Thread: Funny thing happened on the way to the wine

Funny thing happened on the way to the wine

I got to work at home today so was able to dress up as Kris all day. Fun! We needed just a few things at the grocery store so mid afternoon I got my list together, grabbed my purse, and was off to the store. All went well (though my fem side doesn't always kick in as I wander around the store sometimes looking for an item that I have passed by 3 times!), and I headed to the self-checkout.

My last item was a bottle of wine, and I knew the machine would flag it for store approval. Usually no big deal for a gal my age to get the automatic wave from the attendant. However today there was a little lady from India (just saying she was new) who felt like she needed to be very thorough. Instead of hitting her approval button and moving on, she walked over to me from her station and took the bottle to re-scan and asked me if I was over 40. I did not realize that was the rule in Texas, but I said yes and she then proceeded to ask me for my ID. OMG!

So I started fumbling around in my purse while she hit some keys on the register. I asked her if she really needed it and she said yes so I dug my drivers license out of my wallet (I really do need to get a ladies wallet), and showed it to her while keeping my shaking thumb over most of my picture. Fortunately she said OK after just a bit, and said something like "you really ARE over 40". I thanked her of course and all of us moved on.

Come on really? Does this chick look like she is under 40?
    IMG_0935 (2).jpg

Just kidding... a lady never tells her age and certainly never asks a bunch of dudes!

Wonder if others have been surprised by an ID check while dressed up?

Banned Read only
    Krissy,
    Like me you need to sort a purse ! Not being unkind to anyone but maybe the nice little Indian lady needs an optician ! You must have been desperate for a glass of wine, thank goodness we don't have this trouble in the UK.

I don't know about the SA's being surprised, but I do know a lot of bartenders and innocent patrons (my unsuspecting victims in conversations) that I talk to who are very surprised when I say that I have to grand children in college. I really do love being me at times like that!

Banned Read only
    K:

I live in Corning (for another 2 weeks!) and it is 11,000-12,000 people. The grocery store in the heart of downtown is Wegman's, a family owned chain from Rochester that has stores in New York State, Pennsylvania and a few in another state or 2. Their policy is to card EVERYBODY; to the point that I don't think they would give Methuselah a pass! When I first moved here it took me a while to not laugh when the cashier asked...

DeeAnn

Yeah in Texas that is not uncommon. I am 64 and still get carded.
    Part Time Girl

Only been carded once while enfemme. I handed over my license with hair-challenged photo and said, "My hair was different the day that photo was taken."

So funny Julia Marie! I will remember that next time.

Still have not ventured shopping enfemme... unfortunately there are no self check outs in Argentina yet so when the time comes I´ll have to grow a pair (of ovaries) and face the cashier I guess

Banned Read only
    40?!?! What the hell kind weird law do that have in Texas? The age is 21, for the USA. Texas is still part of the USA ,right? You certainly found the weakness of the purse.

Texas is over the top on checking ID's, to many under cover busts and fines to the owners

Back to point you don't really look old enough to buy that wine without a block of cheese to go with, you look so nice I would have complimented your outfit before i asked for a ID!!!

Also as for wallets, you must now get the right one for your purse.

I will never forget the day I let my wife empty out my male wallet and put all my stuff in a nice ladies wallet that has RF protection to keep folks from stealing credit card information. I do not know how I ever made it with a male wallet, I just love my ladies wallet, it is so much more functional, plus there is no room for a male style wallet in ladies jeans.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U need to be 40 to buy wine in Texas!? What is it for hard liquor? 65?

This is exactly why I don't go out in vanilla land dressed unless I have to. When I'm out shopping, I want to concentrate on what I'm buying. I'm not out looking for extra drama.

When I go out dressed, I've come to expect some sort of drama!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Great story Krissy and you look great very much a nice young lady 😊

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Have never tried to buy adult beverages over the counter while dressed. Clerks at the grocery stores here use discretion in asking for proof of age (over 21). Now and then a newbie will ask for ID even though I am a geezer. (Just grin and bear it.)

I buy most of my spirits at the liqueur department of a pharmacy chain (good pricing) and they check ID of everyone without exception. SA is required to enter a number to continue. Perhaps someday I should try the purchase en-femme with guy ID to gauge the response. They most certainly have regular CD/TG customers already.

