Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have You Noticed any "Cait Effect?"

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    The only thing I've personally noticed is my wife doesn't change the tv channel as quickly when there something TG on. Used to be "click". Now its more of a "C. L. I. C. K". Now that's Progress!!!
    My SO has always been open minded since our kids have at least one TG friend (FtM) and they regularly support the annual Pride Parades but to your post, same here, my SO watches her show quite often and even watches the Kardashians just to see what Bruce was like, and she thinks he was and she is an amazing person...what has CJ done for ME, quite a bit actually...if nothing else, proved we're not weirdos and and can actually be successful, influential, wonderfull, normal people ☺

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I'm not sure it has anything to do with as you say Cait effect but for me going out an about here in Texas I've seen few if any problems in fact I've been very much accepted at least with the interactions I've had. Now that's not to say what they say about the CD after I've left the store but so far I'm very comfortable going out dressed where I live.
    Is that mean more acceptance I really don't know

We are certainly living in a time of change. The exposure that Cait has given to transgender issues has to be good, but we'll also see, if not a backlash, some strident opposition to acceptance of a gender diverse world.
    Today is Australia Day down here. Every year each state selects a person of the year and they are in the running for Australian of the year. This year Cate McGregor , a transwoman, was Queesnsland Australian of the Year. She didn't get the Australian of the year but hey! it's a big deal!
    Times, they are a'changin' ....
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    The "Cait" effect?

Nationally, she's nearly single handedly opened up conversations about trans in most media forms. And, among much of the public as a result. As many here have mentioned above, some is good, some bad. But, i think it's ALL beneficial because trans r being discussed more openly and honestly everywhere!

Personally, an old trans friend met Cait in a small discussion group in LA. She said Cait is a bit like me. In that it's really important to her to look good. And, she's not very involved in the trans community. Funny! I felt I had some things in common with her even before I heard that.

Some trans bad mouth Cait on FB for being self centered and for not helping the trans community as she could.
    As if no other trans r self absorbed. Or, that we all spend our efforts helping others.

Yes, she IS when she wants to be. But, she was when she was a he, too.

Anyone that doesn't think "reality shows" like hers and her TV family's r scripted, is living in a river in Egypt!
    Last edited by Lorileah; 01-27-2016 at 12:05 AM. Reason: if you get *** it ain't allowed. word filter
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    I didn't find Cait of any help at all - the media buzz was oddly absent, and the Vanity Fair cover didn't show up much in local newspapers. Activism has thus far been sidelined and LGBT issues are skirted due to the fairly conservative nature (and NIMBYism) of Singaporean society.

Nonetheless, I acknowledge that the online community has reacted much more positively and are generally much more supportive especially considering the public witnessed the entire process with her (already famous before she began transition). On that same note, she's as good as become a yardstick (read: "Oh, so you're going down the same path as Caitlyn Jenner") for the loved ones of TGs, so it's difficult for her to truly stand for the entire transgender spectrum as much as she may attempt to speak for said spectrum.

Meanwhile in Singapore, the most salient examples of crossdressing (rather than TG or TS issues) in recent history (outside of entertainment) were isolated cases of attempting to sexually harass women inside the female restrooms. This kind of case is unfortunately not going to help us in the slightest. However, as these cases are closer to home and have more direct effects, they likely last longer in the local public eye than the fleeting celebrity of Caitlyn Jenner. Especially since fear (more positively caution) is a considerable individual driving force.
    Last edited by Lily Catherine; 01-26-2016 at 01:31 AM.

Well, My wife didn't have to worry about me going down the same path as Caitlyn, since I was already on it.

Caitlyn is a unique person and her actions reflect her situation. Of course she wears heels and miniskirts, she's lived around a bunch of women for whom that is normal dress. She emerged from her closet with no experience in being a woman in public. She was criticized for her voice, mannerisms, and outlook. If someone would have put my first steps out the door under the same microscope I probably would not have fared as well as she.

