Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting 'traditionally male' enclaves' en femme?

Visiting 'traditionally male' enclaves' en femme?

Last Saturday I had a lot of things to do and it was the last day before my wonderful but DADT wife returned from a trip. One of the items on my 'honey-do' list was visiting a Firestone store to remove the all-weather tires and wheels on her car and install her snow tires (Blizzaks) and wheels so as u can imagine, I had the 'do I/don't I' dilemma. Of course, the 'pink fog' prevailed.

I chose a sweater dress w/tights and a nice pair of mid-heel boots, typical Northwest wear for this time of year and went to the shop at my appointed time, after I had run a few errands, visited a wig shop to try a few different wigs and to a beauty supply store to get 'stickies' for my stick-on nails.

Two male customers at the tire shop and a few others that came in and out while I was there. Of course I was clocked by the service attendant and the tech and probably by a lady customer who also came while I was there and yes, I felt that maybe I had gone too far in my 'pink fog'.

Any other narratives of similar 'outré' outings to more traditionally male venues?

Merry Christmas!
    Helen

I often shop at cigar stores en femme.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Good for you Helen represent!!!

I have been into that revered of all man caves the DIY superstore a couple of times. Never anywhere I needed to sit and wait as you did; well done you.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Not a chance in hell. I prefer a root canal over going out to vanilla venues dressed for no reason!

I think that was very brave of u.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Helen sounds great, yes you got clocked but you were dressed as you wanted and you had a good time.
    Good for you

Helen,
    If I am likely to get clocked in male enclaves I choose not to be brave and go there.

I will drop the car off and let them change the tyres whilst I do other shopping.

Buying hardware and building supplies does not involve the amount of scrutiny as a tyre shop.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

so THAT'S why the world stopped spinning Saturday...it didn't did it? So you got made, no one cared and you got the work done, right?

Early on for me someone told me, act like you are supposed to be there and no one will really care that you are
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Tyre shop, mechanics work shop, tool shops, just anywhere & everywhere. Pretty much clocked most places, just don't care anymore
    Did I mention visiting war ships?
    DSCF0065a.jpg
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

i have not visited warships but i am with rachel....everywhere and anywhere..no worries no problems

I go to any venue in femme if I need to do or buy something. I find it very reassuring of my femme self in the world. Being "made" (clocked) is just second nature now and sometimes even turns into an informative discussion. Until I see a sign forbidding me from entering I will go anywhere I feel a need to, if they don't want my money I'm sure I can find someone who will. Glad you had the "nerve" to step out of the "box".
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

i'm still wary, sometimes I do go to the diy store dressed andro, other times it's just easier to put on old working clothes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Well, does the Reagan Library count? That's a pretty macho venue!

I shied away from visiting male venues like auto parts stores while dressed, but one day I lost the oil filler cap from my car due to stupidity. I needed a cap right away so I zipped down to the local Autozone. I forgot that I was in casual femme until I was ma'amed by the counter guy!

So, no problem at all.

Just a thought here. I am a single woman. I don't have the option of a male SO to do things for me, so why, may I ask is it a problem? Every lumber store here has female SAs, I have seen female plumbers and electricians. One of the best mechanics I know is a woman. So why are you worried? Will you be doing something that will call attention to the fact you are biological male? I do understand that you have fear being out. I get that, but why would you think being in a tire store, or DIY store, or auto parts store be different than being in a candy shop, or dress store, or makeup place? I stay from places where physical harm is possible, a tire store isn't one of them. In fact, last time I was in one, I was treated better than as a male. No I have not lost my ability to change a tire or add oil...

The OP even states a cis woman came in. Did she look nervous. Did she hesitate with all those men? What was the fear trigger for you here?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Hi Helen,

No, I can't even equal your feat let alone offer a better version. I shall go out on Boxing Day and buy a bonnet, so that I may doth it in your direction.

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaD View Post
    I often shop at cigar stores en femme.
    I think, *ugger me, could you pick a more man style place?...kudos to you too.

I really am a wet wimp in the presence of you two, now get lost and stop making me feel useless.

Becky x - doling out big respect
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Does a Model Engineering show count? 99% male and 100% nerdy! I'm still trying to decide whether to go drab or en-femme.

Wow Helen, Firestone is a pretty macho place. So what would you do if you went into a Bass Pro? I did last month and had a great time!

image.jpegimage.jpeg
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Just a thought here. I am a single woman. I don't have the option of a male SO to do things for me, so why, may I ask is it a problem?...
    It isn't. It seems to be a phase that TG folks pass through if their journey carries them far enough. I certainly did it and still do to a point.

Mimi and I are in the process of buying a new car. I "boyed up" to go to the dealer. Black, baggy polo shirt, jeans, hair tied back, tiny gold studs in ears. Didn't work, as I still was gendered as female by the first salesperson we encountered!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Stevens View Post
    ...So what would you do if you went into a Bass Pro?...
    Check the price on bricks of [unmentionable]? Girls gotta have fun too!

One of the places Persephone took me when I was first going out was Bass Pro, after a long day of outlet shopping. I love the Islamorada restaurant!

I don't see it as particularly masculine. Lots of things for women there!

http://www.basspro.com/Sleepwear-%26.../S-12600002007
    Last edited by Eryn; 12-24-2015 at 09:08 PM.

I go out as a man in a skirt, etc. Masculine from the neck up. I have gone to a big-box hardware/building supplies store. I was SO nervous. No one cared. I avoided most people. But no one cared. I once was in a hotel lobby watching the television when a bus load of soldiers walked in. I think they just returned from a deployment. I decided to make my way out of there. They are serving in tough situations, and here I am lounging in pantyhose and a cute top. I am sure they would have treated me with respect... Sporting goods stores are not very macho places. I guess that's about all I can think of I have done. These days, I think I could go almost anywhere dressed. No one has ever given me a hard time while I was out dressed. I'm getting rather comfortable.
    I am a man who presents male and wears feminine clothes.
    I blog about my outings: https://joeypress.wordpress.com/

Interesting. I have been in many places fully dressed; makeup, etc. but never drab with female clothes. The closest I have come is wearing leggings out to shop. I did get a few looks but nothing bad. Credit to those here who go out in full dress mode. Would love to try. Maybe some day.

Aspiring Member
    You did great, so what if you were clocked you enjoyed being out thats what's important. I do everything in female mode and enjoy it especially the time when I went to one of those rental places for construction equipment and rented a small excavator to help a friend put in a new waterline in. The looks I got were hilarious. Just keep in enjoying yourself,and don't worry about it.
    Merry Christmas to you

I've been to more places than I can remember while dressed pretty. Going to the typical "male" venues is something I just don't do in EITHER MODE. I rarely go to the auto parts store or auto repair shop (my wife usually does that stuff while I'm at work). I do go to the box box hardware/lumber store in boy mode, but never in girl mode. My girl side doesn't like to do that.

HOWEVER, I did go to get the oil changed in the car one time dressed in girl mode. It all went fine. No big deal.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

That's great, takes a lot of courage to do that. Even though you were dressed in fem it takes a lot of balls to do what you did.Lol. All kidding aside you should be very proud of yourself. What's nexts?

People should just relax and go anywhere any woman would go to get whatever she needs. Once the newness wears off,you will never think about it again.

A few months ago I went to an auto repair place dressed en femme, and it turned out to be no big deal. Now I pretty well go everywhere en femme.