Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have You Noticed any "Cait Effect?"

Have You Noticed any "Cait Effect?"

The furor seems to have quickly subsided. Maybe that is the largest effect of all. Maybe people have decided it's not such a big deal after all.

I read about things that are probably somewhat, even largely, due to a Cait effect. Schools changing dress codes, mostly. I thought for a while I noticed that people reacted differently toward me, but that was probably because I was looking for it. I think for me personally the effect has been nil. I think the people who were strongly negative before are still strongly negative. I'd be curious to hear if there's been any effect positive or negative for those of you in relationships.

In the case of schools, my sense is that whatever happens in the way of gender expression is more publicly noted now. I know of a couple of girls who went through high school dressing to one extent or another and nothing was ever made public about it. Now I think it'd make the news. Of course, social media is responsible for a lot of that.

With only one exception, I haven't seen anything since Cait that I haven't seen before, or any more of us. Except for the infrequent gay club, I'm not out in what would be considered trans-friendly places. If there were more of us out in those places I wouldn't know it. Anybody notice anything in those places? The only thing I've personally seen that I've never seen before is a wife waiting outside the dressing rooms at a big thrift store while her husband tried on a variety of women's clothes. He'd come out to look in the mirror (in an area that is open to the whole store), ask her opinion, and go try on more. I was able to hear some of her comments, and their interaction was no different than had they both been GGs. I only heard the comments of two other women which were along the line of "no big deal". I don't think any of that was a Cait effect, but there might have been some influence.

There is an astonishing divide in different parts of the country. You can read of one school having a TG homecoming queen, yet still in Texas there are boys being kept out of school for long hair. Surely to God they'll move beyond the long hair issue!

As far as Cait herself, to me she seems a bit contrived on TV. My impression is that she's at heart a quiet person who'd rather avoid the spotlight. Sounds ridiculous given what we've seen, I know. She just comes across as uncomfortable to me. I think she's damn well comfortable with her changes. She just seems to try to play a part. And her friends try to thrust her into this leadership role, but only if she leads the way they want her to. I fully expect next season's bombshell to be who she decides to date. I hope it's entirely her choice and not a "made for TV" relationship. Seems like everything that whole family does is made for TV. It's all they've known for so many years.

When I started coming out to friends as trans, one person said I was mentally ill and that we could no longer be friends. We're no longer talking.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    What is ciat?

Cait = Caitlyn Jenner

Danielle...how does that relate to Caitlyn Jenner?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

With me, I didn't come to terms until after all the trans visibility over the last year. Transparent more so than Jenner.

Ok ten minutes on Google and I now know who Caitlyn Jenner is, and what you meant by Ciat, thanks miss Danielle, Life is an education, but never assume I know anything, I'm a scouse girl, living in Cornwall.

Gold Member
    A few people asked me my opinion of Cait.

I dont get why it took Cait though to make the nation notice TG'ism. I mean wasn't there Miss Canada and also Jazz Jennings? They were in the media first.

As far as the furor subsiding, if that means the buzz about Cait - There is always something new in the news. People get bored quickly.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

The only thing I've personally noticed is my wife doesn't change the tv channel as quickly when there something TG on. Used to be "click". Now its more of a "C. L. I. C. K". Now that's Progress!!!

Cait has been the topic of much amusement to my bigoted work colleagues. I'm on the exec team of a company, and our head of HR (who is supposedly in charge of promoting diversity) likes to joke about Ms. Jenner. We are an all male board (well, sort of in my case, LOL) and I think he feels free to say stupid things. The CEO joins him in the inappropriate banter. A fellow VP who is of slight stature and somewhat quiet gets ribbed about him being our "diverse" board member, because he is feminine. I don't rise to the bait and engage in these discussions, though on more than one occasion when Cait was discussed, I just said quietly, "Hey, whatever makes you happy." I've thought about actively challenging them both on their views, but I don't know what good it would do. I have a thick skin and it doesn't bother me personally, so I don't want to rock the boat--or raise suspicion. I suppose it's good to know who I am dealing with, however, should I ever decide to go further down the path of gender expression.

@Gretchen: I'd love to scream tell them who you are and tell the bigots how life should be. But it's only 2016 and I still fear I would be sidelined on the spot in the world I work in, if I stuck my neck out, What wimps we are. Apologise if that's not you but I'm still hid and still happy.
    Last edited by Katey888; 01-25-2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Not necessary to requote entire previous post

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    I read about things that are probably somewhat, even largely, due to a Cait effect. Schools changing dress codes, mostly. I thought for a while I noticed that people reacted differently toward me, but that was probably because I was looking for it. I think for me personally the effect has been nil. I think the people who were strongly negative before are still strongly negative. I'd be curious to hear if there's been any effect positive or negative for those of you in relationships.
    Same here. Cait's coming out opened up a public conversation for a time but didn't change fundamental opinions as far as I can see. People who are not involved in this community see it (mostly) as entertainment, just as politics have become a huge source of entertainment. The people I know who thought being TG was weird before, still feel that way. And now her second season is beginning without fanfare as far as I can see, so the people who will watch the show I suspect are those who have a personal stake in it, i.e. CDs/TGs/TSs and their friends and families, or people who have a perverse wish to be entertained with whatever they find entertaining about her.