She's also been burdened by lots of trans activists who want to hitch their wagons to hers. They're happy to bask in the glow of her fame, but then they turn around and criticize her for her own views.

Personally, I feel that the "Caitlyn Effect" is certainly positive. When the All-American boy decided to transition it took transgenderism from the LGBT ghetto to the mainstream. Even those bigots who ridicule Caitlyn can't get past the bare fact that she has a Olympic Decathlon gold medal, an exploit that no loudmouth can match.

Quote Originally Posted by LeighR View Post
    I'm not sure it has anything to do with as you say Cait effect but for me going out an about here in Texas I've seen few if any problems in fact I've been very much accepted at least with the interactions I've had.
    We experience the same thing (for the most part) and we've been going out for almost 10 years. If the people we run into disapprove, they tend to keep their opinions to themselves. And all service personnel (SAs, restaurant staff, bar tenders, doormen, etc) are always polite and some are even friendly, in fact most of them remember us.

So maybe that's why I don't see much difference. We are treated as we've always been, and I don't see more CDs/TGs/TSs out and about.
    Reine

Caitlyn has got me to thinking of how many other accomplished athletes are trans. It seems to me there is a good chance that there are others, but they are closeted so we do not know who they are.

Cait for me is how my wife found out about Donna. She calls me on the way to work on day and asks me; What's up with Bruce. Well, that started the coming out.
    I replied, she is like the rest of us. My wife responded; Who is us?
    It went on from there.
    It had been two months into my marriage to her.
    My wife had watched the Caitlyn series and learned a lot.
    I am working on transitioning to a certain point.
    My wife doesn't understand most of it. But has agreed that " I am me" and should've happy in life.
    Where will our relationship go from here? We are not sure. But I have learned this,
    Caitlyn broke the ice in my relationship and I'm not going back to my old self. It's a ad place. Hopefully my wife will stay with me. We love each other very much. I feel guilty for coming out. But the question was asked and I answered it honestly. I have no regrets, no matter the outcome.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Nope haven't noticed any "Cait effect". Noticed the "Isabella effect", the "Shandi effect", the "Lara effect", the "Patti Dawn effect", the "Reece effect" and even some would say that there is a "Chantal effect" plus the thousands other "transgender people effect" here in Winnipeg. Oh can't overlook the important "friendly allies effect". All of these local people play a big part of educating Winnipeg!

I'm afraid the "Caitlyn Effect" might have missed the mark for those of us who are simple crossdressers and like to wear women's clothes occasionally. Now there's a need to explain the difference between Trans and CD.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenna116 View Post
    Now there's a need to explain the difference between Trans and CD.
    Yes there is!
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Robin414 View Post
    My SO has always been open minded since our kids have at least one TG friend (FtM) and they regularly support the annual Pride Parades but to your post, same here, my SO watches her show quite often and even watches the Kardashians just to see what Bruce was like, and she thinks he was and she is an amazing person...what has CJ done for ME, quite a bit actually...if nothing else, proved we're not weirdos and and can actually be successful, influential, wonderfull, normal people ☺
    I'm carry the same position as Robin. My wife embraced the Cait story and openly supported her courage. Once I saw her reaction it gave me the courage to re-introduce Kim to her after 12 years in the closet. NOTE: I did try to resurrect Kim about 4 years ago and the response went over like a lead balloon!
    I never chose to dress as a woman, dressing as a woman chose me

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    ...And all service personnel (SAs, restaurant staff, bar tenders, doormen, etc) are always polite and some are even friendly, in fact most of them remember us. ...
    Heavens, do I resemble that remark. SAs that I've interacted with once months before say "I remember you, welcome back!

They have invariably been friendly and welcoming. I used to interpret it as "Ohmygosh, I've been made! Panic!" Now I realize that it's simply that a 5'14" fiftysomething woman doesn't walk in every day, particularly with a petite wing-girl.

