Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad service V. NO service?

Banned Read only

Bad service V. NO service?

OK, presenting in tween mode I've found works really well but twice now I've gone to my usual place for a coffee on the way to work and the clerk (middle+ aged man) LITERALLY walked away from the counter when I approached 😕 I wasn't even presenting in tween mode but I kinda look like that natualy (takes effort to present as a guy). I don't doubt for a pico second he couldn't deal with the fact I'm a dude who looks like a chic!

That said, should I avoid the place or 'put it in his face'...I WILL fight ya 😠 but the girl in me is thinking be compassionate, if he can't deal with it let it be 😕

Thoughts?

Personal call. I'm feisty and might well ask to talk to a manager. Don't assign motives to the employee but just say you step up to the counter and he walks away and you expect better treatment. Then let it play out between the manager and the employee. But be open to the idea that there may be something else going on that you're unaware of.

Aspiring Member
    Since you said this is your usual place to stop, I might presume that this man is new and you've not had such a problem with others who work there? If so, ask for a private chat with the owner or manager and ask if this man has a problem with who you are.

If this is a sole proprietorship, you never know how a complaint would be received, but if this is a larger chain, you bet they will be afraid of being branded as being discriminatory in their practices. Unless this business is owned by religious zealots, you might get your point across.

If they are a Hobby Lobby type of business, they may tell you to take a hike. If that happens, move on, buy a thermos and enjoy your home-brewed coffee in the park on the way to work.

Banned Read only
    I agree, might be something else up. I lingered in my truck as another customer walked in after I left and he still ignored that guy (wearing an EMS uniform)...might just be my own hypersensitivity...I hope 😐

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Hi Sandie, I've actually interacted with this SA many times in the past when I was a full on sasquatch of a guy...maybe since I'm not 'that sasquatch' anymore he's kinda freaked out...the contrast IS kinda profound I suppose 😨

Perhaps he had to answer an urgent call of nature? It may not be about you.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Business is business. If you're sure that you are being ignored for whatever reason find a friendlier place to get your coffee.

Mimi and I frequent a diner where we are so familiar to the waitresses that we bring them small gifts for the holidays. I've gone from butch male with a crew cut to long blonde hair, earrings, and A-cup breasts. They still treat me as a person, which is all I ask.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Try to make haters accept u? I admire that kind of TS commitment.

But, I'm not a TS, I'm a CD. There r too many places in town to even visit them all! So, I just go where I feel comfortable.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    Well I've been in the same situation many times and chalked it up to them either having a bad day or really busy. Although one place I use to go to I did stop going to when the waitress said we don't serve your kind here. So I made an off the wall comment about anal compulsive Huns to her and left and have never been back. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again then I would.ask for a manager.

Having been a business owner and working in a customer based place before, that's kinda crappy service. Customers are the base for any business. We have the right to refuse business to anyone. However that's not good practice to give crap service. Crap service makes others in the business leave as well. On our side in my opinion, I would rather be told we cannot out will not service you than to get bad service. Poorly cooked food, crappy pedicures and what ever gets sent out to every one, genetic and trans. That bad service could get us sick of it is at a restaurant. And we've had it happen to us. Don't accept us in and then give us crappy service. Just kindly ask us to leave. At least we know not to come there again.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

I consider it is not worth making a stand, but that said, be a pain in the arse for him and keep frequenting the place.

It gives me great pleasure to quietly extract service out of someone not willing.

If they do step out of line then, TREAD on them in the proper fashion and stay legal. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Robin,

You're a customer and a sweetie too - leverage that... Look your best, go back in, smile your sweetest and be as charming as you can - if he's still rude after that, have his manager or the owner fight him... you should certainly tell them of the poor customer service you've received if it doesn't improve. How could anyone be like that to you...?

In civilised society a smile and friendly greeting can sometimes be more disarming than any other approach...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Silver Member
    The quality of customer service in customer service places has only gone downhill of late. In an unrelated post I read where a en drab shopper asked nicely for some SA's to move aside (used excuse me as the method) and they did but without any offer of assistance.
    For me, en male getting an offer of assistance by SA's in all stores is the exception not the rule. Sadly, IMHO.

Have to second what Beverley Sims said. Quiet insistence can sometimes teach tolerance once one comes to terms with the fact you aren't going away. I always first assume it is ME they are hating on, then breathe, then assume it is just them having a bad day or moment or something. If we give the benifit of doubt, then find a true hater, so be it, there are other places to get coffee. (Plus, like Sandie70 said, coffee from home can be pretty darn good) (and cheaper long term!)

