Thread: A little bit out?

A little bit out?

About 3 weeks ago I had a mani-pedi and as I usually do, I ran my grocery store and Walmart/Target errands, showing off my burgundy nails. I carry a purse almost all the time I'm not at work, so there was that, too. Other than that, drab. This was during weekday. Most people I know are working at this time. On this trip, I ran into a woman who had been a close friend of my ex and I. I'd rather I wouldn't have, but if you go out enough this kind of thing happens, and it's happened before in different scenarios. With this person, I was pretty sure she already knew I was a crossdresser. I knew my ex had outed me, at least on a limited basis. I won't go into the whole conversation, but I asked her who else knew and she said "probably a lot of people".

I've been doing this a long time. Over the years there have been quite a few people who knew bits and pieces. There was a time that I didn't hide much. Thing is, there was a time when I could be "out" on a limited basis. Even from a limited basis, some of those people I was out to, some from a long time ago, get pretty close to my work circle (which is where I REALLY need to be careful). But, that was then.

I'm one of the few people on the planet that doesn't have Facebook or any other social media. It appears to me that there is no longer much possibility of being out on a limited basis. All it takes is a neighbor, even a kid, a disgruntled ex, a friend or colleague who sees you from across the store, just about anybody who knows your real name, and you could eventually be out to everybody who's ever heard of you. We often talk about the benefits (to us) of the internet. That is a distinct problem. And it's there forever!

To my knowledge, I haven't been outed through social media. It looks to me, though, that now more than ever you run the risk of going from closeted to being completely out in a matter of minutes. It just takes being recognized by one of the right people. Those women you tell up front who decide you're not for them? Any one of them could ruin you. Exes, that's obvious. The neighbor kid who sees you leave or looks through the fence when you're doing an outdoor photo session... make up your own scenario.

I'm way more paranoid than I used to be. My work situation has changed, and would be less tolerant. I feel like I'm more aware. I no longer have an avatar photo, a profile photo, and I don't participate in the picture gallery. I avoid social media like the plague. I still go out. A lot. I recognize the incongruity. But, going out is so much at the foundation of who I am that it's a risk I'm willing to take. It's so much more risky now than it's ever been, though. I can look back on a number of incidents over the years that if they'd happened today might have ruined me.

People used to be more likely to respect privacy. Now that's almost non-existent. I've done a lot of thinking over the past few weeks about who knows and what they know. It's speculation for the most part, but it's a fact that even in my protected little world, I'm pretty out. It's only a matter of time until that "out-ness" reaches my workplace. I view that with a certain amount of trepidation, as well as a certain amount of resolve. I'll still be uber careful, but I accept the inevitability. I can easily forego social media and never again post pictures, but I'm not going to quit dressing, and I"m not going to stay home while I do it. I know that that mean one of these days my boss is likely to say, "I heard...."

Thoughts?

Banned Read only
    I tend to subscribe to the 6 degrees of separation theory, I'm out (like WAY out) to a lot of people I don't know...directly at least 😉

Being a tall chic I like shopping at the only LTS in my city as well, a good friend's wife is also a tall chic so I'm always carefull not to 'bump into' her there. My wife's too short for LTS so the 'shopping for a gift' angle wouldn't work...I'd play the 'mistress' card if I had to but that's a no win scenerio! 😨

Come to think though, my daughter's pretty tall...ahh who am I kidding...I look like a chic all the time, I wouldn't fool anyone in a woman's clothing store 😂

SA: "Would you like to try it on?"
    Me: "It's THAT obvious huh?"

Rhonda, I'd be lying if I said that I haven't noticed a change in your attitude, approach, etc.

I'd also never be so bold as to question your motivations.

All I can do is empathize and share my own POV, a similarity in our situations being a desire to preserve separation between work and/or family and/or everything else.

By your own description, you mention that your paranoia has increased which of course explains a lot. You also mention there is what appears to be a very good reason for this (work situation change). My only advice would be to expand your personal no-fly zone and adhere to it. This isn't a foolproof solution but it certainly affects the odds of encountering someone you know when out & about.

Your tolerance risk has changed and as you say, some events in the past happening today would ruin you. Again, I'm not here to challenge what is behind this, all of our situations are ours alone. But have you heard the expression "...and the world failed to explode"? Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy when it comes to this stuff. Should something bleed into your inner circle at some point, chances are much more likely than not that the world will utterly fail to explode (especially if you are truly prepared to absolutely own it). Others just don't care so much.

Best of luck to you Rhonda. I'm glad you had the strength to put yourself out there like this.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Hey Rhonda, since I am aware of your location, I'll try not to be to specific. I think one of your biggest fears is the loss of employment if outed. You do live in a small liberal area in a very conservative state. And since the area is a business hub, you'll run into folks of all persuasion and tolerance no mater where you go.
    Since those are the conditions, what is some one like you to do? You could do like me and own it or you could assume that every one has their camera ready to snap that tell all photo. You are aware of my location, as is everyone, because it says where I live right below my avatar. I too live in a liberal pocket amongst a large population of conservatives. The state does not provide protections for my "lifestyle", so if I lost a job due to my public dressing, I'd have little or no recourse. But I'm retired and worked for an institution that welcomed a transgender employee back following surgery.

