Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do?

I think about it a different way. If I don't buy it immediately and change my mind in a couple of days, will I be really devastated if it's already been sold?

I've missed out on some very cool outfits by thinking too long.

On the other hand, I make Steffi stick to a pretty strict budget, so if the dress is expensive, I think about how many other things I could get instead.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I have a number of items that look great in the closet... for some odd (and probably deeply psychologically disturbing) reason- I'll 'save' some outfits i really really like- don't want to wear them out. Which is odd, because some of them I don't like as much as some others I _have_ worn the heck out of.

I would say- if you have a number of items you can buy- make a list and decide which you like best. Get at least the first one.

One thing I have learned- not every item will fit the way you might thing it will. Nor will every item always be available in that size. So if the store you are shopping at accepts returns, get as many items as you like, try them on for fit, see how you like them and return what you don't like as much, if you want the $$$ back.

One of my favorite outlet stores has 50% off the second item- the problem is that if the lesser price item is fairly inexpensive to begin with- it doen't really make a lot of sense to return it. Hence the reason I am re-building closets at present...

Two other things that might help make the decision:

1. Buy quality when you can afford it: "the bitterness of low quality lasts much longer than the sweetness of low price" - [unknown author]

2. Spend more for basic or standard fashion pieces- a nice black dress for instance. Check out a book on practical fashion from the library or pick one up used cheap on amazon or ebay- good fashion advice in these books.

finally- remember that having to choose stuff like this is what many GGs do all the time. So if you are just into crossdressing, it may not be as much fun, but if you like to embrace more of the 'feminine' aspects that GGs typically do, this is part of it.

Above all: have fun!

it's a complex decision including budget, necessity versus luxury, practicality versus fun, likely usage versus nice in the wardrobe. No wonder women are so good at saying "it depends" :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I find the best dresses and skirts at super low prices at Thrift stores; I will pretty much buy anything that fits and looks nice. Granted, I'm average sized for my height, so finding clothes and heels that fit is really no problem.
    I really want a dark purple dress.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

The first thing to do is to try it on. Several "Oh, I love that dresses" once on, were not as pleasing as they were on the hanger.
    TRY IT ON!
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Hugs,

Carla

http://flickr.com/photos/carla4guage/

Aspiring Member
    If I like it I buy I whether I need it or not. I know someday I will need that dress. Learned that trait tears ago from my wife.

I would buy it. Sure, I would wear it around the house at first but eventually I will end up wearing it out somewhere.

brenda_s
    Buy it and do not look back. Life is precious and short...enjoy the experience and ride!

I do feel guilty sometimes about spending money on this side of me for the reason you stated.

Life's too short... Buy it and rock it!! Also, drink the good wine now and eat dessert first. Because life REALLY is too short.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I buy into the "life's too short" explanation. My wife doesn't help at all either, I suppose we enable each other. She'll see me looking at something and ask if I'm going to buy it; which most of the time I do. Now I have too much stuff.
    Dana Ryan

I bought a dress once because it was calling to me from the shops window display I was walking past the shop every morning on my way to work and this one dress kept on catching my eye so eventually i couldn't resist it any more I had to buy it was pricy but had to get iy

Aspiring Member
    I buy now. I get that lil negative feeling, put it back, too expensive, I am learning to send money on myself and enjoy it.

Go for it girl! Life really is too short. I have way to much clothes as well and always ask myself where would I really wear this? I mostly have casual stuff, jeans, tees, blouses and one dress that I just had to have! I have never regretted a single purchase.

Silver Member
    Hello, Amber-sue. I've purchased a number of pretty things knowing that I'd only wear them at home, or driving, or maybe my walk-around-the-car in a parking lot, and I love it! I just have to be careful that I'm not overtaken by the pink fog.
    OX
    Jenny22

I have bought things and never worn them.

Now, I've got a closet full and it is so hard to throw them away,

But I am, slowly but surely, I am. Sticking to Chic jeans, women's shells, underdressing, drab shirt and drab shoes

If it's in the budget, I'd most definitely buy it! Anytime I see a dress/skirt/top/shoes that leap out at me like that it's a must have for the wardrobe regardless of where/when I might wear it. If I didn't, I'd spend the next several days regretting not purchasing it.

<3 Lauren