I tend to over think everything, am too dern sensitive, and paranoid, from all the torment i had at schools, and from older harsh twin brothers. Those kind of things trigger me, too. It is hard to have more teflon, and let it fall off like water off a ducks' back. We don't know what is going on in his or her life, though. They may be going through terribly difficult circumstance, overwhelmed.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 01-21-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Robin,

In civilized society a smile and friendly greeting can sometimes be more disarming than any other approach...

Katey x
    Are you looking for acceptance or acquiescence? The militant approach will probably win the immediate battle, but if you are trying to advance general acceptance go with the friendly smile and patience, it will probably win the battle and is definitely the best way to win the war.

Daphne

Quote Originally Posted by Kandia View Post
    Having been a business owner and working in a customer based place before, that's kinda crappy service. Customers are the base for any business. We have the right to refuse business to anyone. However that's not good practice to give crap service. Crap service makes others in the business leave as well. .
    I'm in the same boat here. I have had to let employees go that just could not get the hang of customer service. Great workers but unable to excel at face to face.
    Unfortunately the people I let go get another job doing similar disservice elsewhere.

On the other hand, there have been customers (very few) that I have asked to shop elsewhere. Their attitude of disrespect was beyond reprehensible.

There is a 99% chance that the boss knows about the disrespectful employee and is trying to figure out what to do with them. In small businesses hiring and firing are a huge deal. Can I get this person to adjust? Can I help them make changes? Do I have the time to hire and train someone else, let alone the personnel cover the transition?

In drab: If the service is intentionally disrespectful I inform a superior so that they can deal with it. That is their job not mine.

Enfemme: My presence upsets the laws of nature. Most people can go a lifetime without interacting with a crossdresser. I am asking them to put everything they have ever experienced aside and deal with an alien being. Not everyone handles aliens well. My compassion and smile win a convert. Or not.
    Live and let dress.

Silver Member
    Robin - So sorry to read of your treatment. I would be tempted to say something directly to him or the owner about being disrespectful but employees usually reflect the attitude of their owners and you are probably not the only customer treated disrespectfully. Probably the best response would be to leave, never go back, and leave negative comments on business sites on-line about poor customer service.

As one who walks in both worlds, I've had clerks sneer and show disgust but still provide a service. There are many who know me as one and the same in my presentation but only one that seems bothered by me, but she can't walk away because she's the cashier in the grocery store, as a courtesy I try to avoid her line but sometimes life happens. The decision of course is totally yours but I would go elsewhere for awhile and then return at some time to see if the reaction is the same.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Banned Read only
    Thanks for the advice ladies, I did go back (kinda my routine) and I was greeted by a VERY friendly young lady this morning (all good 😊 ), I think it was just his 'last day'. In his shoes honestly, I would probably have wanted to do the same thing...I'm done 😠, the coffee is FREE today!

Glad to hear things worked out, sounds like a miserable, ignorant person, deserves all he gets(unemployed).Time to make a new friend with the VERY friendly young lady even if its just for a few minutes in the morning before that cup of mud. That morning routine is very important to start the day off normal.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin414 View Post
    OK, presenting in tween mode
    Quoting Inigo Montoya: "You Keep Using That Word, tween, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means" "Tween" by itself is used for pre-adolescents and you probably do not mean to imply you dress like a pre-adolescenet The words you're looking for are "mixed gender presentation" or "androgynous mode", since what you're doing is slip-sliding your way through "An Experiment in Androgyny" snicker....that's the name of a thread involving someone who did what you're doing at the Other Place (mHB) ....they eventually ended up living as a woman full time

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

I am with jennie...talk to the manager

I have had only one hurtful experience and a day or so later I called the manager to express my feelings. I did not want the person fired I suggested sensitivity training across the staff to try and avoid awkward/possibly discriminating situations.

The Manager was most apologetic and appeeciated the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    Quoting Inigo Montoya: "You Keep Using That Word, tween, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means" "Tween" by itself is used for pre-adolescents and you probably do not mean to imply you dress like a pre-adolescenet The words you're looking for are "mixed gender presentation" or "androgynous mode", since what you're doing is slip-sliding your way through "An Experiment in Androgyny" snicker....that's the name of a thread involving someone who did what you're doing at the Other Place (mHB) ....they eventually ended up living as a woman full time

Veronica
    pretty sure it was Wesley that said that to Wallace Shawn!

(My Dinner With Andre the Giant!)

you keep using that quote but I don't think the person you thought said it was the one that said it!

uh!

IN his face especailly if you're comfortable with yourself and it seems like you are. Go Girl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Robin,
    I think you already know what your going to do
    I've been reading your posts for a while and your pretty smart (or is that pretty AND smart)
    Anyway, you seem comfortable as who you are and he isn't (that's who he is)
    I always pick my battles. Sometimes it makes no sense winning if it makes simple things more difficult.
    Kim
    I never chose to dress as a woman, dressing as a woman chose me