I think Cait has had a positive effect on people actively involved in this community though. Wives married to CDers, who want to resolve their internal conflicts about it, have been open to Cait's life story according to some members here. I also think some wives are able to understand a desire to be feminine without thinking their CD husbands might be TS, if their husbands tell them they are not interested in living as women full time like Cait. And maybe even Cait has helped young TSs realize who they are and perhaps seek help, even if they do not relate to her rich Hollywood lifestyle. But, TS teenagers experiencing issues with their parents might not see an improvement if their parents still object despite Cait's coming out. And certainly Cait was popular among CDers who yearn for public acceptance of males who present as women, even though this is not how Cait identifies. The media stories were very much about Cait being Bruce Jenner, which linked both personas in the public mindset.

As to some schools changing dress codes and allowing access to bathrooms and locker rooms, I think this would happen anyway. There is an increasing number of parents advocating for their trans children and helped by trans-advocacy organizations. Still these changes are not done without many other parents objecting forcefully. But attitudes in the psychological/medical spheres have changed due to increased research and trans-advocacy, which is helping the laws improve. Also social media has some impact on general awareness, even if those who do not know any TGs/TSs tell themselves, "that's fine for them, but it does not impact me in any way and it doesn't change anything about my life".

I have not seen more CDs/TGs/TSs out there since Cait came out.

As far as Cait herself, to me she seems a bit contrived on TV. My impression is that she's at heart a quiet person who'd rather avoid the spotlight. Sounds ridiculous given what we've seen, I know. She just comes across as uncomfortable to me.
    She's in the unfortunate position of being a well known person (as Bruce Jenner first, and then as part of the K-clan) having had to transition in the public eye. Things might have gone well enough if she had not been interested in continuing with reality TV, but now she has to balance who she really is with the public persona she thinks will reflect positively in the ratings. I think if she had not actively helped to place her transition in the limelight (with the magazine bustier cover and then the reality show), if she instead had become involved with trans-advocacy groups, talks in high schools, etc, in the same way as non-famous people, and then perhaps granted interviews with the inevitable media interest (but without all the glam), then the public opinion about her I think would be vastly different and I dare say more favorable. People would have told themselves "Oh look, here is a famous person who is trans too and who is advocating for trans rights" (like Chaz Bono), rather than "Oh boy, is she ever milking it for money".

Last edited by ReineD; 01-25-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    Reine

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    I dont get why it took Cait though to make the nation notice TG'ism. I mean wasn't there Miss Canada and also Jazz Jennings? They were in the media first.
    Jenna and Jazz became known after they transitioned, so the public never knew them as male. Caitlyn was first known for her Olympic Gold as a man; in a sense, the public went through transition with Caitlyn.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

I had a youngish girl tell me at the coffee shop that I looked like Caitlyn Jenner. I was in male mode with my long hair down for that day. It was a surprise and a real confirmation that I do sometimes see some of Cait in my face when I look in the mirror. Other than that, no other conversations involved in or over heard when out. That being said, I do believe that many more people are talking about what being trans is all about, especially due to all of last year's publicity about Cait, Laverne Cox, Transparent and other news stories. That to me is good as making the general public aware that we even exist is much more progress than in the past.

Together, my wife and I watch some of the shows that feature Cait. On occasion, the conversation turns to her asking me if I want to transition. She's concerned about that. I truthfully explain that I'm different than Cait. Rather, as a crossdresser, I have both feminine and masculine qualities but that I'm not a woman born with a physically male body not in harmony with my inner being. After these conversations, she feels relieved but it's never 100% because the topic does arise again from time to time. Putting myself in her shoes, I can fully understand why she'd be concerned and ask for assurances periodically.
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Oh, some people are still pissed off. They just realize that others have gotten tired of their ranting about it. We have one curmudgeon at work who would bring up the topic every day. His complaint was that he didn't want it 'in his face' all the time, why she deserved to be newsworthy. I asked him why adult men who play children's games get a whole section of the news to themselves, don't they realize how dumb it looks to be a grown man playing with a ball all day long, what's the point of that? He still didn't get the message, so we eventually all just told him to STFU and turn the page, because he was way more annoying than any news item.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Oh, some people are still pissed off. They just realize that others have gotten tired of their ranting about it. We have one curmudgeon at work who would bring up the topic every day. His complaint was that he didn't want it 'in his face' all the time, why she deserved to be newsworthy. I asked him why adult men who play children's games get a whole section of the news to themselves, don't they realize how dumb it looks to be a grown man playing with a ball all day long, what's the point of that? He still didn't get the message, so we eventually all just told him to STFU and turn the page, because he was way more annoying than any news item.
    My experience with people like this is that they are often themselves in the closet but haven't come to grips with their reality; I know because I was like that too for a time when I tried to deny my gender issues. There was a guy back in my college days that would rant on and on about gays. Then he left the dorm and moved in with another guy and guess what, turns out he was gay... the other guy had to leave as he made the situation intolerable for him.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    I asked him why adult men who play children's games get a whole section of the news to themselves, don't they realize how dumb it looks to be a grown man playing with a ball all day long, what's the point of that? He still didn't get the message,
    You mean sports? It's a great way to acquire and maintain physical skills and stay in shape, it builds physical strength and it's a healthy form of competition, much better than violent alternatives. Physical competition has been with us for thousands of years!
    Reine

