Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW DID YOU BEGIN YOUR FEMME WARDROBE? slowly OR overnight?

HOW DID YOU BEGIN YOUR FEMME WARDROBE? slowly OR overnight?

Hi girls,
    Kim from Chicago. New to the forum, actually one month anniversary is tomorrow (no flowers please )

One month ago my wife and I had a heart to heart. I received her support to bring Kim back into my life. Since then it been like a world wind of research (thanks CD forum & INTERNET AS A WHOLE) shopping, a few make up tutorials from my lovely wife, more conversation with her, more shopping etc...

I just came home today with two new pairs of pumps. Went to buy one and got two at Payless. Also picked up a nice sweater, and slacks at a local woman's resale shop (very nice sales ladies there). I also booked a makeover for my next outing date in February

Since I have the house to myself all day I decided to get EVERYTHING TOGETHER.
    That was my OMG moment. I have a lot more than I thought. If I stop shopping now I should be good for the next year! Between bra's, a body shaper, panties, hosiery, jewelry, make up, wig, and ALOT of shoes it blew my mind. I'll blame it on the pink fog and for having Kim locked away for 12 years.

SO MY QUESTION TO YOU IS: Did you go spree shopping like me OR were you able to aquire things slowly. Item by item?
    I think my emotions took over and created a shopaholic
    Have a great day!
    Kim

I started slowly. A skirt. A cute top. Then it snowballed. Over the last year I have filled a closet.

Peace....

Don't let the pink fog make you go crazy and get all kinds of stuff. First get a small list together of what you need. Get her to help you if you can. She can tell you what is important in the near future and probably help you get a stable wardrobe started. But like my girlfriend, she has the same expression but different style for going out. So, I have to buy a lot or her also. We go shopping and generally get two instead of one thing. One for her and one for me. Sometimes I get two to her one. Yep it can get expensive so plan it with her and go slowly.
    Part Time Girl

What you get depends on what you want to do. I ended up buying a lot of different things. Much of it was a waste. After some thinking, I decided I wanted to go out in public. This requires a certain purchasing strategy.

Banned Read only
    I hinted at this in my post about "Where will I wear that?" I think it's natural to want to build a wardrobe quickly after being in the closet but the the BEST thing to do is shop smartly. Buy things that have multiple uses and mix and match with other things you own. Sky-high stilettos look great, but how often will you wear them vs say a kitten heel or sandals or even wedges? So, to answer the question, I bought way too much way too fast when I first came out. I own none of those items today. None. With half the wardrobe today that I had 4 years ago, I have 500% more options.

Currently I buy things as I need them so for example I might want a new outfit or need new underwear or the other day I wanted some fitness gear.
    Other times Ill go for a browse to update what I have, especially when the new season trends start.
    And other times Ill get bored of my wardrobe, I have probably about 20-30 male t shirts but only about 10 tops for my female wardrobe and it gets a bit dull wearing the same one every other day.

When I first started off I bought a bit of everything, underwear, pyjamas, jeans, tops etc but I only do that now If I happen to see a lot of things I like which doesnt often happen.

Sarah
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I enjoy the anticipation of researching and buying quality items slowly one at a time, Nikki
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Kim... have some virtual flowers for your one month anni...

Now... Sara has nailed it for me:

Quote Originally Posted by sara.rafaela View Post
    What you get depends on what you want to do. ... This requires a certain purchasing strategy.
    So what do you want to do? Stay home - go out...? If you stay home do you like casual? Elegant? Maid? Elvira? Marilyn?

If you go out, where do you go? Club? Shopping? <yawn> Bowling? Moonlit walks around deserted reservoirs...? Ladies nights at 'The Whip & Gimp BDSM Club'...?

I dunno - but I think this ultimately all points towards SLOW development... if you can restrain yourself...

There's certainly a big difference between closet-wear and real world - even club-world... so take your time and enjoy the development. If you're going out you'll obviously need a minimum outfit for one occasion - but take your time and enjoy it. I can't imagine many of us who are not living 24/7 can truly justify spending hundreds of bucks on individual items, but some do... On the other hand, I am known for being cheap (in the nicest possible way.. ) and with selective purchases of clothing at thrift stores and economical bling from eBay and Amazon to glitz things up, you can still do this on a budget and look good with a little care...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Due mostly to my size, one piece(or item type) at a time. I'm a 2XL tall guy, so finding girl stuff that fits isn't guaranteed; the number of times I wanted a particular item and couldn't find anything remotely like it has occured hundreds of times in my life. When younger, I would buy one or two different things, go home and try them on. If lucky, one might fit. And I'd go back to buy more, and there wouldn't be any. Or they stopped making them. Same thing happened with catalog shopping. Get one, then out of stock permanently. So I started ordering stuff as soon as the catalog came in, with rush order. Then order lots more of the same in every color it came in if it fit. Got expensive, but I also got a wardrobe. Shoes still remain a problem, as wearing a size 16EE mens makes girl shoes virtually impossible. Thankfully, I'm into adolescent stuff (school uniforms, cheerleader outfits, etc.) so I buy white sneakers and decorate them with magic markers. Penny loafers go with some outfits too.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Big bang theory.

I started slowly and built up from there. Perging occasionally and rebuilding again.
    Di

I take it Slowly... mainly because of financial issues and lack of space. Plus something always gets lost when moving...

It's a 50 year work in progress. Right now, I'm working on the Imelda Marcos Shoe Challenge.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    My size makes it challenging, so I tend to buy items when I find a good deal in my size, especially shoes (size 14/15). Some things like pantyhose, I'll stock up to have enough on hand.

My initial crossdressing arsenal was literally obtained overnight, as in,
    shipped to me in a large box!

