Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confession: Just didn't have the marbles

Confession: Just didn't have the marbles

This is not really a shopping thread thought it starts out that way. Had the day off yesterday so Krissy got dressed and went out with no real destination in mind, but to do some shopping. Cabelas happened to be on the way to the mall so I decided to stop off and go walk the aisles. Now, as a man, Cabelas has often been the only place I would say that I could go and wander around aimlessly just enjoying the experience. For those of you that don't know, Cabelas is a major hunting/guns/fishing/camping/outdoor man-cave store. Now they also have a large women's clothing section as well and women shop there all the time.

However, as I pulled up and parked and saw the guys in flannel walking in and out, I just couldn't get out of the car and go inside. Not sure what held me back, but I sat there for a while and my legs just wouldn't move. Finally I just backed out of the parking space and drove off.

Before you flood me with "own it" comments, I did go across the street to Target and showed what kind of marbles I have by wandering through the bra section, and then trying on several pairs of high heels. Later that day, dressed a little more casually in my flats and skirted tights, I went to a war movie by myself at the theater. I am woman hear me roar!

But just couldn't get it up to go into Cabelas. Strange?

Yeah, I wouldn't go into Cabellas in girlform either. lol

You still went into targets which is a lot more than a lot of us will do. Every time I go out, I do like to "push" myself a little bit more each time but have yet to go into a store or even just to get gas. It will come in time I am sure and one day you'll walk into Cabelas without thinking anything about it.

Don't let other people push you pass your comfort zone, you didn't feel comfortable and leaving was the wise choice. had you forced yourself into that store, you wouldn't have had fun shopping and probably would have stood out like a sore thumb just by your sheer nervousness of being there.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by threeheavenshigh View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't go into Cabellas in girlform either. lol
    I doubt I'd go in either boy or girl form really...

I have shopped in girl mode at Cabellas in Michigan - no problems

Not strange at all. I wouldn't have any particular urge to go into a Cabela's store (or the like) either - in drab or en femme.

Never know how Bubba might react. The stats on hate crimes committed against transgender individuals by their ilk make this a very legitimate concern. Maybe not in the store itself as there are too many customers around, not to mention the security cams - but what if one of those dudes were to follow you outside for the purpose of stalking you and who knows what else?...
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 01-31-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I think I know which Cabela's you went to

I've been in that Cabellas on I35 so many times. It is my son's favorite store. Everytime we have a wrestling tournament down in the metroplex we have to stop in there. Out of the corner of my eye, I always see some cute women's clothes and shoes in those departments. Would love to do that en femme but certainly don't have the cajones for it at this point. I'd love to be brave enough to go to Target!

Banned Read only
    Maybe the equivalent is not going into Hooter's but eating at TGIF instead. In the back of your mind I am sure you were thinking, "Sure as heck a lot of dudes will be looking at me."

I think it depends on how you're dressed.
    You said you " dressed a little more casually in my flats and skirted tights " later that day. So I'm guessing you were in heels and hose earlier. I wouldn't go into Cabela's that way either. But in jeans or leggings with some cute boots and a sweater top, well for sure I'd feel at home.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Silver Member
    Leslie said pretty much what I was thinking. Cabella's can harbor many redneck types who may take exception to a CD in their haven. BTW, see the "Crossdressing Redneck" in the humor section. Funny! Add to it!

Don't be too hard on yourself.

I was recently in a coffee shop/restaurant in NM wearing a pink blouse that showed my bra straps and slip. I was surrounded by tough looking men and I wondered if my being there was a good idea. I had a similar feeling at a small Mexican restaurant. There were no problems, just some stares. However I thought, why be in a place that makes you feel unwelcome.

That's just erring on the side of caution. I've done it a number of times and don't think I missed out on anything.

Strange? No, it was just out of your comfort zone at the time. I have been in at least two Cabelas en femme and have made purchases. I was well-treated every time.
    Hugs, Carole

I think the posts about an environment crawling with guys that will be checking you out, and maybe being dressed a little nicer than the average female shopper are pretty close to the target. Memorably I was checked out by a guy recently who looked me in the face and then ran his eyes down my legs. It freaked me out because I thought I might be busted, but I think he was just being a guy. So not sure I was ready to be a continual focus of attention.