Banned Read only
    Jenner is just one voice. The acceptance of transgender people does not ride on her shoulders but she is helping make the issue known. Now, I was out and about before Jenner and have been out after Jenner went public. There is no difference that I, as just one individual, can see or feel, but I KNOW Jenner is having an impact. Joe Average can not write her off as a corner case. When she was Bruce Jenner, she was the World's Greatest Athlete. If Bruce Jenner can be transgender, anyone can. That alone is a powerful thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I think if she had not actively helped to place her transition in the limelight (with the magazine bustier cover and then the reality show), if she instead had become involved with trans-advocacy groups, talks in high schools, etc, in the same way as non-famous people, and then perhaps granted interviews with the inevitable media interest (but without all the glam), then the public opinion about her I think would be vastly different and I dare say more favorable.
    I think the most common complaints I heard about her were about the way she dressed. Not that she obviously dressed as a woman, but the bustier, the miniskirts, the heels... I could so get this part! For one thing, look at where she'd just come from. A sex and glam environment like no other. Besides, she looks awesome! I'm sure it was liberating for her to wear these things so publicly, yet within the safety that her situation affords.

Early on, she was much less comfortable with herself and much less experienced dressing than I ever expected. There are a lot of girls on here much further along. She'd lived in a fishbowl, without even the freedom of a closeted crossdresser.

I'd love to hear just one person say the Cait effect saved their marriage, or caused a major change in attitude within their family or with their wife.
    Last edited by Katey888; 01-25-2016 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Fixed quote box

I have seen two television commercials with characters blurring the gender lines. Today's multimedia, instant news and information pop culture blitz, has most of us not surprised much at anything , and heads spinning, too busy to care much, or remember much. Everthing coming at us so fast!

I think the most common complaints I heard about her were about the way she dressed. Not that she obviously dressed as a woman, but the bustier, the miniskirts, the heels... I could so get this part!
    Yeah, but she did tone it down eventually. I think she is aware of the criticism. I've since seen pictures of her dressed in normal clothes.

I'd love to hear just one person say the Cait effect saved their marriage, or caused a major change in attitude within their family or with their wife.
    I don't know about that. It seems to me that if a husband is transitioning and a wife is not prepared to be in a relationship with another woman, there are no numbers of Caits who will make a difference. But, some members here have said their wives understood their desire to express femininity more after hearing Cait's interview with Diane Sawyer, although as nikkiwindsor said above, some wives may instead be concerned that their husbands will eventually decide to go the way of Jenner.

So maybe a lot of people are seeing Jenner as being responsible for a larger presence of transsexuals and gender non-conforming people in the media. I think it's the reverse ... social values are changing, they've been changing slowly since the 70s and laws are catching up. Hollywood has been catching up for years. This is why Jenner came out now, just like everyone else. It's more acceptable now than it ever has been.
    Last edited by ReineD; 01-25-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    Reine

Platinum Member
    After the initial media blitz of Caitlyn everything settled down. She became a non-event except for reality TV. Then several weeks ago the State of Washington came out with regulations indicating transgenders are legally able to use the restroom of their choice. That brought some politicians out of the woodwork to sponsor legislation to align usage to their birth gender. Privacy concerns is the stated reason for the proposed legislation. There was also a lively discussion in the media of the local Y's adopting the same position for transgenders, i.e., choice. There was some resignations of family memberships. More later as the legislature gets down to business or whatever they do in Olympia.

I still believe that Caitlyn did something that took a lot of courage and she can do and dress in whatever way she wishes as far as I am concerned. I do hope that all her ventures go well and that she achieves happiness and contentment. By the way I loved the bustier picture. My thought was "good on you girl".

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    although as nikkiwindsor said above, some wives may instead be concerned that their husbands will eventually decide to go the way of Jenner.
    Yup. That's what is happening in our house!