Thread: Such a strange hurtle to cross

Such a strange hurtle to cross

So yesterday I bought a cheap pair of canvas flats from Payless. I never imagined they could make me so happy. Not my normal boot or heal, just a cheap, knocking around flat.

Silver Member
    It isn't really the shoes, though, is it? It's more like the feeling of freedom of just getting out there and buying what YOU really want. Congratulations.

Aspiring Member
    Their are alot of hurdles out there,but am glad to hear your happy over coming one. It's a great feeling isn't it

I was talking to another girl about Payless earlier this evening. She was talking about ordering online, and I said forget that, it is much more satisfying to go in and try them on. And the SAs there have always been very helpful. Many of my shoes come from there.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Carrie, when I first began dressing? A pair of beat up nylons made me happy! Now, after collecting a semi trailer of ladies things? Nylons still make me happy, but not to the same degree.

Just have fun with it!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have bought my share of footwear from Payless, online and craigslist but what I like to know is how did you go about getting the right size?

Thanks all. I think its the difference of buying something for comfort rather than show. April - Truthfully? I'm only guessing size, knowing that womens sizing is typically 2 sizes larger than mens.

Banned Read only
    I wish I could experience that feeling, but my size 12 mens feet make it impossible to buy pretty shoes in any store I've ever been to. Amazon is an option, but I have to avoid the family receiving the package. The best I can do now is just some bright red chuck Taylor's.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilR View Post
    I have bought my share of footwear from Payless, online and craigslist but what I like to know is how did you go about getting the right size?
    Walk into the store, pick out a pair and try them on. I think someone mentioned this but the rule of thumb is, your women's size is your men's size plus two. Size ten men's shoes = size twelve woman's shoes. This is a rough starting point and it doesn't hold true for every size, style or foot. I wear an eleven in men's shoes and a twelve wide in woman's. Most men would probably do best with a "wide" in whatever size of woman's shoe.

For those "fraidy cats" among us, most of the Payless stores are laid out so the large women's shoes are on the same aisle as the large men's shoes but on the other side. That way you can pretend to be looking at men's shoes but actually be looking at women's shoes.

Really though, in my experience, as long as there are not a bunch of kids or teenage girls hanging around, you can just walk in and try on shoes without a problem. The sales person will help or not, your preference. And if you're afraid your neighbor or preacher might see you, go to another town where people don't know you.

When I bought my shoes I got them in size 11 and a few in 10. But in men's my size ranges from 9 1/2 to 10 1/2. So a few felt a little big and others tight. Im guessing to get the right fitting I should account for wide. And I am temped to try them on before I buy, more likely on the other side of town.