Thread: 2015 = "His" Last Year. 2016 = Holly's First Year!

Aspiring Member

2015 = "His" Last Year. 2016 = Holly's First Year!

My goodness, it's been quite a year. I'd say 2015 ranks up there with one of, if not the, biggest years of my life. Much has changed though much hasn't and I'm still facing some big struggles and self-medicating to try and ease them. My progress is slow but still progress.

Perhaps one of the biggest areas of progress is me coming out to people. I am not out to everyone but wow it's getting close. I feel like there are more people in my life who know about Holly than those who don't. There were some really big reveals this year. For instance, officially coming out to my family was HUGE for me. Finally after hiding things for years upon years, I'm no longer lying to them and it feels wonderful. This isn't to say there haven't been some struggles, there's very little about this process that is easy for me. Having said that, I'm working with my parents to try and make things as easy as possible on all of us.

My eldest sister and her husband are still struggling with my revelation, but she and I actually spoke on the phone on Christmas Day. Nothing about my transition was discussed, but that's okay. I of course want to talk to her about everything. I want to convince her that this is the right path for me. However I know she is set in her beliefs and the risk argument was great. So, instead of discussing things directly, I am hoping my tone, happiness, and willingness to talk came through on the call and indirectly showed her a taste of how well I'm doing. It's going to be very small baby steps with her.

My closest friends have stopped using my male name and pronouns. They refer to me as Holly and a "she" everywhere except for at work or in a public setting around people who don't know. In those settings, they actually say it's strange and hard for them to remember to address me as "him". I find it strange they were able to transition their vocabulary so easily, though perhaps Holly is more visible to them than I understand. My direct supervisor has even stopped using my male name and only uses my last name, which is shared in both my given and chosen names.

I am so grateful for these friends in my life.

Speaking of work, I've grown pretty comfortable blending my attire and wear women's jeans and tops more often than men's. I started wearing men's tops with women's bottoms, or vice versa. Then worked up to women's tops and bottoms. It's still quite androgynous but, for me, big steps nonetheless.

Other updates include that I have completed my twelfth session of facial hair removal with laser. Results have been pretty decent actually, I'm quite pleased, however it's time this girl move up to the big leagues and finish the job with electrolysis. A downside, beyond the fact it's electrolysis, is that I will no longer be able to rely on Groupons to help financially as there aren't any for this method of hair removal. Fingers crossed I won't need that much electro..........famous last words?

My hair is another huge update. I've been receding since my teens and thinning heavily up top since since my early 20s. HRT, couple with Finasteride, has really helped stifle the balding and stimulated some regrowth. For the first time in over 10 years, I stopped shaving my head and am pretty confident to say my hair is currently the longest it's ever been. I absolutely adore it. Admittedly, it's a bit of a mess however because of the transplant surgery but that's easily covered with a hat and will resolve itself in time when the transplanted grafts begin to grow.

Speaking of that transplant surgery. Holy moly! That was my first real surgery for Holly! It wasn't nearly as invasive or challenging as say SRS or FFS, but it was still a huge step, and expense, for me, of which I'm very proud.

Christmas was quite interesting this year. I was wondering how my parents would approach it considering they know about Holly but also knew this was their last Christmas with their son. I said to myself in the mirror that I would accept, and even encourage, the use of my male name. It's hard and triggers GD, but I respect my parents and want this transition to be as easy as possible for them. They're gaining a daughter, yes, but I can't forget they're also losing a son, their only son.

As it turned out, all gifts were labeled for "him" and whatever clothing received was for men as well. Initially this really bothered me, but I thought back to that conversation with myself in the mirror, don't fret about how the gifts are labeled or what they are, be thankful you still have your parents when so many others don't. The GD was strong, but abated slightly when considering this.

My dad surprised me however, after opening our gifts, he pointed to my stocking, which has my male name and has been with me since my first Christmas, and commented that I'll need a new one next year. He said this in such a matter-of-fact type of way, as if he's totally accepted things. It was such a small comment but meant so much to me. My dad has come a very long way in his acceptance of Holly. When I first broached the topic of my being trans with him, he struggled a lot with my "chosen lifestyle". But now he believes, as do I, that I was born this way and is completely behind me. It's beautiful...

Later on Christmas Day, we visited my two remaining great aunts. Both are pushing their late 90s....and both "misgendered" me. By that, I mean, even though I was presenting as male (mostly), they both seemed to slip on whether I was male or female. One aunt commented on how tall I've been getting and when I stood up next to my mom, my aunt commented "oh my she is getting tall!" Please note the use of "she" here. I didn't question it and just continued on smiling a huge warm smile inside.

My other great aunt is a bit of a sadder story. She's not doing very well and has dementia. She actually didn't recognize me and asked my parents how their daughter was doing while motioning towards me. There were a few slip ups like this (her, she, daughter again) each made me smile but it was sad to see how far my aunt has deteriorated and how easily confused she can be. It's a hard thing to say, but I really hope she passes soon. She has zero quality of life and it would be for the best. God I hate saying stuff like that......

