Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: late onset crossdressing

I would say that for us who are 40+ years old, easy to see that how society was back then would cause us to repress ourselves. Still today as well, but not to the degree. Where we were raised also fits into the equation, as does how we were raised. In my case, not having a solid healthy strong bond with my mother, and no sisters (only child) was a reason as to why it wasn't until my later teen years did my 1st cognizant feelings emerge of want to be her instead of wanting to be with her, although I sometimes felt both simultaneously.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I just saw this.

Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    My hypothesis is that many late-onset will have had unconscious dysphoria and suppressed wishes to be a female.

I agree. I don't think transsexualism pops up out of the blue in middle age.

But, to put it in perspective, of the 4,500 people who have logged into this forum in the last three months, how many will end up transitioning. A dozen or so? Two dozen maybe?

My pet theory is that late TS realization will continue to decrease as people of our generation die off. Younger people have all the information at their disposal, increasing awareness in the general population, and medical practices in place that facilitate the recognition of gender dysphoria.
    Reine

You've been here 10 years, and seen it all, you're right I feel, very few cross gender rather than clothing.

While among the better-informed, educated, wealthier caucasian middle classes, yes no doubt it might even become the fashionable replacement for dyslexia or asbergers, nonethless I have to question whether the awareness will be well-spread outside of those who do inform themselves well. It will take decades to educate teachers to spot early signs, and in many environments it will not be safe for the male to express femme due to school bullying, to workplace subtle nonacceptance, to wider family worries.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I am 57, and I have been cross dressing for about a year. I am content to cross dress. My wife and I go shopping together for women's clothes. I've tried clothes on in Lane Bryant. Occasionally, wearing a heavy winter jacket, I have gone out with my breast forms. I sleep in nighties and/or camisoles most every night, and often wear mascara and eye shadow. I have a wig on order. What prevents me from going out en femme (so far)
    is my unwillingness to shave off my facial hair.
    Still, I enjoy the liberation cross dressing brings.
    There really is not a CD caste system, is there?

I hope not, Riley. Perhaps different "groupings" of interests and sense of gender, sexuality and cd habit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

That's a relief....

I must have been one of the 2 dozen of 2014!

Yes, you must have been. You're doing so well too, congratulations!

The two dozen is an arbitrary number. I'm not about to start going through all the threads and counting how many have transitioned vs just asking about it. But, I don't think it's a high number like 5%, which would mean 225 people.
    Reine

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    Hi Heather, I hope I said "hypothesis" not "theory" :-), the former is like a possibility to be explored, confirmed or disproven, a theory would be when everything fits.

My hypothesis fits for me as a late-onset of gender self-realisation due to repressions caused by life situations and shaping events and epochs. I wanted to see if folks would respond with "i'm late-onset but happy with cross-dressing", whether others would respond with "I'm late-onset and wondering if I'm TS", and any other variations. If I'd been asked 10 months ago I'd have replied the former, now I'd say I know I'm TS; time allows us to change or to allow more to emerge of the true self.
    Thanks Pamela. You originally asked if there were members who were "late onset" crossdressers who have NOT turned out to be late-onset TS. I would guess there is no greater likelihood for those who simply begin to crossdress later in life to be TS than if they began crossdressing earlier in life.
    Last edited by heatherdress; 01-27-2016 at 01:58 AM.

i have to say that carla4guage could not have said it any better for me......

Pamela,
    I am approaching 56 and it has been in the last year that I have started crossdressing. I am doing it very slowly, started with underdressing and am now wearing a little makeup.
    I did purchase some dresses from craigslist and that was a mistake.
    I have visited a transformation shop once, but was so nervous that I cannot bring myself to return.
    When I was a teenager I did try on my sisters clothes, but never had a desire until a year ago.

I am just now getting the courage to purchase other items for my journey.
    I have no desire to do anything more that crossdress. As someone said having real boobs sounds better as a female, but as a male it just does not work for me.

Great thread.

Randi