Quote Originally Posted by jenna116 View Post
    Now there's a need to explain the difference between Trans and CD.
    I've walked both sides of that street and nobody has ever asked me if I was transexual versus CD. Most people don't draw a distinction and frankly, I don't want to waste my time enlightening them. As long as they treat me nicely they can think whatever they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I've walked both sides of that street and nobody has ever asked me if I was transexual versus CD. Most people don't draw a distinction and frankly, I don't want to waste my time enlightening them.
    Yes agreed, the general public doesn't care. They just see an alternate gender presentation (if the person in question is read), and they assign their own meanings to it. Likely most people we run across take it my SO is like Kaitlin Jenner. It doesn't matter to us what they think.

I was thinking more in line with finding a way to explain the differences to members in this forum. And of course their wives.
    Reine

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    As far as Cait herself, to me she seems a bit contrived on TV. My impression is that she's at heart a quiet person who'd rather avoid the spotlight. Sounds ridiculous given what we've seen, I know. She just comes across as uncomfortable to me. I think she's damn well comfortable with her changes. She just seems to try to play a part. And her friends try to thrust her into this leadership role, but only if she leads the way they want her to. I fully expect next season's bombshell to be who she decides to date. I hope it's entirely her choice and not a "made for TV" relationship. Seems like everything that whole family does is made for TV. It's all they've known for so many years.
    Many people here have said that, in their minds, they have always been female. I understand what they are saying, but I think there is a bit of a rub to that. In spite of their belief that they were always female, the vast majority were reared and entered adulthood as males. Full transition may be spread over a few years, assuming counseling, various surgeries and legal document changes. That's the timeframe for adjustments to perceptions, socialization and physicality of being female. My guess it that that doesn't happen overnight and it suggests that Caitlyn Jenner is still trying to find her groove. Perhaps this is the source of her discomfort as she's just not quite "there" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane G View Post
    Ok ten minutes on Google and I now know who Caitlyn Jenner is, and what you meant by Ciat, thanks miss Danielle, Life is an education, but never assume I know anything, I'm a scouse girl, living in Cornwall.
    Over the years, I've worked with a number of people from the UK. One of them explained the term to me, but it's been too long. However, I thought the word had an "r" on the end of it. Are there different forms of the word?

Quote Originally Posted by Christen View Post
    Today is Australia Day down here.
    I've been to Sydney on Australia Day. I have in-laws there and my wife and I visited in 2007. We spent most of the day downtown and did the roof walk on the Sydney Tower.

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    We take a parochial view here, don't we.

Oh I've noticed a "Cait Effect."

It's gotten me on TV a couple of times, and in the newspaper as well. It's done that for hundreds of other trans people, too. A lot of us have shared our stories, and this hopefully helps cisgender people understand that trans people are really just people, and not something to be feared.

On the positive side, more people are knowledgeable and sympathetic to trans people than ever before. Unfortunately, not enough of them, but more on that in a minute. The issue of trans people is in full play in the public discourse. And for those of you who think "oh, the public will be bored with this soon enough," well, think again. This issue isn't going away, mainly because of certain interactions between cisgender and transgender people in public spaces.

On the negative side, Caitlyn Jenner coming out in the same year as the Obergefell v Hodges ruling, has put a really large target on each and every one of us.

My state last year, and a bunch of other states this year, are trying to pass laws to criminalize our presence in public. They didn't have much luck with this at first, but in Houston they found the formula that seems to work remarkably well: "No men in women's restrooms." Those five words are being used to sink equal rights ordinances around the country, as they did in Houston, the fourth largest city in the US, and a city with an openly lesbian mayor.

The increased trans visibility we now enjoy, in part because of Caitlyn Jenner, is being used by the forces of uptightness to sandbag LGBT rights by focusing solely on the "T". These folks are willing to do great harm to transgender people mostly to propel political careers in some cases, and to pander to people who are freaked out by the notion of a trans woman. (They never talk about the men.)

