Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you practice Fire Drills

To be fair to the OP, it has only been in the last couple of years that I have reached a comfort level that doesn't require "fire alarm" type nervous reactions when the doorbell rings or if my wife were to come home unexpectedly. Prior to that, all through my youth, teens, and adult life I would have jeans or sweatpants, oversized shirts and the like in "strategic" locations so I could get something quickly over whatever it was I was wearing if need be.
    Perhaps the real game changer was when my wife deeply and honestly (with no strings attached) said she does not care at all what any of the neighbors think, so I don't bother to change for the door anymore. I do have kids, but we are working together on letting them slowly know that this is part of me, so for now I would pull the fire alarm if need be, just for the wish not to be shocking to them. My wife also prefers not to see me dressed (at least she never has asked or indicated any particular curiousity) so I would likely try to change for her, although I won't hurt myself or clothing over it.

I am out to my wife, but she wants that part of me kept secret from her family and friends. She always calls or texts if she has a friend coming over. I have varying tactics depending on the level of dress, from having Levis or sweats laid out on the bed to having wipes ready to go for makeup removal and a place ready to stash my wig. Usually she gives me half an hour or more of advance warning, but she has one friend, a gay makeup artist (who I am not out to because my wife wants it that way) and he has a way of showing up on the spur of the moment when he has a job in town.

There are a couple of times when my wife has called telling me he is outside (thank God we have a privacy fence in front of the house) and I have had to shuck the wig, wipe off the lipstick, pull a sweatshirt and Levis over my top and leggings, and go greet him at the door.

Oh, well.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

My son and daughter know to text or call before showing up at our house. My wife's son and daughter live far enough away that they just don't show up either. I always have plenty of time to change if our children want to come over.
    As far as others, I just go to the bedroom and wait to see if I need to change real quick or just come back out later. I am just lucky to have a supportive wife where I don't have to hide it from her.

Banned Read only
    Judy,
    All my family know , I don't exclude them from the hose when I dress so it's up to them if they don't let me know they're calling.
    As for delivery drivers, I've answered the door to two now so no fire drill for them either anymore ! I don't do full makeup and wig around the house so, if there was a real fire it wouldn't take me that long to get back to drab !

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Judy,

My wife knew, but passed away a couple of years ago. I recently told my kids but none of them have seen me yet. I'm still nervous about that since my kids all have keys to the house. So I'm still jumpy when I hear a car door in the driveway and have a couple of options. But I'm getting tired of it all and am about ready to treat whoever comes to the door with whatever I happen to be wearing at the time they arrive. It seems now that it's only a matter of time anyway.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Platinum Member
    Hi Judy, My DA/DT Wife knows and tolerates it and if by chance she comes in while I'm dressed
    she looks the other way. ~~......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

At this time I do that my grandson is staying with us. When he go's I will have no need for fiire drills.
    Angie

Yes I have a "fire drill". Lots of times after my SO is asleep I will go down in the basement and get dressed. She is usually down for the count but sometimes our cats wake her and she feels the need to feed them in the middle of the night. So my ear is always tuned to the sound of the basement door opening and footsteps on the stairs. My drill is to turn off the lights in my downstairs office and while she is in the back room feeding the cats I perform my 5 minute transition. It is quite nerve-racking but, so far, I have not been discovered. Maybe someday I will come out to her but I just have no idea how well she would receive the idea after 15 years.

Hey Judy, what a great question, I don't do drills but have safety measures in place.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Nope. My close friends and family have known Jane for many years. I still change back to drab if they come home unexpectedly though. Old fashioned but I just feel I should be dressed drab to respect their feelings.
    Last edited by Jane G; 01-03-2016 at 05:41 AM.

If the house is really on fire, I'll run out naked if I have to. Anything less? I have a deadbolt on the front door, and the main door is locked too and I can hear someone coming in. I'll be out of the living room as soon as I hear a key in the deadbolt. If the key is working, then I'm pretty sure it's either a friend or the landlord, so I can just run in the bathroom and turn on the shower. Solves two things; clothes get hidden under the sink, and gives me time to get about removing any scent/nail polish/make up that I might have on.
    UPS/mailman etc? Screw em. All they do is run up and stick that nasty 'we missed you' sticker on the door and then run away; by the time I get up off the couch, they're back in their truck driving away.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I haven't had to in a long time. The sweatpants are a great idea. Back in the day I would wait until I knew I absolutely had my free time.

I've had to overdress once or twice in a hurry. Makeup wipes are a must. Also when I put on my nails, they usually take a long time to get off. And even then there's remnants a day later. Lee press-ons are a good alternative... but not as fun.

I just answer the door. Boy mode or gurl mode..makes no difference.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I feel really bad for you girls that have to do that.

I did fire drills in school and at my work places. A good conscientious family will practice them at home I guess but the bottom line is that if there is an actual fire, get your butt out of there dressed or not.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think the problem lies with relationships, not how not to get caught. I'm appalled that so many here have to hide.

I don't know that I practice fire drills. But I try to have an " escape plan" if an unexpected situation comes up. I can be in the safe zone in less than 2 minutes. Unless I am wearing full makeup in which case it take like 20 minutes to get to 100 % I can face the SO with conference level.
    But once or twice I have had unexpected car trouble and decent job in like 5 minutes so I wasn't changing a tire in 5" heels and. 6" skirt lol

I have always had an escape plan, I need it a lot less now days.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Once upon a time but not for some time now. My SO knows when I'm no where to be found or hears the closet door open what's going on. I wish I'd told her sooner. Kids don't show up inannounced so that's a nonissue also
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

I have practiced once or twice but now its just a matter of making sure that everything is staged so if I do have to bolt I'm not having to grab tons of stuff. A shared google calendar helps to so I know how much time I have as it corresponds to my SO's schedule.

My wife knows so not a problem at home. When I go out I always take a change of clothes. Usually something loose on the top and bottom like sweats, large shirt etc. Makes it easier to change quickly or pull over femme clothes. Makeup remover is also a plus. I have a gym bag with toiletries in it also.

No 'fire drills' for me nowadays either. Had too many close calls when a teenager! Like Katey, I do my dressing up when safely away from home. When 'home alone' I might put on some makeup and jewellery but only if I know exactly where my wife is and how long she's going to be (preferably because I'll be collecting her!). These 'fire drills' only cause premature ageing - we can all do without that.

PS Katey, I like the Batpole idea. Wallace & Gromit came up with something similar.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    ha ha...fire drills..thats funny.... if i am spending the day inside the closet and there is a possibility of mom coming home early I set up an "escape pod" in the bathroom before I get ready. I will set up a set up a change of clothes ( guy) and a towel in the bathroom. If I hear mom come home early I hop in the bathroom, lock the door, turn on the water, hop in the shower, wash my face, and hop out with my clothes wraped in an extra towel looking surprised my mother is home so early. I also enforce a "clean as you go" policy as I am getting ready so there is no evidence sitting out & about in case this happens LOL...xoxo

I had a courier turn up one morning I was home. Luckily it was winter, so pulled up some trackpants over my stockings and put a jumper on before answering the door.