Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Trisha,
    Just go for it, I asked for a colour check on my skin in Boots, the beautician sat me down and said she would just put a couple small tester patches on my skin and ended up doing the whole of the left side of my face, yes I did get some funny looks from customers !
    I did exactly the same in Boots to a bemused SA. I was in drab and quite embarrassed at the time so needless to say the match came back 'pink'.

Trisha, I purchase most of my makeup at Ulta for me! And the SAs are very helpful. As all us girls know, getting the right color of foundation is tough. Nikki
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Banned Read only
    AnnaMarie,
    I was in drab the only day I had spare was Sunday morning, I thought it would be too busy, but I still asked the floor manager and she took me to a booth to wait for a beautician . She checked my colour as wheat in No7 so she applied some samples and then did half my face and then applied powder to show me how it looked. After the clean down she acted like my personal shopper and went round the lipstick and mascara choices. it was the best Sunday morning I'd had in a while and she thanked me for relieving a normal boring Sunday.
    I was nervous but won't hesitate again to get my makeup checked.

i was in male mode at the thrift shop yesterday looking for a pair of ladies leather shorts a man came up to me held up a pink denim skirt and asked if it would look ok on him i told him it would look lovely but go try it on in the change room off he went a near by SA said to me she tried to help him but he got all embarrassed and walked away latter saw him at the check out buying the skirt .

Banned Read only
    Sometimes all that is needed is a gentle nudge...

DeeAnn

I am new to CD'ing and do most of my shopping at thrift stores. Do most of you shop in men's clothing or go out dressed? I want to get a bra but I have been so nervous to go to VS. I think I might have the courage now reading the good comments here about VS.

When I go buy make up, if it is at a place like MAC or Clinique, if I am in boy mode, I show them a femm pic of me and tell them I am TG/CD and they are super cool. I have also gone in girl mode as well and had them help me with make up too

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Hi Alicia,
    I have been in you heels (shoes) before and don't worry about it girl! Just go to VS, tell them you are TG/CD and ask if they can help you with a proper fitting... be sure to let them know if you want space for fake boobs too... depending on where you are from, they have probably seen it all... also don't get upset if they ask another woman to fit you and getting a bra that fits well is very important

There is quite a variance regarding comfort in shopping on this site. I am in the camp that believes VS is the Mount Everest of shopping in Fem. I am comfortable going into most department stores (i.e. Penney's, Macy's, Bergner's, Sear's, etc) and perusing the women's department in Fem attire. I have even used fitting rooms and bought items from these stores in my Fem wear. But I cannot get up the courage to even walk into a VS in Fem attire. The SAs immediately come up to you and ask to help. I am not to the point yet that I am comfortable with that. So I NEVER venture into VS when in Fem mode. Now that being said, I have shopped in VS in male mode many times. Each time I was really (No really, I mean it) shopping for some items for my SO on her B-Day or V-Day. When shopping in guy mode for my SO I have never had any reservations about shopping at VS or any other women's store for that matter. I am just never embarrassed about it. A guy buying lingerie for his SO is perfectly normal. I have even asked VS sales agents for help on these occasions.

The more we admit what we buy is for us, the more SAs and sales people will know
    that there are many of us.. besides it is so much easier to say "its for me"
    as long as you aren't in your own neighborhood.

Banned Read only
    A R:

I frequent a SAVERS thrift store in Rochester. I'll be up that way early next week. What I wear when I go is largely a matter of convenience. Usually I go in male mode as it is one of 2 or 3 stops for the afternoon. For next week, my primary reason is going to have some work done on my car. They know Don. They do not know DeeAnn and there is no reason for them to know. On the other hand, I have gone early to the monthly GNO there and stopped at SAVERS while dressed.

The only difference is what I try on. With a wig and makeup, I do anything that goes on over the head. Makeup is the obvious reason, but if I knock the wig out of place, I cannot straighten it up. My wife helps me at home as I don't have sufficient elbow and shoulder flexibility.

DeeAnn

Mail order is slow but wait is worth it.

Silver Member
    Once you get accustomed to "owning it" in a dress or lingerie shop, it gets waaaaaaay better. As many have stated, SAs don't judge. Not only that, they have a lot of very valuable knowledge about their products and a practiced eye, assets everyone should take advantage of. Use the fitting rooms and ask for their opinions. SAs are just as happy helping you as they are helping any female customer and, just like them, you greatly improve your chances of coming out with something you love AND looks right on you.

I don't believe going into a store and saying "It's for me" constitutes stirring things up. Yes, you get noticed, and definitely remembered by sales staff, but you're just being a customer, not putting on a drag show.

In my experience, seasoned SAs, like good wait-persons and makeup counter girls, know that a crossdressing man who is treated nicely is the easiest sale of all. We are so grateful that we'll probably buy whatever they show us.

Aspiring Member
    Suddenly I got very brave and if asked or if someone ask me if I needed assistance my favourite lines are " I am looking for some thing for myself and if you can kindly assist me please" and I am impressed that the ladies in the stores are extremely helpful. I would have been embarassed and afraid several years ago, Today I am a purchasing Customer that's what the Sales Ladies see and for sure I have Money to buy their Merchandise.
    Live Today as if it is your last day

I get a thrill from shopping and interacting with the sales women. I really try hard to describe what I'm looking for so they can help me find something nice. The interaction is a big turn on for me.

