Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R. I. P. David Bowie

R. I. P. David Bowie

I learned this morning that David Bowie passed from his cancer. Though I never idolized Bowie, I was impressed by his music and by his performance characters. He seemed to express a deep knowlege of just how diverse the human being is, especially from a gender perspective.
    May he rest in peace.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Silver Member
    Thanks Heidi. I hadn't heard. I liked some of his music as well, especially Major Tom. He deserves mention on a cross dressing forum. Helped make glam a little more cool and acceptable.

I like him more and more as I get older. As someone said this morning, he didn't just reflect change, he made it happen.

RIP indeed.

I liked most of his music. He was a true legend and i was upset when I found out. RIP Bowie
    Ellie May 😘

I think Bowie may have seen what is human just a little clearer than most of us. Thanks David.

Vale

Vale, that is exactly how I feel about Bowie, too. Thank you for expressing it so eloquently.

Last Monday while driving to work I heard on the radio that Bowie had a new album coming out on Friday (Jan 8).
    One week later they say he's died of cancer and are memorializing. I was shocked!
    I never had the opportunity to see him live, but I own and love several of his albums. I'll miss David Bowie dearly.
    - Jacky ^_^/

He certainly was an icon in my youth days.

RIP to a fantastic artist...

Obviously for the music, the theatrical aspect of his shows and forward-looking gender-bending, but a fine actor too.

The release of the album seems to have been planned to coincide with his fate - the video for the single 'Lazarus' has one interesting prop in it for me:

DB1.JPG

A single Mary Jane shoe..? Was this a nod to his bi-gender nature... be intriguing to think so...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    That's really sad news. Speaking of versatility, I remember him doing a Christmas TV special with Bing Crosby, of all people.

Carry on people, carry on...

DeeAnn

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Watching him as Ziggy Stardust still makes me deeply envious. Oh, those cheekbones.

RIP and good on yer.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    A true rocker that not only had talent but a great songwriter,performer and actor.
    I love his whole catalog of work and sad he passed away.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    So sad. I knew he was getting older, but for some reason he always sort of registered as immortal in my mind. I think because he was simply always fresh. He never did anything old or tired, he was perpetually on the bleeding edge. And he just never, ever stopped. Spent the last year's of his life making one last album, I mean. ... of all the ways to go out, that's how to do it.

We lost a great one.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

ashes to ashes

a true genius in his field

RIP

It's truly a sad day. Farewell to one of rock's all time greats.
    Stay inspired
    Amy

I don't know if this was released as a single in America, but it was quite a big hit in the UK in 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhFyWEMlD4
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Bowie was one of those artists who you didn't realise had had so many hits until they start to play them on the radio in tribute.

One thing that saddened /annoyed me was I was in a supemarket today in the music isle. There were all the Bowie past CD's. Good grief, he's hardly cold and they're cashing in.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

My favorite David Bowie song. I'll never forget that Quentin Tarantino re-used it for "Inglourious Basterds."

Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Bowie was always one of my heroes - I loved his music, his artistry and his attitude to life. I was really upset when I heard and I almost crashed my car as a result.

I first became aware of him when I saw Labyrinth as a kid. I remember wanting to be Sarah in her ballroom dance scene dancing with Bowie as Jareth. So yeah, the music and theatricality aside you could say he was a big influence on me all my life. Rest in peace sir.

Platinum Member
    Hi Heidi, I became a fan of David Bowie back in the 80s' on MTV and I still watch VH1 Classics. ~~......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Read only
    I agree Heidi, he actually made being 'different' cool, and an amazing career and legacy! I was never a fan per se but always had a ton of respect.

Rebel, Rebel. Yup, I can identify. RIP David.

Was very sad to hear about it this morning. An amazing artist, in my top ten for sure. Even in death he's a trail blazer

R.I.P to a true rock legend and a true trailblazer.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    The release of the album seems to have been planned to coincide with his fate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post
    Spent the last year's of his life making one last album, I mean. ... of all the ways to go out, that's how to do it.
    Exactly, David Bowie managed to make his death one last absolutely artistic statement. Blackstar is an amazing album, a final gift for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    A true rocker that not only had talent but a great songwriter,performer and actor.
    I love his whole catalog of work and sad he passed away.
    I totally agree. I too have his entire catalogue and have never had an artist's passing affect me in such a profound way. It wasn't as if he was old and died suddenly. He demonstrated a vitality with Blackstar which despite the clear-as-day meanings that we can now see in the music (and the above referenced Lazarus video) makes his death that much more shocking and tragic.

RIP to a true legend.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

my wife and i played his albums all last night...singing loudly along with the familiar lyrics.

wonderful photo of him on the cover of the FT this morning.