As of December 27 at 6pm, I hit 18 months on HRT. It's taken a very long time but I am finally catching more and more glimpses of Holly in the mirror which require second and even third glances to ensure I'm not hallucinating. I *still* feel physical changes are lacking but cannot deny they are happening, especially after apparently confusing my aunts.

So that was a summary of some major moments in 2015. It was a huge year, but 2016 will be even bigger as it will be Holly's year. I intend on going full-time this year and complete the coming out process while prepping for SRS among the myriad of other steps needed. Exactly when this is happening is still foggy, but it will happen. It has to.

I hope 2015 was a good year for everyone. And if it wasn't, I truly hope 2016 treats you better!
    Last edited by dreamer_2.0; 12-28-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Holly, It sounds like 2015 was a good year for you. Sometimes we don't realize how much we have done in a year until we write it down as you have. Happy 2016!!

Hufs, Bria

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I agree, Holly, you have come a long way and made a great deal of progress. Glad your sister hasn't burned her bridges. Have a great New Year.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Holly, that's a special year, and i'll be watching your 2016 story with great interest.

xxx Pamela
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Aspiring Member
    Thank you, ladies.

I see lots of positives in there Holly!! It looks like 2015 was good to you and here's hoping 2016 will be even better...

Megan

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Holly; fabulous progress and you should be very proud of yourself. This was clearly a pivotal transition year for you with clear waters ahead. 2016 should hopefully see things calm down and normalize a bit which I'm sure will be welcomed.

Here's to a great 2016!!!

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Sounds like a great year and hopefully an even better 2016. Happy new year!
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Aspiring Member
    Thank you also, ladies!

Danielle - It has been a good year, but it's not without its struggles. Transitioning felt impossible, just a dream (hence my nick), but this past year has shown me that it IS possible and that the various challenges I face can be overcome. It won't always be pretty, but it's possible nonetheless. You're going through your own struggles, probably feeling like you're in an impossible situation. It may seem hopeless right now living at home but you don't know what the next few years will look like. Focus on moving out and make your 2016 as good as my 2015! I'll be busy trying to do the same!

Holly
    I have been watching your progress. Congratulations on all your success! You are blossoming in front of us.
    Suzanne

Aspiring Member
    Thank you, Suzanne!!!

Holly,

Congratulations on your coming out!!! I wish you the very best for 2016!!!
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Wonderful news Holly!

18 months HRT is a fantastic achievement! Hold on tight to the rails because it sounds you are well on your way for a majical roller coaster ride!

If you need any advice on the SRS then don't be afraid to drop me a line!

Natasha xox

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    Holly,

Congratulations on your coming out!!!
    Thank you, Michelle! For the sake of clarification however, I am not completely out yet but getting closer and closer. I believe everyone important in my life knows but I haven't dropped the bomb on Facebook yet announcing Holly to the world and stepping into full-time. 2016 will be the year for all of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha TG View Post
    Wonderful news Holly!

If you need any advice on the SRS then don't be afraid to drop me a line!

Natasha xox
    Thank you, Natasha! SRS is still at least a year down the road for me, so while I appreciate your offer, it will be a while before I'm looking for advice there. Having said that, don't stray too far, k?

If GCS is at least a year away. The time to research is now. Most surgeons have at least a year wait after the consult. In some cases even longer.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Aspiring Member
    I see. That is unfortunately a very good point and research probably should begin soonish. Having said that, I believe I should be focusing on other goals currently, like going full-time.

Thank you for your comment, Stefan.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I definitely think you are right to take things one step at a time, but a little forward planning cannot hurt in this respect.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Holly;

Not sure the process and gates in your province .... For me in Ontario I just got my camH letter indicating 18-20 months until initial consult so better to queue the process up as early as possible. If you intend to take the self financed path then get to full time all time and mentally ready to pull that trigger with your dr/endo. I've just done that myself and I was literally shaking for several hours after leaving the Drs office. My view was just saying "it's time" was very substantial milestone in my transition as it acknowledged getting over the crest of the hill and headed down the side of completeness.

2016 will definitely be quite a year for you.

Best wishes... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

From doing my own search here in the states, I know that a lot of states require living one year full-time before being able to undergo GRS.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Aspiring Member
    Correct, MissDanielle, it's like that in Canada as well which is why full-time should be a priority. I could theoretically do it tomorrow if I wanted but I'm not ready yet. One step at a time.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Holly,

It seems like the steps you have paved in 2015 will hold you in good stead for 2016 "the year of Holly" .

Cheers

Marcelle

Nice to see that you've made such progress!

One suggestion. If you're contemplating GRS you should find out the surgeon's requirement for hair removal "down there." Even if your GRS is delayed, you can use the time profitably in getting the hair taken care of. Better not to be racing down to the wire with the electro!