Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forced crossdressing of a child---is it abuse?

Forced crossdressing of a child---is it abuse?

Is forcing a boy child to dress as a girl child abuse?

In this situation, it was not punishment as far as I know. It was a mother and two sisters having a laugh on the only boy child in the family.

A picture was taken. (This was decades before the internet.) This picture was around the house all my childhood. Ready to be pulled out at a moment's notice.

Throughout childhood my sisters teased me and always had this hanging over my head as a threat---that they'd tell my friends and their friends about it if I didn't do whatever they wanted. Or maybe they would just say that to terrorize me and see my reaction of horror. It led to years of enormous anxiety. And fear. Fear that it would happen again, that they'd do it to me in my sleep, that everyone would know.

The die was cast and whatever the mechanism is, the fear and anxiety turned into a teen and compulsive (and closeted) crossdresser. And all the related behavior of sneaking clothing, etc. etc. And should humorous cd-ing appear on TV or movies, or Halloween or an innocent children's party---I was mortified, beyond mortified. I could not react normally. I probably felt that everyone around me KNEW by my behavior that I was a crossdresser.

I married young, a bad marriage, I was head-strong and crossdressed as I wished though she was without doubt opposed to it. There's no telling who she told while we were married---friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers---and most certainly in our divorce (our kids were teens by then) and no doubt it was used as a weapon by the wife in the divorce, as if accusing me of cd-ing would be tantamount to accusing me of being a murderer. The wife cheated, seeking a "real man" and everything she did---stole, lied, committed felonies, broke laws, financially cleaned me out, the kids' college funds, fraudulent loans, maxed out every credit card---whatever she did before, during and after the divorce was JUSTIFIED in her eyes and those of the ones I knew who'd been told. Those horrible crimes were justified due to CD-ing---the ONLY thing in the world that could justify that behavior. It was simply a scarlet letter WORSE THAN IF I'D BEEN ACCUSED OF CHILD ABUSE! Far worse. It was viewed by all who knew as the most justifiable cause of divorce; really serious larceny, as well as three threats and/or attempts on my life---who could not fully understand THAT considering your husband was a cross-dresser?

But I was free from that horrible marriage. Met a woman I adored. Incredibly as close to perfect as I could ever have a shot at. We never married, were together for 5 tumultuous years---tumultuous because of my crossdressing. Same story we hear often in forum discussions: sometimes she'd be ok with it, even encouraging. Other times she was beyond cruel and equated it to, well, the worst things a human being could be imagined to do.

It led to our breaking up. There's two sides to every story, and I understand hers. I on the other hand was persistent that I was going to do it. I always wanted love and romance, and I had it with her, I really did. But in her mind the issue had to be resolved (i.e. ended) before we could move forward to marriage. Basically she gave me a choice and I chose crossdressing. This led, again, to this woman ALSO using my CDing like a public shaming, she thrilled in revealing it to everyone I knew or we knew, in her mind fully believing (mostly correctly) that the reaction to it---that we broke up over crossdressing and that I crossdressed---would be the equivalent, or worse, than if i had been a child abuser. A murderer would have been a more more sympathetic character, and accepted, than a crossdresser.

The only thing that was really fulfilled in my life was the next few years when I crossdressed at will, participated in activities I wanted, went out, did whatever the things were that I wanted to do while crossdressing or involving crossdressing.

The urge dwindled, possibly due to enormous fulfillment, growing older and less passable, though my appetite for reading and viewing and participating on the internet on anything involving crossdressing continued. Just not actually doing it. I was satisfied. With lost of fantastic memories of doing, while crossdressed, most everything I ever dreamed of doing.

My daughter is now close to 40, after the divorce she was either told by the ex wife or the ex girlfriend, or picked up clues or whatever, it doesn't matter. So at this point now, me a senior citizen, I am estranged with her---she estranged and abandoned me because of the effect it had on her as a teen, she said. She is mother to my grandchildren. The amount of time I am allowed to see them is SEVERELY limited (virtually nil.) This estrangement, and "losing" my grandkids (and no telling what THEY are being told about me) is the worst thing I've ever been through. My daughter says I exposed her to something that as a teen she was far too young for, an "adult" thing that she could not handle as a teen so it messed her up for life. Her shrink told her that she should not be around me and should not let the grandchildren see me. From what I gathered, her shrink also treated my CD-ing, and my daughter learning of it as a teen, as the equivalent to child abuse---don't associate with that parent who did that and don't let the grandchildren see him. (I regret deeply that she learned as a teen of my cd-ing; it was wrong that i let it happen, however it happened. But I was on the pink cloud, free after 20 years of a marriage prison, free for the first time in my life.)