What's happening right now politically is exceedingly dangerous for all of us, in my opinion. Even if you are a CD of the "I'll never leave my house" variety, you have to understand that if you are ever accidentally outed, say by an angry spouse, that it can't be a good thing for your employer, for example, to be able to freely discriminate against you should they find out because she told them about it. Of course if you are a CD who likes to venture out, there are variations of the various laws that would more or less require businesses to discriminate against you. Yep. Not making that up. Wish I was. And if they get their way, should you be unfortunate enough to use a public restroom, you could face jail time and heavy fines for using the women's restroom. And don't expect much sympathy from anyone - because if they pass such laws, they'll have done it by convincing people that YOU are probably a sexual predator and pedophile.

We are the focal point for the backlash against same sex marriage. And we are that focal point because we are visible, and powerless. And we are even more visible now, in part because of Caitlyn.

As a small aside, the efforts, or lack thereof, on our behalf by our feckless gay and lesbian allies, is also having an impact on this issue. After years of ignoring us and spinning the tale "look, gay people are just like straight people, but with two mommies or two daddies, so can we get married please?", surprise, surprise, they have no idea how to advocate for trans people. The HRC put unprecedented resources into Houston to make sure that the HERO ordinance was passed by voters. They lost, and they lost big.

But by all means, please feel free to continue on in your beliefs that people will happily understand and accept you as men in women's clothing, but revile a trans woman like me, once they understand the difference between us. You can assert "But I'm a STRAIGHT MAN, I just like to be pretty" all you want, but I think you'll find that "No men in women's restrooms" begins to hit a lot closer to home than most of you expect. Because unlike someone like me, that's PRECISELY what most of you who go out in public are. My guess is you'll find people to be a whole lot less sympathetic than what you expected, at least if the forces against us succeed in convincing people that we are all potential sexual predators. No, not only will people not understand the differences between us, but your assertion of them will only confirm their worst fears about YOU.

Don't worry though. Feel free to be bored by all this. Continuing dressing up, and ignoring the wider world around you.

Unfortunately, it appears that the wider isn't going to continue to ignore you.

How's that for a "Cait Effect?"
    Last edited by Katey888; 01-27-2016 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Political opinions removed

Every time a new notable transgender person comes along, it is another step forward in understanding and tolerance.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Paula,

Whew! That was a spanking!

Just as my lack of activism doesn't help you, I'm not so sure your brand of activism helps me. I've been dressing in public in broad daylight since I was 16. In all that time I've had only ONE really scary situation, and it was most likely harmless. Not that everybody loves me. I've had a few other times that fall a bit below the threshold of scary. I HAVE been told by one establishment not to use their ladies room anymore, but, as you point out, I'm not a woman. Maybe it's true that I've tagged along behind the activism and at the expense of others, but honestly I don't feel like I have. I didn't ask for it, and really didn't think I needed it. I know I'm precisely playing into your point.

The backlash you speak of is not a matter of debate. It is a backlash in part due to in-your-face activism that demands abrupt change. Of course I wish I could wear a dress and heels to work today and it'd be accepted as ordinary, but that's not going to happen. Am I kidding myself that because I am out in public, that I present myself well, that I'm nice to people, that I spend money in their stores, that I appear to the public that I'm a good and responsible person... am I not doing my part in my own way toward furthering acceptance of myself and others? Doesn't that count for something? Maybe when you and others are demanding legislative change, somebody will remember me, and begin the think that their prejudices and fears are unfounded.

I do think that the broader acceptance of gays has been a tremendous help to all of us. The general public thinks we're ALL gay.

I certainly am influenced to a great degree by my own fears, which are as you pointed out. Case in point, I don't have an avatar or pictures on here anymore (figured I'd point that out before you did).

