Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I tell my daughter?

Do I tell my daughter?

Hello, First off let me say my daughter is 24 and I have been married for just as long. When I first was married my need to crossdress was virtually non existing. Years later the urges became stronger each year. Now it is so difficult to live with this secret as most of us know. This site alone is often a great help.
    Years ago when joining this forum I had intentions on telling my wife which has never happened. Now over the past few years my daughter has become friends with a few people like us. Good news is my daughter constantly defends them. She has researched so much about it just like I have. Bad news is most of her disagreements are with my wife. I truly believe my daughter would be very understanding. The only thing holding me back is the fact I don't think it would be fair to place the burden on her as well. It's already difficult for me keeping this a secret. On a lighter note it's kind of funny some of the things she tells me. Apparently she is more comfortable speaking to me about transgendered issues. At times serious issues but the other day I was floored as she mentioned how crossdressers use lipstick to cover beard shadow. I wanted to say no kidding

Thanks for taking the time to read this and Happy Holidays to All!

Jeanna

Sounds like she will be understanding. My SIL's dad is a CD so she has an idea of where I am coming from on things although she will never fully understand. She's helping my brother come to terms with my being his big sister.

Banned Read only
    My kids (26 and 19) are VERY open minded and both know but my circumstances are kinda unique and I came out slowly (like one piece of clothing at a time) over the course of about 10 months...if that helps?

About a year ago my daughter 23 was using my computer and somehow a head shot photo of me in full makeup and wig opened on the screen.

I immediately reached over and hit the quit command.

She rolled her eyes and said "Daaaaaaaaad" and left the room.

We never spoke of it again.

If you intend to tell your Daughter but not your wife, I think that might be an issue. I know my wife would be furious. It would mean the secret has a wider net and your wife is more out of the loop. Just my opinion...
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    Both my daughters have known since they were in high school. They are 40 and 37 respectively. They have been supportive without seeming to oppose my wife is basicly at DADT. My son stands with my wife on the subject. He's 43.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Hi Jeanna,

I think my first thought is simply this. If your wife finds out about your CDing at a later date and then becomes aware of your daughter's prior knowledge, a certain amount of excrement is sure to hit proverbial the fan. Unless of course you're separated from your wife, in which case you are clear to do as you will.

Other than that, you simply risk the usual fact that the reveal can go either way. Some level of acceptance or outright rejection. Is anything to be gained from telling her or is it that you would simply just like to? I totally understand those feelings, 'been there, seen it, done it' as they say. My only thought is the invidious position that you could place your daughter in, should you tell her before telling your wife.

Becky
    Last edited by reb.femme; 12-26-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy-Somthing View Post
    She rolled her eyes and said "Daaaaaaaaad" and left the room.
    19 yr old daughter: 'Daddddy' (equivalent to 'Mommmmy'), I love that lipstick!! 😃

Yah, close but not empirically confirmed 😉 ?

Wife first

Wrong question. Should be how do I tell wife. The most intimate thoughts, feelings and view of the world need to be primary shared with wife. Next circle is family. I can understand that desire to get out and share with the second circle, but if not with the first circle, you are just inviting headaches and heart aches.

Different families have different dynamics, I think the only one who can answer this is you.

One thought: What if you sat your wife and daughter down at the same time and had the discussion? Your daughter is already supportive and might be a good influence in this situation.

Now, this isn't quite a suggestion. As Jasmine said, your family dynamics may not be what we think.

One thing that I found interesting with my daughters is that the one who was most tied into the LGBT community took a bit more time to get used to the femme me. I think that sometimes it is easier to embrace new ideas with the general public than with a close family member. She is now fine with Eryn, but it took a little adjustment time.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

3 of my 4 daughters know, and even help me with make up and clothing.
    At least they know the real me
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I support the comment of Denise in post #10. The wife needs to be the priority. About 18 years ago my wife needed to be told about Sarah (another story) and after much heart ache and stress, we have come to work with agreement how we deal with my crossdressing and Sarah. It is mostly a DADT arrangement. The concession I made was to keep this from our daughter who is a certified "daddy's girl" since the early years. Now she is a successful, stylish career girl in her 30s with a very open, accepting personality. I know in my heart that this all would be fine with her, but a need to keep that promise with my wife for now.
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

I'm in almost the exact same situation as Jeanna. My son is in his early 20s, is very open minded and has friends like us. He is very energetic in defending everyone's rights but my spouse is quite the opposite. While I would agree the wife should be the first, it is an issue as you have someone very close to you who would be supportive and understanding yet there is a real risk they would tell (most likely inadvertently) the spouse. To date I can't take the risk so haven't told my son. I get it Jeanna, it is a tough situation.

The only reason I would tell my daughter first would be to get her help with telling her mom. Like they said above all families are different. It could be better to get daughter's advice on how to explain it to mom.