That scenario isn't very reproducible, though (and I'm realizing that that tale
    deserves a post of its own), so I'll contribute the following advice: DON'T
    begin with online shopping (which can lead to protracted, costly mistakes).
    Instead, start out by hitting thrift stores with a philosophy of fail-fast/fail-cheap.

Buying a bunch of low-cost items gives you a chance to quickly iterate a variety of
    garments and styles. Pick out some things that strike your fancy, then take them home
    and have fun in front of the mirror! If something doesn't fit you or meet your aesthetic
    needs, donate it right back to Goodwill! As your sense of fashion and sizing knowledge
    evolve, you'll be ready to pinpoint pricier, non-used items that meet your needs.

Sandy

this depends on your sense of "slow". Being a kid at heart, 5 boring minutes can be an aeon. So from one perspective it was a whirlwind of wardrobe emptying and filling over days to weeks to months - and erm, buying two new wardrobes to house the extra clothes - oops. Now I'm gradually filling out the range; but a girl needs a lot of clothes to create matching outfits to go out, compared to stay-at-home wear. From the other perspective, it's taken "forever".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Slowly I guess. It's still minimal. I am finding some lovely dresses on eBay though especially from the far east. Sure there's a bit to wait for delivery but they're so cheap and so far it's been worth it. I'm slowly building up through eBay. I just bought an underbra corset. I really hope it fits as I'm dying to find that perfect hourglass figure
    Gurlz they wanna have fu'hun. Oh gurlz just wanna have fu'hun x

I would suggest the speed of buying is related to disposable income, acceptance oh and most important space.

I am sure for some they slow down as the lack of closet space is a problem.

For myself it was a slow start but increased over time. I still don't go mad as I like to be sure I want the particular item first.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Definitely slowly at first - hosiery and lingerie, acquired by various devious means as well as legitimate ones!!! Followed by an odd item or two acquired in sales. Then at some point once Michelle acquired her own identity and began to want to be "out there" the rate of purchasing took off exponentially...

I have now reached a point where I really need to stop buying "bargains" or "nice to haves" - my wardrobe is full, my dresses overspill into my wife's wardrobe because she has long handing whereas as mine only has short hanging (for shirts, jackets, trousers and other such drab items!!!, it is a perpetual struggle to find drawer space, for lingerie and hosiery and sweaters and tops and... Then there are the shoes and boots and the wigs and the make-up and the bags and the jewellery and the falsies and the perfume - Michelle has overflowed into every available space!!!!!

Trying to attach a suitable mathematical representation of my wardrobe acquisitions....
    exponential curve.png

I think this will be followed by a vertical line back to the axis!!!!

Michelle
    xxx

Aspiring Member
    Slowly at first then the last ten years its been sporadic. Lets say I have a big walk in closet with two rods full of dresses skirts and topsa few evening gowns. Have three shelves full of purses,shoes wigs and a dresser full of my everyday work clothes. And a bedroom dresser full of lingerie and hose. Well I think I had better do some closet cleaning after posting this. Better cut down. Lol.

When I first started I was living with my mum so it was hard to dress or start a wardrobe. It was more a case of wearing her clothes. I would also wear my own tights under my trousers when I went to work. I was always an early bird at work so I would go round various female colleagues desks trying on their shoes. Like many I have had clothes and shoes etc chucked them all away and then felt the need to start again. It was not until I had my own flat that I began to get a decent wardrobe gradually. EBay charity shops and as I began to confidentiality go out buying new trying clothes on in shops. Nowadays if maria needs new clothes etc I either have my wife's cast offs which is cheaper or go out and shopping more fun but more expensive.

It's been slow. Certain things were bought and others cane as I opened up. Still a work in progress. As most of what I have is purple. There isn't much choice in my closet. I've been working on that. Searching Goodwill and sales racks. Blending it all together.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Mine has always expanded slowly except in my single days when my girlfriends would purge their wardrobes.

This became a problem as I now had to get rid of lovely things to make way for even lovelier things that I admired when my girlfriends owned them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Like a lot of girls (unfortunately) I have built mine up, slowly because I purge EVERYTHING.

I have had great outfits, breastforms, corsets, and heels. Amassed under a steady period of months and then tossed out after a night fully dressed in the town. Very frustrating process but for the last 3 years when I've gotten to the purge point I remember the money that goes into a CD wardrobe and can stop myself. I have a small but full wardrobe these days.

I have built my collection up slowly over the years. First acquiring through various means and then as I became more confident buying for my “girlfriend”, With the internet came an easy way to buy – but clothes would often not fit or not be what they looked like on the net. I now buy directly from the shops and always ask if I could please try them on. Sometimes I get some funny looks but rarely do I get rejected. I sometimes have a comment made something like “But they are female clothes.” Really, I didn’t notice!

I do read a common theme though – the old Guilty Purge. Like most here, I have been there done that – many, many times. How many dollars I must have discarded in senseless guilty purges.

I must confess about two months ago, I was close to the point again. I packed up my beautiful dresses and skirts, gorgeous high heels and sexy bras and panties into a box ready for the late night trip to a Charity Bin. Just as I was about to seal the box, I stopped and thought about the promise I made to myself to stop feeling guilty about a side of me that is actually good side of me.

I unpacked my clothes from the box and sorted them out as I went – some were dated, there was a pair of heels that was worn and a bra that was uncomfortable (bad buy that one!). I packed these items back into the box, I put on my make-up and repainted my nails, put on my favourite light tan leather skirt with a white blouse and off course put on white buckle-up 5 inch high heels. Grabbing my handbag I placed the box of unwanted staff in my car and drove to a Charity Bin.

As it was day time and not the dead of night, when I got back home I felt ecstatic. I had avoided a Guilty Purge, had gone out in public again dressed as should be and I had discarded some clothes to make way for new ones – I couldn’t wait to go shopping.
    Emily