could not figure out what I was! For years I feared the time when I would realize that I had to transition, like Lily Elbe did. The other person I found some information about was Christine Jorgensen. That didn't help.

Steffi: I do like to read historical fiction but have never come across a book with a transgender character as in-depth as this one.
    The story is real, she was a real person, not fictional, but I think thats what you meant, right? I guess there is a book now, which is probably what the new movie is based on, but I have not seen the book. Is the book more of a novel based on the real story?

Taylor: That said, the book made Elbe seem completely passable, which not really realistic for most of us under the TG umbrella.
    It is interesting, and I have often thought about this. Do you think there was a time when this was just so unthinkable that people just took it for fact that if someone looked/dressed like the opposite gender, they just had to be that gender? People didnt even question it?
    Have we gone through a time where T'ism was actually more "accepted", simply because nobody could imagine anyone doing this?
    And are we now in a time where people are aware enough that there are people like us, and being aware makes them feel forced to have an opinion about it, which then unfortunately tend to be either 100% accepting or 100% non-accepting?

- Suzie

The novel that the movie is based on is considered a fictional account.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Now I have two books to look up.

They sound interesting.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I haven't read that one yet and will look for it. I did read the Christine Jorgensen [sp.?] book about the first US MtF to have GRS so many years ago. She was quite famous in her time and became a well known performer too in respectable venues.

The Danish Girl is on Amazon and Kindle and the trailor on YouTube. Simples. xx

I saw the trailers for the movie, then got the book from the library and read it. It is a fictional account based on a true story. I enjoyed the book and couldn't wait for the movie to come out. The movie opened this past weekend. I live in the Chicagoland area and searched the listings to see where it was playing. I was so disappointed to find that the closest theater showing the movie was in....New York City. Chicago has a large transgender community. Don't we rate?

The movie is limited release this weekend. I think a wider release starts next Friday.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I too read the book and enjoyed it, even if some of it was sad and painful to read. As previously stated, it is a novel based on a true story.

thinking about going to see it dressed..is that crazy?

I have also read the book with fascination. I did so out of curiosity and by the time I reached the end my heart was filled with sadness for Elbe and what trials she had to go through.
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleContura View Post
    thinking about going to see it dressed..is that crazy?
    Sounds like a good idea to me.