Thread: "You can't do that....

"You can't do that....

... if you want to be a girl!" To me that phrase sells the female gender short. I'm sure we've all heard this at one point or another. Even Caitlin mentioned it in her "I am Cait" show in reference to her sports cars and model helicopters.
    If a GG picks up a wrench, nobody bats an eye, but if a TG does same, it's all, "hey, you can't have it both ways!" I guess what I'm getting at is women do traditionally tasks/ hobbies, and if you seek to take it away from a T, it's also like telling GG's they shouldn't be doing it either.

funny moment from back when I was living on the other side...

Wife and I were going out. Nothing fancy, just out to dinner and a few other places. I got ready earlier and when she got home she got ready. She takes about an hour to get through the whole process so I went out to the garage...and finished dropping an engine in a car...wearing a mid-thigh dress and 3" heels. Mind you it was already hanging on the engine hoist and all I did was drop it in the hole. I didn't quit "playing with cars" just because I now wear a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Girl View Post
    If a GG picks up a wrench, nobody bats an eye, but if a TG does same, it's all, "hey, you can't have it both ways!"
    My experience is that a woman with a wrench in her hand is presumed to be incompetent, so I don't think "nobody bats an eye" is especially correct. Likewise I'm unclear about the TG who is picking up a wrench -- are you reliving a personal experience? Who is saying a TG can't be a tool user? I guess my overall reaction is, yes, you can't have it both ways because there aren't two ways -- you either know what you're doing with that wrench or you don't.

In my old life, and now in my new, I do all kinds of guy only stuff. When one of my friends calls, and says, 'C'mon over, and bring your tool box (an 8 ft. box trailer)' he usually means 'I need a garage built...right about...Here'. I put on my pink work boots and get to it. After work, I clean up pretty good, and he'd better be buying dinner.

I used to have that issue, I felt I couldnt do certain things or Id be mistaken for a man or women simply couldnt or were not allowed do certain things.
    But when you throw away the idea of people being pigeon holed by gender you'll discover everyone is quite remarkable at doing different things.

If the occasion suits Ill now proudly wear my football jersey while en femme, I can watch action films and enjoy music thats not traditionally aimed at women.

I keep prattling on about this but the new female jedi in the new star wars film is also a bit of a role model, showing that women are capable of being the heroes too and not exclusively made to be ''hot, sexy'' ones either.
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I agree with the OP, although the issue is not so much with "us" (as CD, TG or whatnot) but with equal rights and opportunities for women. Curiously however, I do wonder why GG's struggle so much with "men in skirts" (fill in your favorite phrase here), but get frustrated when men question their occupational choices as truckdrivers or "frumpy" look? This seems a clear issue of "you can't have it both ways," and both need to be addressed. Perhaps crossdressing and women as lumberjacks, etc. seem odd bedfellows, but in truth both need equal consideration as they are socially constructed negatives right now.

that's funny! I've been wondering about some of my heavy lifting/carrying work around our garden - must be 50-60' higher at the top than the bottom, and carrying compost/cement/sand/earth bags around it, let alone railway sleepers (over 100 of them) with large boobs has got me concerned. Iv'e already found i can't grip a heavy load close to my chest with a false pair on, what about the real ones?!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Agreed re Rey. Awesome role model for children.

Doesn't only apply here.. I've been dating the bi-scene for 15 years (in male mode) off and on.. you'd be surprised how many gay men are defensive about 'their' datingsites and are generally annoyed bi-guys hang out there and are able to 'play both teams'. Jealousy, potential competition, etc.

Do you get remarks mostly from males or females on this topic 5150?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion and of course I have mine.

When I read about girls who like put on a maid's outfit to do house work? I think, "fetish". Why else would changing your clothes make u want to something so boring?

I think the same thing when reading about a dresser who works on cars in dress and heels! Which there's absolutely nothing wrong with, by the way. I have my fantasies, too. They're just a bit more dramatic.

Dressers have been accused of over dressing before. Maybe this is part of that need? I can't imagine GG's working with greasy tools in anything but old jeans and T shirts!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have seen GG that are better mechanics then guys. Better at many things that are sometimes considered male only.
    We had a young lady working at our shop. She grabbed the keys to a customers diesel pick up. As she is walking out the bring it into the shop for an oil change. The customer comments to me, " Can she handle that" meaning his truck. I say" she has one bigger than yours, plus she works on bigger in the army guard." That shut him up real quick. That gal was the first to grab the diesel pick ups for oil changes. Over all the guys in the shop.
    We have had the other side of the coin too. A middle eastern gentleman had a hard time talking to out female service writer about tires. Later I told her she should have gotten our tire expert from the shop and gotten our female tech. It actually galls me that people treat others like that.

Kymmie
    Last edited by kymmieLorain; 01-20-2016 at 12:50 AM.
    Just your average harley riding crossdressing biker

Why be normal??????

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    My experience is that a woman with a wrench in her hand is presumed to be incompetent, so I don't think "nobody bats an eye" ...
    I ran a manufacturing shop in Houston for a few years, and a gg lesbian was my best employee on the shop floor... Many people have learned that GGs can do anything they want. I think the bigger issue for them now is the same as it is for us using a ladies room... They are invading the guys turf.... But many employers are pleased with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Drawer View Post
    I do wonder why GG's struggle so much with "men in skirts" (fill in your favorite phrase here), but get frustrated when men question their occupational choices
    It's because women depend upon men for protection; they don't want us ever feeling like we can assume their position on the status list. That hasn't changed. A single woman still feels (and is) quite vulnerable to assault/rape. As a guy, we're not 'allowed' to be afraid of anything, so we bury those feelings. Women feel entitled to our protection, even our sacrificing our own lives for theirs. Our society has always been that way.

'Women and children first'.........So they assume it has to be that way forever, because they've been told since birth that their lives are worth more than ours are; and they truly believe it. Just ask.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.