Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Negative Comment

First Negative Comment

Well it finally happened. I knew it would eventually. I was waiting in line at a local thrift store buying some blouses. An old guy walks by and says, "San Francisco... take care." It doesn't really sound negative I guess, but his tone was condescending. For a while I dreaded this day, but when it happened I thought it was kinda funny. It didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I kinda just laughed it off and went about my business. Here are pics of how I was dressed, I'm not that hideous right? Well, I think I look good anyway.

Anyone have any negative comments said to your face?
    Last edited by Gina Torres; 02-03-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Banned Read only
    Gina,
    Hard to read that one, the comment could have been a compliment, maybe the guy just had a bad cold and his voice sounded harsh !

I guess if that's as bad as it gets carry on doing what you're doing and enjoy it . I can't see anything wrong with the way you look just another customer in the thrift store line !

Aspiring Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. He just probably seen a good looking lady buying some clothes and then made the comment. Thats how I would take it. Very nice pics of you.

Forget about him - enjoy hour life and let him wallow in his ignorance

You look super cute. Total babe. Don't let it bother you.

I'm glad that you shrugged it off. I think you look wonderful!
    Please call me Lisa!

You look great. Just ignore the comments.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    Water off a ducks back Gina. I was having a conversation last night with a fellow cross dresser about this very thing. I asked, "What's the worst thing someone can say?" "Freak?" It only bothers us if we allow it to bother us.

Of course the best thing one can do is smile and say thank you. It totally disarms any critic.

I haven't had any negative comments to my face, YET. Hope I can brush it off like you did when it happens to me. Gina, you look very cute and passable. In Drab I'd probably eye you, enjoying the view.
    Hugs,
    Sonny

From your picture, you look nice.

Maybe you were reading too much into a stranger's comment. He may have some kind of mental issue or his life may be in the toilet. He probably has bigger problems than is readily apparent.

The others have given good advise, let it go.

My husband has heard comments like, "Mrs. Doubtfire", "old wh..." (usually from stupid men); but has had many more nice comments from a large range of men and women. He doesn't care, he just enjoys his time out. It probably bothers me more than him when rude stuff is said. As long as they just mutter random comments and keep their hands to themselves, don't worry.

You look really cute. And you handled it well. You should be proud of yourself.

Take it with a grain of salt. FWIW: I have been called worse that that in guy mode at the malls. Teenagers, sitting on benches making fun of anyone walking by. Words are one thing, but just hope they are never brave enough to touch us. I refer to the news stories of the knock-out games they play.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Well it's his problem not yours you look very nice, nothing over the top just right for a day out

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina Torres View Post
    Anyone have any negative comments said to your face?
    A receipt checker at Costco gave me an evil scowl when as she held up a six pack of panties I had purchased.

I said, "They're for your husband."
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Nice comeback, Carla!

Banned Read only
    I had one a while ago buying a pair of flats en drab. The SA explained I uad 14 days to return them 'as long as they're not wrecked' as she put them in the bag holding them like a sack of dirty diapers 😝 She knew they were for me when she saw my name on the receipt was Ms.

I just smiled and walked out, I was so caught up with the flats! 😀

You look awesome BTW Gina, don't let the few negative remarks get you down!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    A receipt checker at Costco gave me an evil scowl when as she held up a six pack of panties I had purchased.

I said, "They're for your husband."
    BAM, that's awesome!

Could have just confused him more by smiling and saying 'Thanks!' and then just went back to what you were doing; makes them try to figure out if they've been misunderstood. We have a gay worker that does stuff like that whenever someone makes any kind of remark and I love to see the confused looks on their faces.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    old guy??....sorry to hear that happened....but next time an old guy says something shoot him down, with a witty comment that is...ok not the best advice, but I would totally do it if i knew i could take him out. Thats me though , other times I may shrug it off if they are too weak....sometimes those comments can sting...
    one time someone said i smoke like a "dude"...i just rolled my eyes and my friend said " Adriana are you gunna take that?? and my reply after I looked the person up & down was "Nah...thats too easy"
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 01-30-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Was getting a Nightgown at a Wal_mart (!) when I was like... 21? ... and some old guy while I was going up to the registrar said something to the effect of "i don't think it'll look quite right on you" ... which made me nervous as heck but also was kind of amusing to me...

then some guy in the line said something about it being like the army... "hurry up and wait!" ... either not noticing what I was holding or just being cool... I laughed and thought that was a fun comment

it can be weird and scary and amusing and offensive all at the same time in a way!

I always hated the women who would say "i don't think it's your color!" ... esp. when it was PINK!

like... I almost wish they had said "that is DEF. your color!"

oh man

I know they were just joking / joshing me but I wish I could be like "well what would say IS my color?" and get some advice!

I guess its an age thing? But anymore I could absolutely care less what anyone thinks or says?

An old guy walks by and says, "San Francisco... take care."
    Not sure what he meant by that.

If I could look as good as you do,I'd be out every day

Banned Read only
    To me "take care" usually means someone is leaving town. If he was casting disparaging remarks and leaving town, then good bye to him.

I was checking out at Walmart SA asked if that bra would fit me?
    Me : Sure then out the door
    Lets all enjoy what we do