Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holding doors

holding doors

I still feel funny when a man holds the door open for me, I dress fem and have very long hair that I wear down all the time, most of the time very little or no makeup and blend in clothes on. This has happened a lot lately, I say thank you and walk on thru, Do any of you feel strange in a good way also when this happens to you? Marshalynn

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I've been scowled at by a womanfor holding a door open- clearly she hadn't figured out that I hold doors open for men too, and I've twice been scowled at for holding the door open for celebs- clearly they imagined I was doing it because I was in awe of them. Tricky things, doors.

Who knows Marsha- maybe they held the doors open because they are nice people!
    Last edited by Lorileah; 12-07-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: be nice
    I used to have a short attention spa

It's a common curtsey irispective of it the gender.

Some men do take it as an affront to their manlyhood.

Once a guy sarcasticly said "thanks jee ves" that anoyed me a little.

After my upbringing. I have a hard time when femme with the door thing. I have always been the one to go out of the way to open doors for the ladies. Often time stepping quickly to get to the door in order to do it. I actually do this to when dressed and I get looks for it. I am trying to break that habit. It is nice to have the door held for you when dressed.

It's kinda nice when it happens, but then again I'll hold the door open for another lady even when i am dressed. But don't we really want to be treated as ladies? Yesterday we were at a garden store and I was about to lift a bag of potting soil into a cart when one of the Home Depot guys said "Miss, let me do that for you." Yes, that was nice .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Aspiring Member
    No not anymore. I still hold the door for the elderly and anyone who has a hard time getting around or if there hands are full. Common courtesy thats all.

I just think,maybe I passed again. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

No, I don't feel strange. I feel good, smile and say "Thank you".
    Hugs, Carole

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Yeah, it' common courtesy for any gender.
    I always hold a a door open for both genders and never had a problem with it .

If someone did happen to take offense, screw them !
    They have a real problem, not me and I'm not going to become discourteous because of them.

Aspiring Member
    Much the same as the other comments/ I feel slightly guilty when a man holds a dor open for me as Susan but I am happy to hold the door open for other irrespective of gender, so no need to get anxious about anything.

Feels very strange to me as I always hold the door for women and it feels different when a man does it for me. I simply smile and mouth thanks and think I must look female if he thinks I am! Thats a very good feeling and puts a spring in my step.

I don't feel strange at all. I admire the respect the person has for another person (whether or not they believe me to be a woman).
    I will hold the door for others as well, not because someone is female (although I do always do that...my mother brought me up right), but because I prefer to show respect to another human being and acknowledge their presence. Some appreciate it, others...well let's just say they need to review their manners.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I was raised to be a gentleman and always held doors for those in my group who were behind me, particularly ladies. Now I am a lady and I graciously allow others to hold the door for me.

The most awkward-feeling situation I face is at a small theater that has standing room to either side of the seats. Several times I have been one of the last ones in and a seated gentleman has risen and offered me his seat. Even though my ingrained conditioning screams "no!" I accept the seat as not to do so would be impolite.
    Last edited by Eryn; 12-08-2015 at 02:06 AM.

I love it. I enjoy being treated like a lady and I always respond with a big smile and a loud "thank you" in my unmistakably male voice, as if to eliminate any doubt for short-sighted gentlemen. Only once, a while ago, I noted a sarcastic, exaggerated courtesy from some redneck when leaving a country store, I didn't like it but left without a comment. Today I would probably turn around and give the hillbilly a piece of my mind (specifically, the piece filled with expletives).

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I love it actually especially if I am in 100% girl mode.
    Had a red neckish guy hold the door for me the other day while I was in 50/50 mode or "pumpkin mode".
    His GF looked at him with a puzzled look and said honey that was a guy he can open his own door LOL.
    The guy did a double take and said oh shit sorry. I said it was very gentlemanly of you thank you and gave him a wink.
    His GF about lost it and started giggling with her hands to her mouth.
    I couldn't let a funny situation go by without making the best of it and yes he was really cute,

Not at all, I've even had women hold the door for me when passing in the door way. I think it's just being polite.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

It makes me feel very feminine if a guy holds a door open for me. I always respond with a smile and thank you. Even in femme mode I will hold the door for someone with a child or the elderly. I tend to expect the man to open a car door for me if we are going on a date. It make them feel a little more masculine I think - just a guess

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    ...Today I would probably turn around and give the hillbilly a piece of my mind (specifically, the piece filled with expletives).
    Before you pull out the flamethrower be sure that your target truly deserves it. Exaggerated motions may or may not indicate that he is mocking you. He might just be drunk and think that he is being particularly chivalrous. Yell at him and you'll certainly verify any suspicions he might have as well as giving him the perfect justification for them.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

What I like most about our campus is that people open doors for one another (students, faculty, men, women equally)

I hold the door for women or those that are presenting themselves as women. I always will. If a women gets offended or upset that I've held the door for her, I let her have her comment or rant then go about my way. It's courtesy. Has anyone noticed that the passenger doors of many vehicles no longer have keyholes? Make sure you have your remote if you are going to be a gentleman.

Reality Check
    I suppose I live in a more polite part of the world. Here, it's common for anyone to hold the door for anyone.

I think many have hit the point on this one, in general you should hold the door open for anyone, not because they are female, or elderly or anything else just simply because they are another person.

When I hang with my friends in Sarah mode and they hold a door for me I do get a weird feeling from it though, as it is not something I expect to happen, I usually allow someone to enter before me and Ill step back to let them through.
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I want to make it clear I was not complaining, about some man held the door for me, I am saying it feels strange being treated as a female, after so many years as a male. Marshalynn
    Last edited by marshalynn; 12-08-2015 at 06:56 PM.

i am betwixt and between.....in some cases i hesitate and if someone (most often a man) holds the door for me i accept graciously....i sometimes hold it open for others given different circumstances - stream of people, hands full of xmas packages

both feel right as just proper manners and courtesy

Since I only go out in male attire, I had the door open by both men and women, and I always do likewise. Common courtesy.
    One unusual incident was when I was walking through our extensive underground walkways. I walked behind a well-known politician and not once did he held the door open or even glanced backwards to see who's behind him. I finally manged to get ahead of him and held the door open for him, he walked through without a word or even a nod of acknowledgement.
    I guess it would have been different if he were campaigning for re-election.