Thread: Recycling unwanted stuff

Recycling unwanted stuff

While poking around on Craigslist yesterday I came across a post written by a college kid looking for somebody to help dress him. I wasn't interested in playing dress up but purged a bunch unwanted items and gave them to the kid. He got a nice little collection of stuff (dresses & wigs) that would fit him perfectly. At one point last year I wanted to go more conservative but realized I only get dressed for clubs or dates. I only want to keep 5 outfits of sexy stuff (I've said that before). I enjoyed helping the kid and he was very appreciative.
    Kate

Reality Check
    That's fine. I give my unwanted clothing to charities that distribute it directly to people who need clothing so they can get or keep a job and be productive members of society. Just a few days ago I was with a friend who was moving and we took a load of stuff to the Salvation Army. It saddened me to see them bundling clothing to be sold for rags. Goodwill does this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    It saddened me to see them bundling clothing to be sold for rags. Goodwill does this as well.
    Yes, this is a sad fact about clothing donations. They make money on rags instead of distributing the clothing to those in need.
    Kate

My wife and I are "regular" donators. I donate directly to the second hand stores where the money goes to charities. I have seen the stuff I have donated on the racks so I know it isn't being thrown away. I won't put clothing into those donation bins after witnessing people "hooking" the stuff and pulling it out at night, only to keep the quality stuff in order to resell it on-line. I suppose if we couldn't donate to a place like that then maybe a vintage for profit would be better?

Our CD group has an annual clothing exchange party. We all go through out closets, pull out the things we don't want, and fill a member's garage with them. Then we all get to "go shopping!" The price of any item is a donation to the club. All leftover clothing is donated to a women's shelter.

Now, I have no qualms about the charity doing whatever is the most useful to them with the clothing. The sheer quantity of clothing donated pretty much guarantees that some of it will end up not being reused as clothing. Some of it is so far out of date or worn that I would do the same.

One modern practice that I definitely dislike is the culling out of the really good stuff, like designer clothes, handbags and shoes, and selling them wholesale to vintage boutiques or on auction sites. It is their right to do this if it nets them more money, but it has pretty much made "treasure hunting" at the thrift store a thing of the past. I visit much less often than I used to.

If you live in California, Florida, or Ohio, you might consider donating to Out of the Closet, where the proceeds go to LGBT medical care.

http://outofthecloset.org/
    Last edited by Eryn; 01-02-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I donate to the churches around. Usually.I'll wait and go buy alot of kids clothes also and some sneakers or boots also. They know who I am and are very greatfull for it. The thrift stores around here sometimes put the clothing up for sale if they have room. If not I've seen it baled for rags also.

Eryn,
    Thanks for the link. I have been going through clothes and have some to donate. I will be taking it there now.

We have a place in Auburn that gives our donations to people at no charge. That's where ours go.
    Angie

Platinum Member
    Hi Kate, That was a wonderful gesture on your part, I like to donate to the Saint Vincent DePaul Society
    that will park a truck at the church. ~~......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!