I have what I think is a good analogy. In simple terms I think it describes the difference between you and me (at least one of them!). I had long hair all my life (until recently). Even as a toddler. When I started to school in 1964 my hair was well below my shoulders. I was the only boy in school with long hair. Hell, I might have been the only boy for hundred of miles with hair that long. The dress code was that boys hair couldn't touch their ears or their collar. Not sure it's not still that way around where you live. It would have had to have been my mother back then who would've been the one to be the activist, but my point is she (nor I, of course) demanded that the dress code be changed. She just didn't cut my hair. She had two meetings with the principle in elementary school about my hair. I know in the first one he said that he wouldn't enforce the dress code, but if anybody complained he'd have to. Guess nobody complained. It was not necessary for me personally to demand change. I just did my thing. Much like now. I think you would have been demanding a change in the dress code so that all boys could have long hair. I don't know when or even if the dress code was officially changed. Maybe if it was, some of those on the school board might have remembered me. Good kid, good grades, respectful, pleasant to be around... Just happened to have long hair.

What if they'd made me cut my hair? Probably would have changed my attitude on activism.

Luv ya, sis.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    What's happening right now politically is exceedingly dangerous for all of us, in my opinion. Even if you are a CD of the "I'll never leave my house" variety, you have to understand that if you are ever accidentally outed, say by an angry spouse, that it can't be a good thing for your employer, for example, to be able to freely discriminate against you should they find out because she told them about it. Of course if you are a CD who likes to venture out, there are variations of the various laws that would more or less require businesses to discriminate against you. Yep. Not making that up. Wish I was. And if they get their way, should you be unfortunate enough to use a public restroom, you could face jail time and heavy fines for using the women's restroom. And don't expect much sympathy from anyone - because if they pass such laws, they'll have done it by convincing people that YOU are probably a sexual predator and pedophile.
    This can't be repeated enough as crossdressers don't see/recognize the intersection with trans politics and vice-versa. The thing to remember is that when someone does a belly flop into the pool, EVERYBODY gets wet. People are not going to readily distinguish between crossdressers and transsexuals (pre, during or post) even if they know the difference intellectually.

We also have to remember what ENDA laws (employee non-discrimination act) do. As currently written (most without the trans part) it is intended to provide protection for LBG employees, AND ALSO people who are perceived to be LGB, but are not. Potential GENDA legislation (gender expression non-discrimination act) is intended to provide protection for the T part of the population. This was the part that was sacrificed to insure passage of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    The backlash you speak of is not a matter of debate. It is a backlash in part due to in-your-face activism that demands abrupt change.
    R J, you have an opportunity. I am 67 years old. You can be the first to explain to me how being silent (or at least quiet) leads to constructive change. You understand that precedents in history are working against you. I assume that you reside in the US. If not, please correct me. So, consider the Suffragette Movement, the Civil Rights Movement, the Women's Liberation Movement and the Gay Rights Movement. NONE of these were silent endeavors after initial resistance to change. Even the concept of Civil Disobedience is In Your Face by way of presence.

Also, consider the part of the Gay Rights Movement related to Marriage Equality. There was no abrupt change. People have been working on that since the 70's. In all cases above the rights demanded were "in addition to" and not "in place of". By that I mean that no one's position was reduced. Yet, when it comes to granting rights, it is always seems to be thought of as a Zero Sum Game. Interesting...

NOTE: This is a history lesson and not a political discussion.

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 01-27-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Ok so, I live in a red state, born and raised, and am myself conservative on some issues (economic, foreign policy, faith, etc), so yeah, I have quite a few conservative friends in life and social media. Since I'm not out in straight circles it would not occur to any of these people to mince words around me, and I must say I have not seen or heard a single positive response to Caitlyn; to the contrary, all of the response has ranged from snarky to vehemently negative. What seemed to trigger the most reaction is the notion that Cait was courageous in coming out. You and I know Cait's action took tremendous courage, but these folks believe that's a crock. Pretty sad.

