Thread: Transgendered on Larry King Live

Wink Transgender, the topic on [I]Larry King Live[/I]

Wednesday night on CNN

Quote Originally Posted by Cdone2
    Wednesday night on CNN
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh boy! I can hardly wait for more superficial media coverage.

Why doesnt someone really get smart and do a series on gender issues? Show what it is REALLY like for us and the hell we go through? Show the years of therapy, the prejudice and ignorance, the suicides and beatings.

We cant change attitudes like the Gay community did without some REAL hard hitting media help and a lot of screaming and kicking. Otherwise we will remain just closeted silly girls in too many cases.

It was wonderful for Tyra and Maury etc to put on some Tgirls etc etc. but did it do any good? Oooo arent they pretty? How about the rest of us?

Sorry, I just needed to vent on this one.

Hugs
    Kimberley.
    Last edited by Kimberley; 02-15-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

I'd rather have 'good' but superficial coverage than negative 'look at the freaky gender-benders' shows.
    I can't comment on Canadian TV but over here there have been quite a few serious documentaries, showing the struggles, pain and prejudices we face. There was one many years ago (70s or early 80s) that followed a lady through the horrendous and autocratic medical system, and in the late 90s the makers went back and showed her then, along with all the trouble she's had in life (including brittle bones due to not taking hormones).
    Also, a huge soap over here, Coronation Street (I can't stand it) has a transgendered character in it, portrayed in a very positive light.
    Ultimately, the media isn't there to help anyone, it doesn't care. It's there to make money like everything else, so what sells gets made, and if it won't make money, it doesn't.
    Not very fair, and not as helpful as they could be, but perhaps over time all the coverage will add up to people being aware enough to know we aren't freaks. Hope so

Hi Maria,
    I know what you are saying but the coverage is far too scant to have any real effect. It requires more than a 3 minute piece on a colour glossy "news" program or 10 minutes on Dr. Phil or Oprah once a year if you are lucky.
    It is wonderful to show the "successful" couples and hold them up to what can be.
    The reality is that most of us have spouses who absolutely disapprove (mine being one of them and my hiding it from her has been a real source of aggravation even though I told her she could leave if she wanted.)
    There are so many social stereotypes to overcome. Ppl have a very narrow view of us when in fact the spectrum is quite wide as we all know. Similarly so are other ppl's reactions that range from "the silly poof" to "let's beat the crap out of him" which we all saw earlier this week with one of our own members.
    Let's face it, most of us here are older and have been around the block a few times. We've made all the mistakes. What we can do is to try and make it better for the younger ones. They can benefit from our experiences. This is why I say that the media are doing us no favours.
    There is a lot of support here for one another but we need to reach farther and show the reality of our lives not just hold up a few poster girls. If that were to happen, then maybe a few GG's will understand and at least tolerate us for who we are. We all need love and acceptance but as things go now for many of us that is a distant pipedream. Unless the stereotype is broken the status quo will remain and that is the saddest thing I can think of.

Kimberley.

BTW. My wife loves Coronation St. and Eastenders. Doesnt miss an episode. Like you, I could care less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

Tonight at 9pm ET: Felicity Huffman and Dolly Parton of "Transamerica." Plus, people who've had transgender operations take us inside their world.

Supposedly, and in addition to the foregoing, Dr. Michele Angello, PHD, was interviewed by Larry King and her segment will be included, or possibly coming up on a later Larry King show. Dr. Angello is an at large member of Renaissance and a psychologist who specializes in gender related issues. FWIH Jen Boylan is also supposed to be part of the program. Ethan St. Pierre of GenderTalk knows Dr. Angello and had her on TransFM awhile back.
    DonnaT

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar

CNN Larry King Wendesday

I just wanted to pop a note, just in case no one knew about this and might want to watch it.
    Larry King on CNN is doing a report on Transgenders tonight.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/
    Last edited by susancheerleader; 02-15-2006 at 07:59 PM.