Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Where am I going to wear this?"

Banned Read only

"Where am I going to wear this?"

This is the question my wife told me to ask myself when I first started buying things after coming out to her about 5 years ago. Of course, as a newly released-from-the-closet cross dresser I bought too much, too often and discarded so much (always to 2nd hand stores). I think this is a really common phase for cross dressers. As is hoarding of clothes. Somehow clothes become trophies.

I haven't been in that mode for some time but as I was culling out my closet, something I do three times a year, I started to think about what my wife told me to ask myself years ago. "Where will I wear this?" it's a great equalizer. All of the things I removed I had worn planty of times. I don't think more is the answer, but better is. One thing you can wear many times. So now, when I feel like a change up, I head to Rent the Runway, otherwise, I ask myself the question.

So, do you ask the question or is it more of a, "screw it, I want new stuff in my closet"? And if the latter, do you ever ask yourself, "why did I buy that?"

You're describing my attitude towards clothes buying, Jen! I will always skip the low end stuff and wait for big sales on the better made and designed stuff. I also have a favorite consignment shop I go to when I want to find a well cared for upscale item or two. I just did a closet inventory and kept nearly all of it as they are well made basic items I will wear several times.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Honestly, I'm still in the I-need-to-buy-more-clothes phase since I'm just re-entering the CD world after denying that facet of my for years. And yes, I do ask myself why I bought something.
    stefanilara.wordpress.com
    A Girl in disguise

That is a great question Jennifer, and I always include that thought process in my purchase. The other question I ask is what outfit will this go with or how can I match it with other things I already own? I don't have the room yet to have too many 1-off items. I like to mix and match and coordinate whenever possible.

I think the process of planning what will go with a proposed purchase is a good way to keep buying in check (some what)

I have many things in my closet that I have not worn in a long time. This is because when I first started dressing en femme, I was buying stuff all the time. Back then there was just an excitement in buy femme clothing. I was in what we would say is the pink fog.

Since then I have started to develop a style. It used to be I did not have a style so I bought many different things. So now, I ask myself where will I wear it, does it fit my style. It used to be I would buy clothes just for the purpose of buying them. Basically my approach now to buying femme clothes is the same approach I had to buying male clothes. So this has resulted in me cutting back in buying femme clothes.

Also I now view myself as being trans, and not as a crossdresser. So now it is not just about the clothes any more. This has also cut down on me buying femme clothes.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Hi Jenn, I have been through the "more is better" phase. Now I am like you, If I can't put it my closet and wear it on a daily basis I dont waste the money. I would rather buy a couple of nice, more expensive things than just a bunch of stuff just to know I have it.
    Erica

Hi Jenn,

Yes, been there, done that! You've made a great point -- I wonder if all of us when starting out just bought anything as long as it was female, then as we "grow up" start looking more carefully at what we have and what we wear. We've already gone through Round One of GoodWill donations, and I still have stuff I've never worn out of the closet. Part of it may be figuring out just what our personal styles are.

But then again, what girl doesn't go through phases like this??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I still sometime go out and buy something new just for the hell of it. I could ask myself the "where will you ever wear this?" question a thousand times and get the same answer..probably right here in my house considering the rare times I go out dressed. Still it's fun to have a few 'dressy-dresses' just to get dolled up once in a while.

I sometimes make the mistake of equating a worthwhile purchase on how much I wear it out & about, giving no value towards how much I might wear something within the confines of my own home. The problem with this is that 2015 wasn't a particular great year for getting out & about.

As such, I ended 2015 with a "resolution" NOT to buy anything during 2016. My closet needs nothing. Although managed to break this almost immediately, I am going to do my best to stay the course. Hopefully the angel on my shoulder will ask "do you really need this?" which is kind of the same thing as "where am I going to wear this?"