I have wondered if it was just coincidence that Cait's outing and the recent legal judgements against TGs in women's restrooms occurred in roughly the same time frame, or is it some sort of social reaction to her high-profiling such issues. Don't know, but what I do know is if people even remotely understood us they would know this is such a non-issue. Now I know there are bound to be a few pervs among us, but I personally have never known a TG of any kind who is interested in anything more than a tinkle and touching up the makeup when they visit the loo. And I also know it's far more dangerous for us in a men's restroom than in the ladies', but I don't think we're likely to garner much sympathy in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    We experience the same thing (for the most part) and we've been going out for almost 10 years. If the people we run into disapprove, they tend to keep their opinions to themselves. And all service personnel (SAs, restaurant staff, bar tenders, doormen, etc) are always polite and some are even friendly, in fact most of them remember us.

So maybe that's why I don't see much difference. We are treated as we've always been, and I don't see more CDs/TGs/TSs out and about.
    Your man is so lucky to have you!

...But by all means, please feel free to continue on in your beliefs that people will happily understand and accept you as men in women's clothing, but revile a trans woman like me, once they understand the difference between us....
    Paula, try as I might, I cannot find any post that states that belief.

The real danger is that our enemies will succeed in dividing the LGBT community. Blaming transpeople for the failure of the HERO ordinance could do just that. The failure was caused by religious bigots who managed to convince ignorant people that a falsehood was true. That's how political strategy works. If they hadn't picked on the bathroom issue, they would have tried something else.

Banned Read only
    Paula, try as I might, I cannot find any post that states that belief.
    It's an old belief from Tri-Ess. You still find it in some groups currently. Perhaps unfairly, but it's not difficult to infer this attitude from some of the posters. "Oh Paula, so many of the things you talk about only affect trans people like you, not CDs like me..." Well alrighty then...

The real danger is that our enemies will succeed in dividing the LGBT community. Blaming transpeople for the failure of the HERO ordinance could do just that. The failure was caused by religious bigots who managed to convince ignorant people that a falsehood was true.
    Well, part of the danger is that our "friends," Big Gay Inc. (tm), have already divided the community, tossing the B's and T's under the bus until quite recently. Unfortunately, now that they've had a change of heart and decided "oh gosh, trans people, it's your turn now - see, we told you we'd come back for you!" They are faced with three problems:
    1. The backlash is large, powerful, rich and really angry - this is gonna be kinda hard
    2. Now that they can get married, all those Big Gay Groups (c) are kinda losing members and steam. "We're done!"
    3. They have no idea how to fight this battle, because they didn't bother to learn much about us over the past 30 years.
    So while I hope this doesn't happen, I will not be surprised if they fall back to throwing us under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean
    The backlash you speak of is not a matter of debate. It is a backlash in part due to in-your-face activism that demands abrupt change.
    As for demanding abrupt change, how long should we wait to demand change. Right now, on average, 41% of trans people attempt suicide. I should know - I'm one of them. Should I wait for it to be 66% of us? 85%? 99%?

The funny thing is, I don't want to be a political activist. I hate politics.

What I really want to do is just live my life. What I find myself doing all the time is looking for lost, confused trans people who appear to be on the verge of sticking a pistol into their mouths and blowing their brains out, and yet haven't figured out that they REALLY need to transition, and getting them to help. I've aided quite a few people this way.

This seems like a fairly harmless activity to me.

What I've noticed along the way:
    1. Medical institutions often treat us VERY badly, if they'll treat us at all
    2. Psychiatric institutions are worse - calling 911 for a suicidal trans person can put them in a terrible, terrible situation where they will not improve.
    3. Law enforcement - wait for it - treats us very badly sometimes

So more or less people like me appear to be on our own, aided by a few allies. (And I do mean FEW.) OK, fine. I can deal with that.

But now they want to make it criminal for us to be in public places - and not just a ticket - oh no - many of the proposed laws in various states make using the "wrong" bathroom an offense just below a felony. (See point #3 for what happens next.)