I know conditions in your world aren't as good, but live how you want to live. Should someone out you, own it. You don't have to explain it to them, but tell them that you have been doing this for decades and you are no different now than you were when you first met them. You are you. You've already lost a wife over this, but look, you're still here and still you despite that loss. Our biggest problem is a lot of people in this part of the county think this is learned behavior and can be stopped if you wanted to. We both know the answer to that. Until they learn that this is not learned or addictive behavior, you and I are going to run into ignorant bullies.

So my advice is to be yourself. If you're outed, own it. If they attack your character, well then slander and liable laws can kick in. You and I are living lives on small islands in a sea of intolerance. You're bound to run into everyone on the island eventually, so be yourself and live happily.
    Last edited by Heidi Stevens; 12-04-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

If a lot of people know and they don't communicate with you lose the paranoia.

Carry on as normal.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Rhonda - You are most likely correct in assuming that if you continue to go out dressed, as you described, eventually, you will be discovered as a crossdresser at work. If you know that, and if you are going to continue to dress as you want to, it seems obvious that you need to prepare for the worst case possibilities (which I hope do not happen). Could they be: loss of job? pay loss? harassment? ostracized? embarrassed? other?

If these are possible, then you need to prepare for each possibility and prepare courses of action for each threat.

The most significant threats (e.g. - loss of job) should be addressed first. Does your company have policies? Should you seek help before you need help? Do you have enough money saved up to get by? Should you seek employment elsewhere in a company that is less likely to have negative consequences if discovered.

I am glad you are brave enough to be yourself. You only have one life to live. I just encourage you to be prepared. You may never be discovered and you may never suffer consequences if you are, but if you are ready, you can take on any challenge successfully - and still be you.

My wife has been concerned with me seeking out camaraderie over the internet as well. This is a valid fear and especially with all of the topics of transgenders in the media, people are on high alert if they suspect something. I haven't ever dressed outside of home, but I have a desire to and I hope to be very careful about that time that I spend outside.

For me, I've only shared this side of me with a select few and I hope and pray that they are respecting of my decision to share that with them, knowing that it is hard for me as well.

Sara,
    You're right. We've known each other for a pretty long time, and, yes, I've changed in a lot of ways. Certainly in ways I could have never foreseen. I don't know that my comfort level with being out has changed all that much. The biggest part of it I had no control over, so I don't worry about it. In some ways it's a relief.

The deal about seeing someone I know and them noticing my nails, etc., there was no avoiding her. I had no choice but to own it. And she was one of the ones I was certain my ex had outed me to.

What struck me about this is recognizing the cumulative effect of decades of going out and of doing things with my everyday appearance over those decades. Combine this with the instantaneous effect of social media and I realize I'm a heartbeat away from everybody knowing. I think that's true for a lot of us. Probably all of us. What's done is done, and what others choose to do is out of my control. I'm not going to live paralyzed with fear over it, but I'm certainly aware of it.

I haven't done a good job of making my point. I'll give one example (and there are many of these, compounding the issue). 35 years ago when I was first married and first moved here I had a menial job and was going to school. My wife and I lived in a big apartment complex. I felt completely anonymous, as did my wife. I rolled my hair almost every day back then, and I often did the laundry down at the end of the building with my hair in curlers. I also had very long nails and wore nail polish frequently (at my wife's urging). My wife and I and one of our female neighbors would lay out behind the apartment building to get a tan. I sometimes had my hair in curlers and always wore one of my wife's bikini bottoms. This neighbor became good friends with us. I don't remember if she ever saw me fully dressed, but she saw a lot of almost. I worked my way out of the menial job but still at the same company. About then this neighbor/friend came to work at the same company, and sat about 20 feet from me. Even to this day, she is acquainted with 2 people from that old company that I still work with. She moved to something else a long time ago. I know my ex still keeps up with her. As far as I know, she's never revealed any of the things she saw back in the day. By the same token, I'd be naive to think she never told anybody. If Facebook had been around back then, I would have been OUT! It could still happen. A lot of us have history that could come back to haunt us. Back then it was easier for people to keep secrets, and more people minded their own business. The threat is different now. Even if I decided today that I'd never leave the house again, there's enough on me already out there to make my life really uncomfortable, and that information is in the hands of people who could not care less or, worse, people who might just do it for the entertainment value. That's not unique to me. That's almost all of us.

That's the life most of us lead. That doesn't stop us. I don't know how many people know about me or who they are. That part is a bit unnerving. I'm just coming to realize that this part of me is really not s secret anymore. Still trying to wrap my head around that. I used to think that there were people who knew me as a male and people who knew me as a female and never the twain shall meet. Now I'm not so sure.