Estrangement of parents by their adult children is almost an epidemic, though I am probably one of the tiny few whose estrangement is due to her, as a child, learning about my cd-ing.

Back to the question: when my mother, with the participation of my two sisters (and possibly my father's acquiescence), both sisters roughly my age, dressed me for laughs, for teasing. Maybe even for ridicule. I don't know what was in my mother's mind, but it could have been manifestation of her own troubled relationships with men in her life, I have no idea. For my part, i moved from a nightmarish horror as a child of being "outted" or forced AGAIN, to being compulsive and having the happiest times in life, by cd-ing as an adult. The compulsion no doubt clouded my judgement, but that's just a sidebar at this point.

So----WAS what my mother, and sisters, did to me as a boy child, child abuse?

This is not a "Gee I only wish they'd done that to me" or anything titillating as a cd. Rather it is, in hindsight now, the source of most of the most serious pain and suffering in my life.

I would think it is abuse.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Banned Read only
    Wow, that's a rough tale but I'm glad you shared it Gigi! In light of that information alone I'd have to say yes!

Yes, I agree abuse. I would say you should get serious concealing as I did. I went away for a week in Arizona and it helped allot.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Gigi, the pain you must be enduring, by the estrangement of your family members. My heart feels for you, as I have the love of children and grandchildren.

I'm not sure I can answer your question, as I was never in a situation like that.

Take care and be good to yourself my friend.
    Amy

This does sound like abuse, Gigi.

The comments the shrink made were not helpful.

About the only thing you can do is find some peace.

I have two nephews in their mid 20s that I have never seen, nor has my mother. My sister estranged herself from the family when she married. I don't think my crossdressing is a significant part of the problem, as there are other issues outside my control.

I believe that forced dressing of a child, esspecially with the intent to tease, ridicule, and blackmail is definately child abuse. I do think its ok for a child to agree to crossdress as long as none of the parties use it for mean or intentionally embarrasing purposes. I dont think your daughter was too young to know about your crossdressing, I think the real problem was the bigoted stereotypical misinformation that she likely inherited from her mother and others around her and I think that too is a form of abuse that she endured and has unfortunately set the course for her views on the issue. I hope that over time as more people begin to accept us maybe she will think about things a little differently.

'm not sure how a court of law would decide, but to me, yes it's abuse, even one episode. Especially how your sisters used it to essentially blackmail you into doing what they wanted with the threat of embarrassing you if you didn't do what they preferred. Again, I don't know; my situation was completely different; my family's behavior occured before I understood that what they were doing could have an affect on my gender later on, and in fact, I didn't question my gender until the molestation incidents many years later. My mom clearly wanted another girl, and dressed me up in my sister's old clothes when I was a toddler before I had any idea of what was going on. She also kept me in sis' clothes when I was playing alone at home, all supposedly to save money so I wouldn't be ruining my 'big boy' clothes. She also sewed red and blue stripes into my sister's old panties and passed them off as fruit of the loom briefs (like dad's as the waistband always had those blue and red stripes). Dad stopped her from dressing me in anything girly (her pants and sweatshirts remained though, as did the shoes except when we were going out). As I idolized my sister during those very early years, I kind of liked being able to wear her clothes (until one day when she had enough of that and beat the tar out of me for it). The real abuse started when a child molester down the block dressed me up in his sisters clothes, and convinced me that I was really supposed to be a girl, and god would fix the mistake if I learned how to be a girl. So yeah, at some point it becomes child abuse.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 12-02-2015 at 01:02 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    This definitely sounds like abuse, all the more with the intent of blackmail. Such behaviour is unwarranted, unfortunately.

Banned Read only
    100% child abuse. Child abuse is not limited to physical harm, but, also includes emotional harm. Further, you are not to blame for the antics of your wife.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I spent a few years as a child welfare caseworker and I can assure you that by today's standards that would be child abuse. I think it is unconscionable for any parent to do something to a child to ridicule them let alone encourage their siblings to do the same.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Reality Check
    Are you thinking of suing your mother for child abuse? For the answer to your question, ask an attorney.

I don't think it rises to the level of child abuse. There are no educational requirements or licensing to be a parent, you just have sex and a child comes out. Every parent has made mistakes somewhere or sometime in raising a child. Most grow up fine.