So I don't much feel like I am being given a whole lot of choice. I just want to live my life and help a few people along the way (honestly, it'd be nice if more of the institutions cis people depend on would pick up some of this load, because "just living my life" would actually be pretty swell.) But no, they have decided that since they didn't stop same sex marriage, they are coming after trans people next. We are but tiny pawns in a game between a huge and oppressive force of cisgender heterosexuals, and a small, but still way bigger than us, force of gays and lesbians.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean
    I'm not so sure your brand of activism helps me.
    I guess what I'm trying to do here is get people to look at the bigger picture. The activism of transgender people has by and large won you the ability you enjoy to exist in public. As late as the 1980s in some states, Texas being one of them, there were laws specifically against crossdressing in public. And yes, they enforced them at times. I have a friend who's father did precisely that. Enjoy having places where you can go without fear of being ejected for CDing? Again, thank a trans person. We fought for all that.

The thing is - they aren't just coming for people like me. They don't understand, nor care about, the differences between a CD and a TS. If they manage to do half the things they seem to have in mind, I think you'll find people's perceptions of CDing to be very different. Look, CDs already have a lot of the same problems as TSs, at least if they are outed. You could lose your jobs, lose your kids, etc. How much worse do you think that will be when some aspects of going to public spaces is made illegal for us all? The SECOND you put the word "illegal" in the sentence, many otherwise reasonable people will assume you are doing something awful - even if the law against what you are doing is completely unfair and unreasonable. How well received do you think you'll be in public when the image people have of you, thanks to their propaganda, is that you are a potential rapist and pedophile? Because that is what they are telling people we are. They are after all of us.

The stuff they are doing now is nasty, ham-handed, and potentially pretty lethal. But it's also fairly dumb. I have watched this happen before, during the Reagan years. It took one small change to executive policy, guided by rather intelligent, but hateful people, to make transition nearly impossible for hundreds of thousands of us for 30 years. I am reasonably certain that someone of that ilk, if they had access to power, could do fairly unobvious things that would be lethal to someone like me, and make your life as a CD quite miserable.

That's assuming they need subtlety. It is possible, of course, that mean, dumb, and ham-handed will get the job done, depending on the outcomes of our next national elections.

By the way, I think the type of activism you do - being yourself in public - IS actually very helpful. And I understand not everyone is cut out to be an activist. I really do get that. But what I do hope to accomplish here is a wakeup call. There are political people out there who are intent on using us as scapegoats. Historically speaking, it's really bad to be the scapegoat.

So wakeup already. Look, I've talked to friends in Houston. Some of them tell me that after those horrible ads aired - they DID notice much less friendly treatment. Can you imagine what it will be like after a hatchet job like that on a national scale gets done to us?

We can blame Cait. We can blame certain fundamentalists. We can blame politicians. We can blame Big Gay Inc. (tm). We can blame trans activists like Crazy Paula. I don't care who we blame really - the point is - dangerous stuff is on the horizon, and all of us need to be aware of it.

If nothing else, doesn't it disturb you, even a little, that the central message being used against us right now is this "We can't let transgenders (sic) into the women's restroom because what happens if a man who claims to one day feel like a woman, another day like a man, tries to use the women's room? What happens to our wives and daughters?!?"

If it doesn't chill you that the behavior I've bolded that they use to justify their bogus fears doesn't apply at all to someone like me, but totally describes many of you, then I don't know what else to say.

The stakes are much higher than a reality TV show. God I wish they weren't.

Banned Read only
    I guess what I'm trying to do here is get people to look at the bigger picture. The activism of transgender people has by and large won you the ability you enjoy to exist in public. As late as the 1980s in some states, Texas being one of them, there were laws specifically against crossdressing in public. And yes, they enforced them at times. I have a friend who's father did precisely that. Enjoy having places where you can go without fear of being ejected for CDing? Again, thank a trans person. We fought for all that.
    As information for R J and younger folks, in New York State, the law used to be that you had to wear at least 3 articles of clothing consistent with your documented sex. Otherwise, you could be arrested. This was the basis the police used for rousting CD/TG/TS folks at places like the Stonewall Inn and that was how the riots started.

DeeAnn