Of course, if daughter found out by accident, you would have to tell her. Say, your daughter saw forgotten eyeliner or such, you would have to tell daughter before mom. Just saying

Hi Jean, My daughters are both lesbein so my oldest said to me when she found out was great Dad now we can go to gay bars together. Wife disproved, we are devorced, an my daughters an I have had good relationship with me as a C D. JO

First, why have you not told your wife?
    Telling your daughter first is a double-edged sword - the message it gives is that you trust her more than your wife - not something you want to unintentionally say.
    Having said that, it might be she knows, they both know, and she's been showing you its okay to come out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Would telling your daughter help you in having " the talk " with your wife? Would the acceptance & support of your daughter lessen the blow & trauma that most spouses feel upon digesting the news? You have a lot of variables to consider & weigh before marching off to have the talk. Your need to be feminine is not going away... it is a life long blessing or curse dependent upon ones outlook. Only you can answer your questions , but be prepared for all possible outcomes. I truly truly truly wish you happiness with what ever decision you make & whatever outcome results.

Banned Read only
    j:

To me, the model for coming out is what you will often find in the LGB part of the community. Some of the important points are:

• Coming out is not a one-time process. For everyone you know, or come in contact with, there should be a conscious thought process about coming out to them or not. Some decisions may be very quick, but others may require careful thought.
    • Does the Upside outweigh the Downside?
    • When you come out, you control the narrative. This is significant because it is a chance to convey how it sits for you, what's important to you, etc. You get to tell your story in your own words.
    • If there is a possibility that circumstances may force your hand, get in front of it. It relates to controlling the narrative because would you rather have your information conveyed by gossip or by your own words?
    • If you need confidentiality from someone that you want to tell, how likely is that?
    • There is a quote from Rachel Maddow that has always resonated with me: "No one can insult you by telling you what you have already told them.".

DeeAnn

While you might get some gratification and acceptance by telling your daughter, I agree with the other girls here who advise against it. Your marriage, as long as you remain in it, is your primary relationship, and your secret crossdressing is not an ideal situation, as you well know. You would make it even worse if you were to tell the daughter whom you share with that wife, without telling your wife first. Try to put yourself in your wife's shoes: wouldn't it feel like a slap in the face if your spouse shared such a sexually charged truth with your son or daughter without telling you first?

Oh dear ... I just caught my own unintentional pun: "put yourself in your wife's shoes." You've probably already tried that ... or wished you could fit into them. My point is, if your marriage is important to you, you need to make sure your wife knows she comes first for you.

Seeing possible signs in two of my son's of likewise interest I decided to talk with them about myself (wife has known for years and they are both in their early 30's). The second oldest shaves his legs and likes pink but that appears to be it. The oldest enjoys Drag Shows and is very LGBT friendly, but also has no further interest. What really amazed me was that I later learned son number 3 told the oldest and I haven't talked with him yet. Anyway, tell my daughter? Never! She is just to close minded. You are the one that knows your family best, but if there is not a reason to tell them, I recommend against it... All of the advise given is good!

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Thank you girls for all the replies and excellent advice. I kept thinking about how it would effect my daughter...worrying about her but yes it will devastate my wife further down the road and by no means do I want that to ever happen. Eventually I need to tell her but for now I think my secret is staying right here

I see some of the comments above stating that by telling the daughter one may send the message to the SO that they trust the daughter more. I believe that some people probably do trust their daughter or son or other third party more to listen and react more maturely than their SO will. The trust I am talking about is the one where you can expect that the other person will give your conversation due respect and care and not fly off the handle at you. I think that is a very good message to sometimes send when it is true, and it may be true in a lot more relationships than most are willing to admit. From what I have read in the forum over time, that is probably as good a reason as any to tell a daughter, if the need or desire arises. As others have said above, it can also work in both parties favor when there is an intermediary that can help get the message across to the unknowing party. When that third party is also family there may even be a better chance for good results.

There is nothing wrong to say that you trust someone else more with a specific fact than you trust the SO. Trust needs to be earned, and some people that had trust can lose it because of their own previous actions and reactions. Based on many of the reactions from SO's here, unreasonable, hard to believe, over the top, threatening, etc., why would one want to tell someone like that if they had any inkling that the SO would react that way? Why not solicit help? That is where a cool headed third party can come in. These types of SO's in effect have lost the some of their stereotypical spousal right to know if they cannot listen and respond with a cool and reasoned head. They are the ones that may have instilled fear when they should be nurturing a safe haven to share what needs to be shared.

There are many types of fear, and that type of SO can create unnecessary fear in others when it comes to sharing or revealing important delicate and sensitive information to them. Look at your own children who many times feel more comfortable telling a friend of theirs or yours about something that you should know. Hell, we probably did that growing up ourselves leaving our parents in the dark when they should have been involved. Not all families are perfect and good open communication is one of the hardest things for people to master when in a relationship whether with a partner or a family member. The unreasonable person tends to assign fault to others when in fact the fault is partly attributable right back to them. If they had been more reasonable and understanding about other things in the past it wouldn't be so hard to tell them a truth that they should know now. I am not saying that this is your situation Jeannan. Only you know what that is. But if I was in a similar situation, which I may be in the future, and I felt that telling my daughter or other family member first would help in the long run, then I would seriously consider that option.

Don't forget the 'not in my backyard' issue. There are a whole lot of people who are quite tolerant of the rest of the world doing as they please, but when it suddenly hits close to home, and it's one of THEIR family, everything changes. Next time daughter speaks about it, you might want to ask her how she'd feel if she found out a guy she was dating/engaged/married to enjoyed crossdressing.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.