Thread: So your wig is just a little off?

Banned Read only

So your wig is just a little off?

I am sure that anyone who has bought a wig was thrilled when it arrived and then shortly after wished it was just a little different. Somehow, the wigs I have bought just don't seem to fall exactly as on the model (maybe it's my man face that ruins the look, but I hope it's the wig;-)) Then of course after a time, the wig just gets too frizzled at the ends.

If you have ever had this trouble, go to a stylist and get it fixed. I just had my new wig re-cut at a great salon in downtown San Jose (Paper Doll Salon) and it's now far better then when I received it. I went from a long, uncontrolled, hair-in-my-face style to a great angled bob. This is my third time taking a wig to Stacey and I am am never disappointed. It's really amazing what a good stylist can do. They can take whatever you have and make it work with your face. The experience is great so don't settle!

evidence of the change:
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post3859816
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 12-11-2015 at 08:35 PM.

My wife sold wigs many years ago and the kanekalon wigs are heat sensitive. I had one get a little frizzy when I was at the stove, so any kitchen work is wig free.

I would love to do that.

I agree Jenifer a stylist and do wonders with a wig; try it! You'll be amazed!

Jamie
    At the makeup counter

Hi Jennifer. I recently got my rather long and wild wig styled, taking the straggly bits away from my face and making it look beautifully groomed. Only problem was they cut the fringe (bangs) a little too short and I have to keep pulling it down towards my eyebrows. Aaaarrrggghhh!!!! It's not as if you can just wait a week or two for it to grow back in, lol.

Reminds me of when I had really long hair in the 70s and the hairdresser cut too much off. Nothing changes!
    Michelle

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya_cd View Post
    I would love to do that.
    You can. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Girl View Post
    ...Only problem was they cut the fringe (bangs) a little too short ..
    Michelle, THAT is the problem with wigs. It's a real commitment and a mistake is permanent unless you can go shorter. Oh well, you can get another wig and get THAT one re-styled.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Take care of your wigs and wash them every now and then and they will last a long time.

Michelle, THAT is the problem with wigs. It's a real commitment and a mistake is permanent unless you can go shorter. Oh well, you can get another wig and get THAT one re-styled.[/QUOTE

Yes, Jennifer. Good suggestion. I think I can envisage it being transformed into a bob at some stage, when I get a new long wig to replace it. Putting a positive spin on it, this gives me the chance to experiment with lengths and styles I wouldn't normally try. All part of the fun!!

Love, Michelle
    Michelle

I had a collection of off wigs as you describe, I left them in the hands of a great scissor merchant and he did wonders.

He was gay but never patted me on the bum and he was super pleased the way the wigs turned out.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Take care of your wigs and wash them every now and then and they will last a long time.
    Tracii, I take care of my wigs. And, as I go out infrequently, they get little use, still, all have become a frizzled mess at the tips. From what i have read, the static of the fibers rubbing on one's back and shoulders causes this. While they look alright, all have reached a point where I can not run my fingers through the hair without getting caught up. I have saved some of the worst problems with fabric softener solution but I can't get any of them back to the original. I think I am stuck buying new every year or so.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    So got a question on this can a synthetic wig be restyled? I thought only the human hair ones could

Thanks for the great tips (not frizzed I hope), Jennifer. I use the liquid softener trick a couple times a year on mine. If others want to try this, wash your wig as you do normally. Then get a bowl or bucket that you put the wig in the bottom and then pour liquid fabric softener in until the wig is completely submerged. Let this sit for at least a day. Then rinse and dry as normal. Removes a lot of static and frizz. Then do as Jennifer suggests, take it to a stylist to get it looking it's best.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighR View Post
    So got a question on this can a synthetic wig be restyled? I thought only the human hair ones could

Yes they can be restyled. All my wigs have been synthetic. What you can't do is add permanent curls or remove curled/waves, for example. I'll post some before and after of my latest cut. You can a Chiefs a totally different look

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Yes they can be restyled. All my wigs have been synthetic. What you can't do is add permanent curls or remove curled/waves, for example. I'll post some before and after of my latest cut. You can a Chiefs a totally different look
    Thanks Jen, I've got a longer wig I would like to see if it can be cut a bit shorter which I think would work better.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Most wigs need to be cut, to fit the new owners head. Your stylist can do some cool things with them and it is worth the time to find someone good to help you. Remember they don't grow out, so whoever cuts them, needs to know what they are doing.
    Dana Ryan