I think you need to get over it and move on. Get help if you have to but move on and forget about this "excuse".

Aspiring Member
    Yes it is child abuse. My aunt use to do that to me when I was little. I remember other things she'd done but I won't get into done, but I won't get into . But i really feel alot of sorrow for you. Its something we have to accept and go on with your life. Since that time I have no feelings for her at all. The only thing was at that age I didn't know till later on I was born. Transgender. I'm 60 now

I know a guy that his mother dressed him in a dress everyday until he went to kindergarten. He is grown now and if its brought up he gets very upset.

It was humiliation and the guy is scared for life because his mother wanted a daughter.

In the case you describe I feel it was not abuse, it was a game at the time, but holding the threat over you was blackmail.

If a child was forced to dress inappropriately for a long period against their will, it would be unjust punishment and I consider abuse.

The rest is in your mind and could have been a psychological breakdown for you.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

There are some things that, without any shadow of doubt, constitute abuse and then there are other things that, depending on other factors, may or may not constitute abuse.
    From what you've told us of the circumstances of your case, what was done to you does appear to constitute abuse. However, I've known of households where male and female children (pre-school age) were habitually dressed alike - in very infant dresses. Was that abuse? I don't believe that it was used to coerce or blackmail or anything like that - it was just how things were. Yes, the photos were produced to prospective daughters in law for a giggle but nothing more. Was it abuse? In context, I don't believe so. I can also think of a household where the mother continually belittled any and all of her eldest son's achievements and 'made fun' of him at every opportunity? I've known her all my life and I cannot remember the last occasion on which she told him "well done". Abuse? I'll let you decide cos I'm biased.

In raising my daughters, there are several things that I did that I probably shouldn't have done. If someone were to look back on them from the current perspective they might term them abuse. At the time they seemed perfectly reasonable.

Too many people want to pick apart the past and blame other people for their problems. The past is past and if you wish to have a happy life you need to move on. The issue with seeing your grandchildren is a matter for a lawyer to examine. Your daughter's psychiatrist is telling her what she wants to hear, but that should not prevent you from seeing your grandchildren.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Yes, abusive if humiliating for the child, as entertainment for so-called grown-ups at the expense of the child. But no, if the child thought the CDing was a hoot and participated in the fun and games, which may not have been the case here.
    But abusive or not, I don't believe that such forced CDing MAKES someone a crossdresser, unless the proclivity is already there.

So they did something to you, the main purpose if which was to embarass and humiliate you. Yes. That sort of thing is abuse. It doesn't matter whether it was crossdressing or something else.

yes, abuse. Not the reason for you to be a CDer though. It will either happen or not happen. In your case, it woke up the gene that makes us CDers. Your exes are also abusers, attempting to damage your life because of CDing. The only thing I would say you could have improved on is your insistence to CD whenever, however. Still, not a reason for people to abuse anyone, they had the choice to just leave, and could have left it at that. As for your daughter and grandchildren, possibly the estrangement and serious limitation would be because they feel you will CD anytime, anywhere, anyhow?

Unless we are going through or have gone through transition, there are times and places for CDing. I am not suggesting we be the mercy of others... but, sometimes we just need to be more into what is really going on around us, then us being absorbed in the clothes we wear.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

That is sad, and would make an interesting Dr. Phil program.

Yes it's abuse. Both of my daughters know of my Cding from my EX but today they see that not what broke up the family. They're both open minded both it and let their kids dress how they want. Both of my grandson went out as princesses for Halloween.
    What they did to was wrong. To tease you and hold it over your head. I also was dressed up as a girl but for fun.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Silver Member
    It is child abuse, full stop. Inflicting humiliation and pain onto one's children just for amusement is abuse. It is not discipline, which is intended to teach and correct, what they did was done for no reason other than to inflict pain.

Gigi,
    I assume you are not asking a legal but a moral/ethical question. When a child is made to do something for the purpose of humiliation it is abuse. It may have started as "wouldn't it be cute" to see your brother in a dress. Even if it was done in that vein it would be abuse if done against your will. However, the later use to tease, humiliate, and blackmail makes a bad decision something clearly highly abusive.

Was it abuse? I don't know, maybe. Does everything in your life and all the negativity that you described stem from this one episode? Obviously it affected you badly, but as an adult does everyone react so negatively solely because of the crossdressing? From your description it sounds like you generally didn't much care what anyone thought - you were going to do what you were going to do without compromise. That likely did not benefit your relationships.