Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could I get by?

Could I get by?

I was going out yesterday and in the process of dressing. After I was done with my makeup I looked in the mirror. I generally pass pretty well but as I looked at myself without the wig I thought there would be a good chance I could pass without one. I can't grow my hair long but I could have a nice short cropped one that many women wear. Have any of you ever considered going out without your wig?

I do not wear my wig - my own hair is styled as a chin length bob

I have found that my mirror frequently lies to me.

Reality Check
    I don't think my natural hair is long enough and cut right to look feminine so I don't go out as Krisi without my wig.

The wig has the advantage of changing not only the length and style, but also the color, making me less recognizable.

I love longer hair and do not have it.

I always go out with a wig.

I sure enjoyed my wig when I had no hair, but if you want to dress for super exteneded periods there is nothing like having your own hair.

I am fortunate to be able to have long natural hair, was out last night witout a wig an had no issues.

Next time you are at the airport or mall look around women are wearing every style you can imagine and some just have a rats nest on their heads.
    Last edited by Lauri K; 12-11-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: I type bad

Taylor: I have found that my mirror frequently lies to me.
    See if you can find an older mirror on Ebay! I remember the picture quality in mirrors about 30 years was a lot better!

Aspiring Member
    I always wear a wig. I'm bald

Only when I wore my hair like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I was a lot younger then.

Most people wear a wig when out.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Angela, my hair had grown enough that I may be able to pull it off. But I've been told by my wife not yet. Maybe by summer. Winter has wig advantages, keeping you warm.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Its just me, but I gave away all my wigs. Its either my own hair or forget it. Working towards an inverted bob right now. My hairstylist is wonderful, just hope it keeps growing.
    Erica

I'm doing about a 50/50 mix of wig and no-wig lately. I still think I'm way more passable with a wig, but as I grow my hair out it's becoming easier to just go without it. I'm lucky in that at 36 I have a full head of hair and no receding hairline. My stylist and I have been working on my hair for a couple of months, as I'm starting to entertain the notion on transition and I don't want to have to wear a wig if/when I go full-time.

A lot of it depends on your facial structure. I have a reasonably feminine face, so it's not as jarring without a wig. If you have a more masculine jawline and such the softening effect of long hair works wonders to accentuate female gender markers.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

I would like a style that works in boy or girl mode. I'm thinking about getting my hair styled like Jamie Lee Curtis. It's short and boy like so makeup will be key.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor186 View Post
    I have found that my mirror frequently lies to me.
    Must be a fairly honest mirror. Mine lies each and every time.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I wear my own hair out more than a wig these days so I would say sure you can.

i've always had long hair so i've never worn a wig out in public,
    even thou i probably have at least a dozen wigs.
    paula

I haven't gone out in public yet. I don't have a wig and I'm bald, but I was prepared to go out with a friend about a year ago. I was wearing a stocking cap. Our driver didn't show up in time, so I didn't get to go out. What would it cost to get imitation hair tattooed onto your scalp?
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Banned Read only

Silver Member
    I always wear my wig because I want to and because I think I look better wearing it. But it is not about "passing", which to me, is an impossible and unnecessary goal.

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    I so want to throw the wigs away, but there's no way.... I'm trying but it'll be years before I'll even know if I can encourage growth on the barren desert that my scalp is..
    Call me Donna, please

I would gladly just grow my hair long, my wife even suggested it. But, alas, too much of a widows peak/receding thing going on. Not terrible but enough.

A gentle searcher. Chriscrossed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela1954 View Post
    ...I can't grow my hair long but I could have a nice short cropped one that many women wear. Have any of you ever considered going out without your wig?
    Anything is possible. As you can see in the pictures above the amount of beauty you project depends more on your attitude and self confidence than your hair length. People are experts at reading emotions in facial expressions in super fine detail, very fast and at a good distance. Nothing contributes more powerfully to pulling off a good outlook than a confident look on your face that comes from the heart.

But remember that your hair is right there framing that face, so I figure it's up there in importance.
    My list of essential elements to focus on to "get by" from most important down to least important would be:
    #1. Your heart
    #2. Your self esteem / attitude
    #3. Makeup & hair (bald is OK if your attitude is workin')
    #4. Shoes & stockings ...
    and the rest is irrelevant [as you can see in my current fantasy avatar].

Enjoy experimenting with different hair looks. If you have a notion a cropped hairdo would work just do it, you will look great.

Chris Crossed.

Mirror, mirror on the wall.
    Who the fairest of them all.
    Lie to me again please.
    Live and let dress.

I am lucky to have enough hair to not require a wig. My avatar is my real hair just after it was styled at Ulta Solon.

Richelle

I don't have a wig, I don't even know how to go about buying one. I'm just growing my real hair long. I used to get buzz cuts all the time, but not anymore.
    I tend to use my cell phone camera in selfie mode as a mirror, unless I'm putting on my makeup, which I need both hands for
    Stay inspired
    Amy