Well, Krissy. I'd take that as a compliment on how young you look! I've had the same thing happen to me in the Atlanta airport (where they seem to card everyone), when renting a car en femme and once in a while in the checkout line. I always enjoy people's reactions ... ("Is that really you?" "Yes, my hair was shorter then..."). Sometimes "I love your earrings..." If nothing else, it helps educate folks about us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Aspiring Member
    Yes I have. Went to a convience store to get a pack of cigarettes and was asked for I'd. So I showed him and right away he started in on me and my picture on my I'd. I was in female.mode at the time as I always am. I made the purchase and have never been back to that store ever. It wasn't over being carded, it was over his statement when another clerk said we know her and his response was weii I don't know this it. Thats the twice it has happened. But life goes on.

Mmmm!
    What's the drinking age in Texas?

Well I suppose it's a big state with lotsa' oil wells.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    40?!?! What the hell kind weird law do that have in Texas? The age is 21, for the USA. Texas is still part of the USA ,right? You certainly found the weakness of the purse.
    Jen,

It's not uncommon for stores ANYWHERE in the country to have a policy to automatically check ID for persons appearing under a certain age. This policy is not based on the law, but helps to reinforce the law (21 across the country). Not checking persons that look older is a convinience for patrons and stores. Enforcement of checking goes up in certain areas, and often after a store has been busted. We used to know which stores and bars checked and which didn't in my youth. First Bar? The ripe age of 13! (My older sisters were Such a great influence) of course it was 18 for 3.2 back then.
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 01-21-2016 at 08:49 AM.

I get out to shop often and when buying alcohol in the grocery store and get asked for my ID, I just go with the flow with my male drivers license and say that the photo was a " bad hair day"...….in my deep male voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post
    Jen,

It's not uncommon for stores ANYWHERE in the country to have a policy to automatically check ID for persons appearing under a certain age. This policy is not based on the law, but helps to reinforce the law (21 across the country). Not checking persons that look older is a convinience for patrons and stores. Enforcement of checking goes up in certain areas, and often after a store has been busted. We used to know which stores and bars checked and which didn't in my youth. First Bar? The ripe age of 13! (My older sisters were Such a great influence) of course it was 18 for 3.2 back then.
    Truth. Lots of establishments all over the country automatically card everybody. Period. Takes judgement out of the equation and gives us oldies an occasional story to tell. No big deal. Hugs, Michelle

Another complication is the fact that a number of U.S. states - particularly in the south and central parts of the U.S. (Texas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky etc.) have what are known as "dry counties". This is a leftover from the 21st Amendment which ended Prohibition in the U.S., but still allowed for the ban on alcohol to continue at the state or local level where desired - either by popular vote or by the implementation of an ordinance. Thus, there exists a mixture of "dry", "wet", and "mixed" counties in a number of these states. Some prohibit off-premises sale of alcohol, some prohibit on-premises sale, and some prohibit both.

Texas only has a few of these "dry" counties, and most are in the northwestern part of the state. It was just my good fortune (?) to encounter this situation during a business trip to Rockwell, TX a few years ago, and the only way the group I was with was permitted to buy alcoholic beverages along with our restaurant meal was to temporarily identify ourselves as a "social club", and by way of this technicality we were able to circumvent the local liquor laws and be served our desired beverages.

Fun fact: According to Wikipedia, "Although Moore County, Tennessee is the home county of Jack Daniel's, a major operational distillery of whiskey, it is a dry county, so the product is not available at stores or restaurants within the county; however, the distillery does sell commemorative bottles of whiskey on site."

There are several dry municipalities around me in NW Texas (not counties but townships/cities). I am not aware of a totally dry county.

As for getting carded I'd take you for well over forty, perhaps you should take it as a compliment.

Banned Read only
    Back in the late 70's/early 80's the company that I worked for built a plant in Sherman, TX (near the TX/OK border). It's in Grayson county, as I remember (that's scary recalling that after all these years...). I spent a fair amount of time there over a 2-3 year period. At that time it was technically a dry county, BUT... They sold "memberships". It was something like a 1 week membership was $10, but a 1 year was maybe $25. Hmmm...

DeeAnn

I have never been carded for alcohol en femme because I have never purchased it while dressed. I have, however, been carded when using a credit card. I've never had any SA say anything negative and but some were surprised
    Please call me Lisa!