It does make me bristle just a bit at the assumption/generalization that most of the people in a place like Cabelas must be "bubbas" or "redneck", and therefore ludite homophobes prone to physical violence. As someone who is recognized by most of their acquaintances as a sophisticated urbanite, I clearly break that stereotype and have many in my executive level group of acquaintances who enjoy the outdoors and all that it entails.

But, admittedly there are some weirdos in the bunch as well (just like at Walmart), and I did enjoy the "Redneck Crossdresser" post tremendously. Thanks!

I"m always uncomfortable going anywhere I think there will be a strong male presence. I'm just assuming that women will be much less judgmental, or at least less overt in their observations.

I have a cabellas near me too ,and one day I stopped in and went straight to the womens dept (thye have an amazingly strong tractor beam) picked out several sizes of plain blue jeans and went over to the man side fitting room , chose the ones I wanted and as i put the others back this guy and his wife were standing there and he said kinda snarkily "you know thos are womens jeans right?" (i was in drab) I just looked at him and nicely said with a smile but they fit sooo nice waved and walked by him the best part behind his back his wife gave a very enthusiasticthumbs up so it made my day ,The one thing I have found is that if I act unconcerned about how I am dressed no one else really notices either so next time you are at cabelas march right in after all "you own it "

I have been to malls , Walmarts, Sears , cvs Walgreens , fast food places. Gone right up to the counter and made purchases while dressed and have gotten quite comfortable with it even when the occasional smart ass cashier finds it nessasary to call me sir ! I just role with it.
    But just can't bring myself to walk into a harbor freight ! Every guy walking in or out of the place looks like they would beat you with in an inch of your life for wearing Chapstick , I don't even like to walk by it to get to the rainbow clothing store a couple doors down in the plaza. But for a good deal on a pair of pumps off the clearance rack I'll risk it , I just time it right and walk fast lol

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Going out to vanilla venues dressed is stressful for me. Because u never know what will happen. And, dressing to blend is like a visit to the dentist for me!

When I go out shopping, I go in drab. Because I can concentrate on what I'm doing. And, not have to worry about who notices me and what they're thinking or saying!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

We all have our hurdles. I've never yet gone into my Harley dealership en femme. I've bought women's clothes there but never while femmed out. It's one of those things I promise myself I'll do someday, but I try to be forgiving of myself when I consider and reject the idea. If it's important, it'll happen.

Krissy, all you've got to do is open that door and walk in like your last name is Cabella! The flannel clad boys in Arkansas are no different than those in Texas. We don't have a Cabella's in L.R., but here's a couple of photos of me at the equivalent thing, Bass Pro.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Heidi... we live down the street. I haven't been in there in years. I've never forgiven Johnny for taking our Kmart. Besides it's too noisy with all the waterfalls and tourists. LOL

LOVE Bass Pro as well. They are on the other side of town from me, but I used to go there all the time until Cabelas opened 15 minutes away. And yes Heidi, you do look great

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Krissy there is comfort level and there is just don't do it cause you might get into trouble and regret it.
    I'm sure you did the right thing you have to be comfortable with the places you go and I'm not sure I would have gone in either cause they sell big guns in that place lol

But just couldn't get it up to go into Cabelas. Strange?
    Not at all. Trust your instincts, and they will protect you.

But just can't bring myself to walk into a harbor freight ! Every guy walking in or out of the place looks like they would beat you with in an inch of your life for wearing Chapstick
    Now you made me spew coffee all over my screen.

Don't force yourself to do things you don't feel comfortable with. Some folks have a sort of checklist of places they just have to go en femme, like it is some sort of challenge they must face. If it doesn't seem wise, just don't do it.

It does make me bristle just a bit at the assumption/generalization that most of the people in a place like Cabelas must be "bubbas" or "redneck", and therefore ludite homophobes prone to physical violence.
    It only takes one to spoil your day!