You girls are inspiring me a bit and making me a bit jealous I don't know I have the courage to even buy anyong in guy mode let alone dress up first. Im single but the clerks dont have to know that .

Silver Member
    I was in a Ross store one day going through the bras looking for a special one that I had found one of at another Ross. My size was on the bottom row and I was bent down engrossed in finding it (Ross always has their bras messed up). Being bent over I'm sure the bra I had on showed through my white top. A woman walked up behind me and said, Do you wear them every day? Without thinking I said yes. Then stood up, she backed away as I asked if it bothered her. She said, No I'm cool with it and backed away. I watched her as she walked around the store and think she was a loss prevention person.

I envy you so much girls, i couldn't be able to go to a store and buy make up or something else on male mode. Any tips, for feeling less shy while buying stuff? Should i say it's for a present?

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    I often buy ladies clothes now in stores without worrying about it.

But just a couple days ago, I had an uncomfortable experience. Went into a Kohl's looking for sale items and an opportunity to use a discount coupon. Almost immediately a store person, whom I concluded was on "theft watch". asked if I needed assistance and then kept an eagle eye on me for awhile after that.

WTF, even though in guy garb, I was not wearing a hoodie or wearing my jeans half way down my butt!!

Oh well, I just passed up browsing all those gorgeous dresses this time. Their loss.

Did find closeout athletic/walking shoes in just my size. Now have no excuse to get in some weight loss exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Milly1410 View Post
    I envy you so much girls, i couldn't be able to go to a store and buy make up or something else on male mode. Any tips, for feeling less shy while buying stuff? Should i say it's for a present?
    Hi Milly, you don't say where your from. In all stores you can go in and buy what you want if you feel more comfortable saying its a present that's cool, if you want to get a colour match however for foundation or discuss general makeup then better to say it's for you. I had the same reservations but just decided to reveal it was for me and there was no issue at all and apparently they get a lot a men asking, for the SA no big deal x
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia Rae View Post
    I want to get a bra but I have been so nervous to go to VS. I think I might have the courage now reading the good comments here about VS.
    I can also vouch for the helpfulness of the staff at VS. Last time I went (dressed in male works clothes), when the SA came up to me. I said I was looking for a bra and asked for a fitting. She didn't even skip a beat. Walked me back to the dressing room, measured me, and brought a few styles for me to try. I was very impressed.

I've never been asked if I need help when shopping at other stores for CD clothes, but after my experiences at VS if/when it happens I'd like to think I would admit it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Trisha,
    Just go for it, I asked for a colour check on my skin in Boots, the beautician sat me down and said she would just put a couple small tester patches on my skin and ended up doing the whole of the left side of my face, yes I did get some funny looks from customers !
    Hi Teresa, I've had exactly the same experience at boots, the SA or I should say SAs, I had 3 at 1 point, were brilliant and very helpful. Only 1 customer, GG, looked over and kept wandering around the same display so they could look over again and again they weren't smirking or anything just seemed interested, was a very nice experience x
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Notwithstanding the temporary angst of shopping for oneself, the facts are immutable. Within seconds after completing the transaction, you are out of the SA's life forever. You are not doing anything illegal, immoral or unethical. It is a simple, straight forward commercial transaction where your money is just as good as the next person's. Life is too short to allow oneself to be intimidated by a hostile, nosy or officious salesperson or cashier. My silent mantra to myself is "Why would I care what you think??"

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    This is yet again why this forum is just fantastic. I wish I had been reading a thread like this before the first time I went shopping.

My wife and I were together to buy Tina some heels. We were in Payless (me in drab) and having found the size for Tina, my wife said she was going to look for herself while I looked for Tina and tried some on saying as she left, "get what looks good as she needs to start somewhere". So, without thinking I'm just trying on size 11 and 12 heels, when from behind me I hear, "are those for you?". I turned and it was an SA. Well, of course I panicked for a second. I had just not thought about it and had no idea what to say. She finally just said that a second pair would be half off and to ask if I needed any help.

It was a great lesson in "being prepared" but also in just owning what you are doing.

Another time a young man asked me if I was buying shoes for me (again trying them on) and he was delighted when I said yes because this was his first time and really needed help.

The worst I've ever had is a monitor of a male changing room ask me if I knew that the jeans I was brining into the room to try on were for women. I just looked her in the eye, smiled, and answered in the affirmative. I could see she was not pleased, but for the life of me I can't see what business is was of hers. I did buy one of the pairs I tried on .

I must admit I've gotten to the point where I have started to enjoy shopping for Tina, and am eager for the comments. They can be just so much fun!

Alicia, if you are uncertain about real shopping, there is an easy decision - online shopping, there are plenty of conversion charts, guides, explanations in addition, you know. Of course it's not the same. The feeling of touching of all you want, all you need can not be replaced with any. If you have a chance to meet a friendly SA the satisfaction jump to the roof