So where am I going to wear _____? Hopefully out & about this year more than the last. Everything I own is fair game. The only thing I lack is enough days to give all of the outfit combinations a day in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Stevens View Post
    You're describing my attitude towards clothes buying, Jen! I will always skip the low end stuff and wait for big sales on the better made and designed stuff.
    I have to give you a shout-out Heidi as this is exactly my POV as well.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Banned Read only
    Sara, my wife told me that I actually HAVE TO buy things throughout the year for seasonal and trend changes. Funny she'd say that to a cross dresser! But I think she's right. One great piece that can bring 4 others to life, so to say. But, like you, I don't get out enough to wear out my clothes so buying has to be strategic for me. If I come across that perfect, timeless LBD, I'd buy it. For the really dressy stuff or trying a really different dress, it's RTR!

Oh yes... I bought everything and everything when I first started dressing.. both for the thrill of being out shopping and the and the misguided belief that I would look like the models (or at least more femme) in the clothes they were wearing. Now I look at shoes/clothes and see how practical things would look on my body shape and to make sure its something comfortable and I like it. I still pick out special occasion items to wear but its no longer the nervous rush to get something before someone sees me. I like to take my time and think about a purchase.

I also agree about waiting for nice items to go on sale instead of picking up the cheapie things now too

Banned Read only
    This morning I just finished updating my word document of dresses i own. It's now 131. I have a picture from my eBay and on-line purchases in a folder. Each is numbered and entered on a word document as to label, description and size. I know I will never hang them in a closet. I know it is impossible to wear 131 dresses in a reasonable period of time. My wife knows I am a cross dresser. We share the same size with some labels. I'm sure she'd just fall over. Forget that I have over 400 full slips.

The answer to your question is "retail therapy." I also buy military plastic models that I intend to build before I pass on from this world. Will I get to them? Probably not, but, there more of a chance I'll build the 75-100 models than wear 131 dresses...and counting. Forget the slips. I do go to see a counselor and belong to a support group for issues unrelated to cross dressing. I've discussed with the counselor that I seem to buy models when under stress. She calls it "retail therapy." It's can be an outlet to indulge myself when I need to the comfort of something I enjoy. I enjoy appearing as a woman because it helps avoid certain aspects of prior life events that were not enjoyable. My counseling is free, but, I think it would be less costly to buy dresses than pay a counselor and still buy dresses.

Yep, I bought another six dresses over the Christmas break.

A while ago I had already decided that I had to love anything I bought. Not just ok - it had to be near-perfect. This worked well and I'm at the point where I'm not buying anything anymore although I reserve the right to purchase something if it happens to be absolutely amazing. The trouble with women's clothes is that there is always something nice to be had so you just have to stand firm.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've gone thru various stages or phases where my shopping has reflected my mindset at the time rather than what would be good in my closet. So yes, I did have a lot of very "girly" things in there that didn't reflect my size, age or willingness to step outside the house. For the last couple of years now I've been trying to use exactly that question, "Where will I wear that?" before I buy something. The thing is when it's a semi-casual top, it can be worn anywhere these days, so now I've got more than I should have. The magic thing was when I hit "critical mass" in tops, skirts and pants and everything I bought managed to create several new options (that I'll never get a chance to wear) and part of the reward in shopping was to see what it did to my closet. I've been attempting to cut back and have even cleaned a lot of things out of the closet over the last few months. I've taken a lot to the local thrift shops and it's time to do it again.

I have been knocking down some barriers recently and feel less constrained than I have before, willing to get out and do things en femme. Unfortunately that corresponded with me breaking my foot and limiting my ability to get out. Spring will be a new season for Sarah and it will be a good time to evaluate what's in the closet that can be an answer for "Where will you wear that?"
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I often buy things for the thrill of shopping, especially when I have not been able to dress for a long time.
    Also many times I just want to try something on when I get home just to see how it looks and feels.
    Your post is timely, as I am about to do a purge in the next few weeks.
    Have fun!
    Di

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    In the beginning I didn't have much, so if it fit and I kinda liked it I bought it. As long as it wasn't expensive. Way more resale than new but still a lot of new. And a LOT of resale. I accumulated a great selection. It took three years.

Now I am at a point where I am saying I won't buy anything more unless it is exceptional, that I have enough now. But I still go to Goodwill (GWs) and I still find really great stuff. Like a silver skirt suit that I bought last night for $5.99. It needs buttons as 1 of 3 is missing. Otherwise it is fabulous and very different from anything I have. A silver summer weight somewhat dressy skirt suit. Fits perfectly except I will have to shorten the skirt as it is about four inches below my knees. It will take me a couple of hours to shorten the outer layer and the liner. It really is two skirts to shorten. The buttons will take fifteen minutes.

I LOVE the clothes and the incredible variety. Most of my stuff came from GWs. $5.99 for dresses, $7.99 for skirt suits, $2.99 -3.99 for skirts, occasionally more. The new and designer stuff I bought from GWs can be double the price. But most of my GW stuff falls in the lower end. Yes I have about 5% of my stash that I bought new from Macys, Kohls, Burlington, and the like. I am MUCH happier with the GWs stuff because of the uniqueness and low cost. Unusual without the guilt. I really talk to myself before I buy anything new. The standards are WAY higher.

Now I look at each item, resale and even more so new, and say to myself, do I need it, will I wear it, do I have other items that work with it, like shoes, purse, bling. So the incoming has slowed down a lot.

I feel so very fortunate to have a great wardrobe selection.

But now I must raise the standards because I may soon get to a point where I have so much that it will take me years to wear it all.

SUCH FUN!
    Billie
    Last edited by BillieAnneJean; 01-15-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Nope. I never ask myself that question cause I know someday I will need that special dress. Maybe not in the near future but I know I will, it might be a year down the road but I have it.

Similar to Angela, (perhaps because of her ) I've become much more selective about what I buy. Unlike Angela, I rarely get out, but that doesn't deter me from being selective as I build my wardrobe. For example, I had numerous opportunities to buy cute blouses over the holidays but didn't purchase anything. A week or so ago I picked up two blouses that I felt were perfect for two of my skirts.

To answer your question Jenn, I do ask myself the "where will I wear it" question. Difference is I have to qualify my answer with a "someday" attached.

Karen

Absolutely,

I have bought items that looked great on the hangar and then put it away. When I took it out and put it on, it was like I was in some kind of psychotic state, stuff that was totally not age appropriate, or I bought something to match something else I bought earlier, only to determine that it clashes badly (the pitfalls of being color blind)

Off topic - is that the new wig in your aviator picture, I hope it is because it looks soooo great on you. It frames your face perfectly and I love the color and the style. Kudos to you wife on her good taste!

I have to admit that when I first started buying girl clothes, it was retail therapy. Now I can be more selective because I don't need as much therapy.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

When I first started buying clothes it was almost exclusively short skirts. Too short and a little trampy in the beginning. When my wife really started going out with me dressed she put a stop to that and really educated me on fashion. Now I love jeans and well put together modest clothing.

I went thought the buy everything phase. Stopped when I had no more hangar space. Then I discovered under the bed, vacuum collapsible clothing bags. Created some closet room, then quickly filled it again. Don't do that anymore, and twice a year I selectively purge and the local women's shelter celebrates their secret Santa packages.

Thus, I now buy the occasional seasonal item(s) in great moderation. My weakness is still cute skirts and cute panties, so those I slightly buy too many.

To all that I do not go out dressed, but I do want to look good for my wife and the audience in my head.
    Last edited by MissTee; 01-15-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Banned Read only
    "Where am i going to wear this?"

My first time dressing in over 20 yrs I'm pretty sure I looked like Marilyn Monroe took up prostitution...wonder why a city park maintenance guy was stalking me in his truck? 😦 Speaking to the point though, I did binge a little when I found LTS but now I'm settling down I'm more selective and I'm beginning to really think about "Where am I going to wear this?"

UPDATE... To heck with my so-called resolution. Two weeks in, yesterday I couldn't resist these Michael Kors shoes (tasteful leopard is one of my "shiny" triggers). $27 at Macy's, regular $120. But "where am I going to wear this???"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)